• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Damon Lindelof Developing The Leftovers at HBO

[YT]znkM3xyKCvw[/YT]
Dat Eccleston + Dat Fleetwood Mac cover :up:

I am really looking forward to this. Not many HBO shows I didn't like. :p

tumblr_n5tytfHX851qz8vumo1_500.jpg

Not really doing it for me, poster-wise. Aside from the taglines, I don't really see how the past two posters represent what the show is. Seriously, how does Justin Theroux going full Hulk on a wall tell the HBO audience what this is?

I see on IMDB that Michelle MacLaren is directing an episode of this. :up:

[YT]yaIvaO1ydG0[/YT]
[YT]eEJmDwJULXY[/YT]

Since it got moved back a week or two, HBO better promote the **** out of this during GOT's finale night. Because that's going to be ****ing huge.

They all go to Heaven. Given Lindelof's history I can see that happening :o

I'll be interested in reading the reviews on this one because the trailers really aren't selling me. It all just looks so...overwrought to me.

New Trailer:
[YT]mN3aHP3lMl0[/YT]

Even though 2% is still a lot I feel that if the number was higher it wouldve had a bigger impact

But i agree with flickchick. it seems a bit "overwrought". I'll still check it out tho

Last edited:
Counting down the days. :D

Even though 2% is still a lot I feel that if the number was higher it wouldve had a bigger impact

I feel like it's a fine number. They're not really trying to do some sort of typical post-apocalyptic thing. It's almost like the world is the same as it ever was. They just happened to have over 100 million people disappear in a flash.

It occurs to me that the reason the previews are so overwrought and melodramatic, and go out of their way to obfuscate what the show is about, is...HBO probably doesn't really think it has legs.

I mean, it's coming out in the summer, after all. It SEEMS designed to be a miniseries, not an ongoing. It's like summer filler to get us to the fall for the "real" shows like Boardwalk Empire and such.

I'll be checking it out because "bad" HBO is probably still pretty good but I don't expect this to really blow me away.

That's a ****load of assumptions right there. :o

I don't see how the tone of the show somehow points to HBO's belief in the show (or lack thereof), nor do I see it airing during the summer as an indication of filler. Are we just forgetting the time of year that Entourage and True Blood have aired during for years at a time?

Is Game of Thrones filler because it isn't airing in the fall? I never want the shows that I've watched/will watch to only air during that period.

The trailer is using the dramatic point of it in the trailers to the point it may come across as excessively dramatic but I fully expect the show to be nowhere like that, it will handled it in the right amount, I'm perhaps too biased since I'm way hyped for this but I believe in the Lindelof.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/michelle-maclaren-hbo-deal/
Director Michelle MacLaren Inks HBO Deal
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: Breaking Bad executive producer/director Michelle MacLaren has signed a two-year first-look deal with HBO. The pay cable network has had its eye on MacLaren for a while — she has become one of the go-to directors for HBO’s flagship drama Game Of Thrones, directing four episodes over the past two seasons. She is now directing an episode of HBO’s new drama series, The Leftovers.

MacLaren shared in the best drama Emmy AMC’s Vince Gilligan-created Breaking Bad won last year, and has earned two directing Emmy nominations. She also is involved in the Breaking Bad prequel series, Better Call Saul. MacLaren, repped by ICM Partners and attorney Mitch Smelkinson, first worked with Gilligan on Harsh Realm and The X-Files, on both of which she served as a co-executive producer, making her directorial debut on X-Files.
Hope she comes back to direct more if this is a success.

New Trailer:
[YT]mN3aHP3lMl0[/YT]

Regardless of how the series turns out this is another top notch marketing campaign from HBO with some killer covers of classic songs.

