Damn....get well soon Peter David.

I haven't read Spidy in ages and so was spared. :p

I know it's completely unimportant in light of Peter David's condition, but I wonder what's going to happen with X-Factor? Will they put it on hiatus until (hopefully) he recovers well enough to return to it or will they pass it on to someone else? Will they have someone ghost write this storyline using his ideas and then cancel the title until he'a healthy enough to come back for something else?

Honestly, the comic he writes means absolutely nothing in the seriousness of the condition but Marvel does have to make some sort of call on it. I wonder what their thinking process is?

My guess is someone works off his plots in the meanwhile. I'm sure there's several issues in the can.

It's all going to come down to how severe the damage is IMO. David was ahead of schedule to a ridiculous degree. So in the short term, there really should be no problem. But if the damage is more severe, then I would imagine that Marvel would end the book. It's a small seller, but had a loyal following due to David. I doubt you can repeat that magic again by just handing the book to another.

The book can always come back after David recovers after all. It had a consistent readership, the book is David's baby, and it was always above the cancellation mark. It would probably be best to just let the book end, let David recover, and then relaunch it.

The reports I read on him were optimistic, so that's good. He'll definitely need some time though. It's hardly any death sentence, as long as he's making progress there is a strong chance he'll be back and I'm quite positive his employers will be patient as need be, even if that means a hiatus for certain books.

I know it's completely unimportant in light of Peter David's condition, but I wonder what's going to happen with X-Factor? Will they put it on hiatus until (hopefully) he recovers well enough to return to it or will they pass it on to someone else? Will they have someone ghost write this storyline using his ideas and then cancel the title until he'a healthy enough to come back for something else?

Honestly, the comic he writes means absolutely nothing in the seriousness of the condition but Marvel does have to make some sort of call on it. I wonder what their thinking process is?

I'm sure there's a variety of options open for what they want to do without going down the cancellation road. From what his wife said, it seems like he usual thought process and functioning all seem to be in tact, and it's mostly the physical side that's causing him any problems. I'm sure that Marvel will give him any and all time he wants to get healthy again and they should. But if he wants to get back into the swing of things while working on getting better as well, because for some people that can actually help to and in this case I think any mental exercise would help, there's a variety of roads open to him.

It's a marvel, no pun intended, what they can do with technology these days, and I'm sure that there's some kind of verbal dictation software out there that he could use where he'd just have to say what he wanted and the computer would do the rest of the work.

He could also dictate it to someone else and they could write it down for him. I'm sure that's a process that might take some getting used to, but it could also be beneficial in that they could bring in some young writer, maybe someone still in school with dreams of writing, to essentially be an intern for him. I'm sure there would be many people who would jump at a chance to work with someone of his caliber, even if it's just to write down what he says. It could be a valuable experience to help craft new writers.

Obviously, the important thing is PAD takes care of his health first and foremost, but there's many things they can do with him in the meantime to help with his writing.

It's being reported that PAD is already back to work on X-Factor scripts.

I did! I bought Darkness of the Light. :D Sounds like a great read.

EDIT: I just grabbed the Pulling up Stakes books as well. Loves me some vampires! :)

Last edited:
Well it appears I've been donating to his stroke recovery fund for many years now.

Strokes are no joke and I hope he gets as well as possible. I've always loved his writing, he has one of the most distinct voices for his characters in comics.

Wishing him and his family all the best.

You would think that a long vested writer at Marvel like PAD has a terrific health insurance plan. He's been with them 30yrs for crying out loud.

I was under the impression that their health plan was rather poor. I seem to recall one other fellow who had cancer going broke because they paid hardly anything. :(

I can understand it being lousy for a younger non exclusive writer. But for a guy like PAD, that's been writer for them since the mid 80's, you gotta take care of the guy better.

Let me put it this way: If a guy like Bendis got really sick tomorrow (knock on wood/I don't wish any bad on the guy despite him irritating me with his work sometimes) I'm pretty damn sure that the Marvel would make sure he was comfortable.

You would hope so because you'd say he earned it. But that doesn't make it so. :( It's up to his insurance plan, I don't think Marvel can afford to play favorites with anyone, no matter who they are.

They're not great, that's why the Hero Initiative was founded.

Yeah, that was great news. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"