'Da Vinci Code' Sparks Indian Riots

Liquid Snake said:
I know you're indian but please, keep your biased views to yourself. Indians are peaceful but they aren't as holy as you think. I kow the muslim thing was dumb and they do really live in thr 1300s but I remember 10 years ago indians burnt down movie theaters because they showed 2 girls kissing. Hinduism is a more peaceful than Islam though (a religion of peace eh)

i like this statement.

well islam would be a religion of peace if it wasn't for the damned extremists, didn't they read the part where only allah could take life? when will it end?

Hahaha. If I rioted every time people ridiculed or misrepresented my beliefs in the media my city would be reduced to smoking rubble and the streets would be red with blood.:confused:

I guess I'm just more secure in my beliefs than these psychos.*shrug*
...and more tolerant with regards to the fact that many don't share my beliefs and that NO one's spiritual beliefs can be empirically proven to be true.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Hahaha. If I rioted every time people ridiculed or misrepresented my beliefs in the media my city would be reduced to smoking rubble and the streets would be red with blood.:confused:

I guess I'm just more secure in my beliefs than these psychos.*shrug*
...and more tolerant with regards to the fact that many don't share my beliefs and that NO one's spiritual beliefs can be empirically proven to be true.

i guess you are more laid back. nothing to the extreme. that's good

Wilhelm-Scream said:
...and that NO one's spiritual beliefs can be empirically proven to be true.

That's not true. If I kill someone, their soul will go to the afterlife and they will see for themselves that my beliefs were true. I can prove to someone that I'm right by killing them. :o

5 BIGGEST FLAWS IN 'DA VINCI'

Fiction : The Priory of Sion is an ancient group charged with protecting the secret of the real Holy Grail, and Leonardo da Vinci was a Grand Master of the Priory of Sion.

Fact : The Priory of Sion was established in 1956 by a crackpot Frenchman who was exposed as a fraud in the French media in the 1980s. The documents claiming Leonardo's role were forged and planted in French archives in the 1960s. Since there was no Priory of Sion in the way that The Da Vinci Code describes it, Leonardo couldn't have been a part of it. Simple logic.

- If they are charged with keeping "the greatest con know to man" they probably wouldn't reveal themselves and would discredit anyone who tried to prove their existence and with the power/influence they apparently have, it wouldn't be too diffucult

Fiction : Politics determined what Gospels made it into the Bible.

Fact : By the mid-second century, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were widely accepted as the foundational texts of Christianity. The criteria had nothing to do with gender or power. It was all about whether they reflected the witness of the apostles about Jesus, how old they were, and how useful they were for the entire church, instead of just a small group.

- The fact proves the fiction, politics (age, usefuleness) dictated which books were used. Will the newfound Judas books make it in? Was he old enough? His teachings useful enough?

Fiction : Constantine invented the divinity of Christ in 325.

Fact : Even a cursory look at textual evidence shows that Christians worshipped Jesus as Lord long before Constantine's reign. The Council of Nicaea was called to address a heresy called Arianism, which taught that Jesus wasn't fully divine.

- Does textual evidence mean the Bible? Because if that's the evidence it's not very good evidence, seeing as the Bible was rewritten with certain parts added/subtracted for a long, long time. It was first transferred orally, then monks would copy it and add their own flavor in the margins which the next guy would add into the actual text.

Fiction : Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married.

Fact : The Gospels are all very forthright about Jesus' familial relations, and they don't hide the existence of Mary Magdalene, either. If they had been married, there would have been no reason to hide the fact.

- The whole basis of the DaVinci Code is why they hid the fact, people didn't believe other people could believe that Jesus was the Son of God if he was married, he would be seen as a little more human. It's been over a year since I read the book so I don't remember the specifics, but that's the basic gist. Heck, the Bible leaves out a whole lot of Jesus' life as it is, he's born, has a couple adolosent adventures, then is a fully grown adult. Why can't the fact that he had a wife and kid have been "lost" during one of the revisions to the story.

Fiction : Christianity demonized Mary Magdalene in order to suppress her influence.

Fact : Mary Magdalene is a saint. In every Gospel, she is cited as the first person to find the empty tomb. She was the second-most revered saint of the Middle Ages, after Mary, Jesus' mother. That's an odd way to demonize.

- The way she's been demonized is by making the entire religion think she's a prositute. Not exactly a great reputation to be given. Plus, the fact that she was the first to see the empty tomb and be regarded as the second most revered saint seems to suggest she was a little more than a friend/disciple of Jesus.

I'm not saying the theory presented in the DaVinci Code is true or not, but it does offer an interesting theory which is just as plausible as a virgin getting pregnant.

So, they protested 2 years ago when the book was first published, had a bit of a rest and are now protesting again over the exact same material? :up:

Spiderpig said:
So, they protested 2 years ago when the book was first published, had a bit of a rest and are now protesting again over the exact same material? :up:

Because the movie is coming out soon:)

ampersand said:
Because the movie is coming out soon:)
I know.

I was pointing out the absurdity of their intermittent protests.

I really don't see why people get so upset. People have been saying much worse things about Jesus Christ and Christianity for a long, long time and no one protested. Now, obviously I don't believe what's written in the book is true. I do believe it is a good story though. I like the book and will probably see the movie. Is this a sacreligous act of heresy? I'm pretty sure no. And anyone who reads the Da Vinci Code and takes it all as fact is really not intelligent enough for me to care about what they think anyways.

Spiderpig said:
I know.

I was pointing out the absurdity of their intermittent protests.

And I was pointing out that it isn't absurd.

it's not absurd to protest. what's absurd is demanding that the movie be pulled from theaters.

ampersand said:
And I was pointing out that it isn't absurd.
If they feel so strongly about it why only protest at the time the book/movie is released? It's not like the book just disappeared for 2 years.

Perhaps they just want to get on TV.

There's the Catholic Church for you.
Remember the Spanish Inquisition?

celldog said:
Brown has a "gnostic" world-view. It stands to reason that he truly believes these things.

You make it seem like being Gnostic is a bad thing. :(

The first reviews of the movie are in, they say it blows. It has a 20 percent on rotten tomatoes infact.

vegeta21 said:
You make it seem like being Gnostic is a bad thing. :(

If it's a false and distorted view of the true teachings and meaning of Christianity, it is.

Spiderpig said:
If they feel so strongly about it why only protest at the time the book/movie is released? It's not like the book just disappeared for 2 years.

Perhaps they just want to get on TV.

In the public eye, the book basically did disappear for two years. I understand where you are coming from, but people are only protesting because the book/movie is back in the spotlight.

Bad Superman said:
If it's a false and distorted view of the true teachings and meaning of Christianity, it is.

That is such an un-Christian thing to say.

Yeah till old man wayne finally tells him in the future that he’s another labrats for amada walller’s for project superman reborn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"