Could the Superman books survive without Lois Lane

sethcohen said:
Is it okay to dislike the character?

I have no issue with ANY character getting married,

I just have serious issue with PEOPLE who act like Lois Lane has always been depicted.

She makes my teeth hurt.

Lana Lang would be a better choice,... Detective Montoya would be a better choice,... Heck ANY female with superpowers on a scale greater than Black Canary would be a better choice.

But he settles for a self-centered, overly aggressive, lacking in common sense, female who's supposed to be very smart,... yet she insists on putting herself in situations that require a Superman to save her.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Superman hasn't had to save Lois in a while, though. And clearly she made it through the 52 year without Superman there to save her. And clearly Clark has a lot of those same qualities in himself, since he needed other superheroes to rescue him, what, three or four times in the few OYL issues we've had so far?

TheCorpulent1 said:
Superman hasn't had to save Lois in a while, though. And clearly she made it through the 52 year without Superman there to save her. And clearly Clark has a lot of those same qualities in himself, since he needed other superheroes to rescue him, what, three or four times in the few OYL issues we've had so far?
Of course,.. she had "SuperGirl" just like he did.

Varient said:
Is it okay to dislike the character?

I have no issue with ANY character getting married,

I just have serious issue with PEOPLE who act like Lois Lane has always been depicted.

She makes my teeth hurt.

Lana Lang would be a better choice,... Detective Montoya would be a better choice,... Heck ANY female with superpowers on a scale greater than Black Canary would be a better choice.

But he settles for a self-centered, overly aggressive, lacking in common sense, female who's supposed to be very smart,... yet she insists on putting herself in situations that require a Superman to save her.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

thats one way to look at it... but lois survived just fine BEFORE supes ever graced metropolis with his red cape and undies... so shes gotta be crafty... shes not self centered so much as shes used to having to fend for herself... she "insists" on putting her self in situations that sometimes require rescue because thats what shes always done... she didnt become a star reporter by playing it safe... shes always taken those chances... and now that supes is around she just gets a lil extra help... shed never ask for or expect it... she sees herself as his equal and fully capable of handling herself...

sethcohen said:
thats one way to look at it... but lois survived just fine BEFORE supes ever graced metropolis with his red cape and undies... so shes gotta be crafty... shes not self centered so much as shes used to having to fend for herself... she "insists" on putting her self in situations that sometimes require rescue because thats what shes always done... she didnt become a star reporter by playing it safe... shes always taken those chances... and now that supes is around she just gets a lil extra help... shed never ask for or expect it... she sees herself as his equal and fully capable of handling herself...
his first appearance DID save her life,...

I like independence but c'mon,... she goes bone-head in some of her investigative reporting. her jelousy and over protectivness of her relationship has become comic relief in regards to "Wonder Woman"

Her reaction to "Cirel" - classic.

The "equality thing" is not my issue. It's the thought that she will insist on being in danger "FOR A STORY" is what bugs me.

Consider:

The women I named in my last,.. with exception of Lana Lang,.. all have better reasons to be in Danger,.. and in all cases save Lana,.. they are trained to protect themselves.

shes an army brat... how could she not defend herself?

sethcohen said:
shes an army brat... how could she not defend herself?

compared to the others,... unless they retcon a martial arts class or two in the current post crisis Lois she can't compare to everyone else I mentioned.

I just have a mild issue with her.

I try to imagine a world with a Superman.

I find it hard to believe that the competition to be with Superman wouldn't be fierce among women with super strength.

I find it hard to believe that even with true love, he would risk a moment of true passion and gut a normal woman like a fish.

And if he would risk it,... wouldn't it be with a woman who he grew up with?

I look,... Batman has Catwoman,... Hawkman Had Hawkgirl, I admit I don't understand why jesse quick and Wally West didn't get to gether,... green lantern had Star Sapphire,.... Above a certain level Supers only get with Supers for their own protection,.... except the guy at the top of the food chain!

Varient said:
I look,... Batman has Catwoman,... Hawkman Had Hawkgirl, I admit I don't understand why jesse quick and Wally West didn't get to gether,... green lantern had Star Sapphire,.... Above a certain level Supers only get with Supers for their own protection,.... except the guy at the top of the food chain!
Alan Scott didn't.
Jay Garrick didn't.
Kent Nelson didn't (originally).
Wonder Woman didn't (Pre-Crisis).

I could probably list more.

(Frown)
naming pre ww2 hero's when there was a low population of heroes,... fine.
Harlekin said:
Alan Scott didn't.
And Jade's mom was????
(A SUPER VILLIANESS)
Harlekin said:
Jay Garrick didn't.
He was engaged to be married when he got his powers
Harlekin said:
Kent Nelson didn't (originally).
Dr. Fate? Dude was taught magic and at one point absorbed his woman - so she gained his power by becoming one with him.
Harlekin said:
Wonder Woman didn't (Pre-Crisis).
A woman from what society with male population ZERO?

I could probably list more.[/QUOTE]
Don't.

Varient said:
And Jade's mom was????
(A SUPER VILLIANESS)
Alan Scott's second wife was a normal human.

He was engaged to be married when he got his powers
So? The Spectre left his wife when he got his powers. Nonetheless, that brings up Barry and Iris Allen too. Wally West and Linda Park.

Dr. Fate? Dude was taught magic and at one point absorbed his woman - so she gained his power by becoming one with him.
Yes, Dr. Fate. The Dr. Fate that operated for 60 years while his wife was completely powerless. She held the power for like 2 years in the 90's.

A woman from what society with male population ZERO?
Eh, point? She married a normal guy.

I will, anyway.
Barry Allen - Iris West
Wally West - Linda Park
Starfire - Nightwing
Just to name a few.

BlackOpsTengu said:
The Superman series = RIP.

Superman is nothing without Lois.

I agree 100%

When we were married, everyone asked me the same question. "You're Superman. Why Lois Lane?" I knew she was the girl for me the moment I met her. Lois was brutally honest, curious as a cat, and you'd never get the last word in. She was the most human woman I'd ever met. But on the inside she was more super than I could ever be. :supes: - Infinite Crisis #5

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"