Damien Chazelle's First Man (Neil Armstrong Biopic Starring Ryan Gosling)

Claire Foy looks like she's going to be great in this.

Claire Foy is gonna be great in this. Oscar nomination coming.
Not sure about Gosling. I expect something more expressive with him this time. He has always been subtle in his acting career.

Not sure about Gosling. I expect something more expressive with him this time. He has always been subtle in his acting career.

nah with Drive, Blade Runner and Only God Forgives sure. But he's been expressive

Neil Armstrong isn't really an expressive character.

I got a little bit of Terrance Malick and Michael Mann vibes from that trailer. Looks quite good though.

eSzGdVM.jpg

I didn't realize they shot some scenes in IMAX.

Has anyone seen the IMAX preview? 'Twas intense and claustrophobia inducing.

Word from Venice is pretty good. Seems Claire Foy is the standout.

Eh, her character is not really interesting in the script, so more props to Foy for standing out. She gets about one good scene for her character, it could be enough for a nom tho. I still have Chazelle as the front runner to win another best director oscar for this. Script is great.

The trailer makes the script seem quite generic. I hope that's not the case. I'm expecting to be wowed by the visuals, and Gosling. But i already have my b.s meter on when it comes to the moon landings (not that i have a specific side that i've taken, but i'm a huge skeptic). So i hope to be invested like i was with Whiplash (quite possibly entering my top 10 of all time) and La La Land (the only musical that i can stomach). But the fact that this is a biopic with an outcome that we all know...i'm not super confident that this will blow me away.

It was only a matter of time before we get "the moon landing was fake" nonsense.

The trailer makes the script seem quite generic. I hope that's not the case. I'm expecting to be wowed by the visuals, and Gosling. But i already have my b.s meter on when it comes to the moon landings (not that i have a specific side that i've taken, but i'm a huge skeptic). So i hope to be invested like i was with Whiplash (quite possibly entering my top 10 of all time) and La La Land (the only musical that i can stomach). But the fact that this is a biopic with an outcome that we all know...i'm not super confident that this will blow me away.

Thr moon landing is among the most well doucmented events in human history with records of everyone repsonsible for every damn bolt and screw, thousands of hours of video, film and audio from every step of the way readily available as part of the public record. Doubting it doesnt even amount to skepticism, just a rejection of the very grounds of an evidence based view of reality. It's like questioning the existence of the empire State building, or claiming that Theodore Roosevelt was an urban legend. It is seriously that idiotic.

Last edited:
But the fact that this is a biopic with an outcome that we all know...i'm not super confident that this will blow me away.

There’s a movie called The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford that I think is right up your alley.

Lol whatever you say. Thousands of hours on the moon? Public record? Cuz all of that has to be true right? Just because it’s public record or in the history books? Again, I said I didn’t land on one side of the argument. I have my theories. I actually believe they went, it’s the footage that I don’t believe. None of that makes any sense, it’s idiotic. Anyways, back to the movie. I can suspend disbelief whether I believe it or not. But it depends on how far they go in the movie. If it’s another sappy patriotic biopic then it’s going to lose me. I want to see more than a flawed character at the center. This kind of movie would never interest me in the slightest because I hate biopics and have a problem with media and government telling me that I should believe something just because they said it happened. So the movie itself has to be a real work of art and go against type for me to invest. Luckily Chazelle has a good track record so I’m at least intrigued.

Pleased to see positive reactions coming in from Venice.

Eh, her character is not really interesting in the script, so more props to Foy for standing out. She gets about one good scene for her character, it could be enough for a nom tho. I still have Chazelle as the front runner to win another best director oscar for this. Script is great.

Damien from Omen is not winning for this

Lol whatever you say. Thousands of hours on the moon? Public record? Cuz all of that has to be true right? Just because it’s public record or in the history books? Again, I said I didn’t land on one side of the argument. I have my theories. I actually believe they went, it’s the footage that I don’t believe. None of that makes any sense, it’s idiotic. Anyways, back to the movie. I can suspend disbelief whether I believe it or not. But it depends on how far they go in the movie. If it’s another sappy patriotic biopic then it’s going to lose me. I want to see more than a flawed character at the center. This kind of movie would never interest me in the slightest because I hate biopics and have a problem with media and government telling me that I should believe something just because they said it happened. So the movie itself has to be a real work of art and go against type for me to invest. Luckily Chazelle has a good track record so I’m at least intrigued.

The mission wasn't just the moon landing itself. It was months of preparation and the mission itself was nearly 6 days long with everything in campsule and from the various mission control stations recorded.

Was the Wright Brothers flight a rouse as well? How about Gettysberg? Do you doubt the circumstances of your own birth?

Moronic.

Last edited:
To be honest, the number one argument against throon landings being staged is that to this day, Hollyeood still can't get the looks of the Apollo suits right when their on the moon, judging by that brief glimpsed we got at the end of the trailer. I guess we'll see what it looks like when we see more but this has always been one of the biggest let downs of any NaSa related media. There's a lion to the suits in a vaccum that they never bother to get right.

The training sequences, shuttle test, shuttle launch are absolutely thrilling to read on the page. I can't imagine how great they are on Imax. Damien pimp slaps Nolan with his sequences and camera movement on the page alone. The only character that comes off as unlikable is Buzz Aldrin. lol

So apparently conservatives are upset because the film doesn’t actually show Armstrong planting the flag. Maybe they can get Clint Eastwood to direct the conservative version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"