Episodes 1.01-1.05 Press Releases
Episode #1: “Pilot”
Debut: SUNDAY, JUNE 29 (10:00-11:15 p.m. ET/PT)
Other HBO playdates: June 29 (12:45 a.m., 3:30 a.m.) and 30 (12:10 a.m.), and July 1 (7:45 p.m., 11:00 p.m.), 3 (10:00 p.m., midnight), 4 (8:30 p.m., 1:00 a.m.), 5 (5:00 p.m., 10:15 p.m.), 11 (7:45 p.m.) and 18 (6:45 p.m.)
HBO2 playdates: June 30 (10:00 p.m.) and July 4 (1:35 a.m.) and 5 (10:45 a.m., 7:45 p.m.)
Three years after millions of people – some 2% of the world’s population – vanished into thin air, residents of Mapleton, NY weigh the pros and cons of a “Heroes Day” tribute to the local “Departed.” Attempting to maintain a sense of normalcy in his strained community, police chief Kevin Garvey (Justin Theroux) faces additional challenges at home with his daughter, Jill (Margaret Qualley), who’s lost in a cloud of apathy with her friend Aimee (Emily Meade), and son, Tom (Chris Zylka), who has gravitated to a cult led by the charismatic Holy Wayne (Paterson Joseph). Also of concern is a silent, white-clad group of chain-smoking men and women called the Guilty Remnant, who team up in pairs to stake out people and places around town. As tension in Mapleton escalates, the lives of Laurie (Amy Brenneman), an unexpected member of the Guilty Remnant, and Meg (Liv Tyler), a recently engaged young woman, converge.
Written by Damon Lindelof & Tom Perrotta; directed by Peter Berg.

Episode #2: “Penguin One, Us Zero”
Debut: SUNDAY, JULY 6 (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
Other HBO playdates: July 6 (12:30 a.m., 3:00 a.m.), 7 (12:30 a.m.), 8 (8:00 p.m., 11:15 p.m.), 10 (10:00 p.m., midnight), 11 (9:00 p.m.), 12 (9:30 p.m.) and 18 (8:00 p.m.)
HBO2 playdates: July 7 (10:00 p.m.), 11 (1:00 a.m.) and 12 (11:30 a.m., 8:00 p.m.)
In the wake of a series of disturbing encounters, Kevin pays a visit to a therapist. Tom finds himself in a precarious situation with Christine (Annie Q), a favorite of Wayne’s. A frustrated Meg is asked to part with pieces of her past. Jill and Aimee tail Nora Durst (Carrie Coon), who became a local celebrity when her entire family disappeared in the Departure.
Written by Damon Lindelof & Kath Lingenfelter; directed by Peter Berg.

Episode #3: “Two Boats and a Helicopter”
Debut: SUNDAY, JULY 13 (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
Other HBO playdates: July 13 (12:30 a.m., 3:00 a.m.), 14 (12:15 a.m.), 15 (8:00 p.m., 11:15 p.m.), 17 (10:00 p.m., midnight), 18 (9:00 p.m.), 19 (10:00 p.m.) and 25 (8:00 p.m.)
HBO2 playdates: July 14 (10:00 p.m.), 18 (2:15 a.m.) and 19 (9:50 a.m., 8:00 p.m.)
In the face of dwindling church attendance and threats on his life, Reverend Matt Jamison (Christopher Eccleston) continues to preach his gospel: that many who disappeared in the Departure were sinners and not saints. Matt’s campaign is detoured when he learns he may lose the church to foreclosure, forcing him to launch a desperate, last-minute plan to come up with the cash to keep it.
Written by Damon Lindelof & Jacqueline Hoyt; directed by Keith Gordon.

Episode #4: “B.J. and the A.C.”
Debut: SUNDAY, JULY 20 (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
Other HBO playdates: July 20 (12:30 a.m., 3:00 a.m.), 21 (11:30 p.m.), 22 (9:00 p.m., 11:00 p.m.), 24 (10:00 p.m., midnight), 25 (9:00 p.m.) and 26 (1:00 a.m.), and Aug. 1 (8:00 p.m.)
HBO2 playdates: July 21 (10:00 p.m.), 25 (2:30 a.m.) and 26 (11:15 a.m., 8:00 p.m.)
A holiday display goes wanting, sending Kevin scurrying to find out who is responsible. Tom and Christine run into trouble at a hospital and on the road. Kevin retrieves a surprise detainee from a neighboring police station, and receives unexpected visitors at home. The Guilty Remnant put its stamp on the holiday season.
Written by Damon Lindelof & Elizabeth Peterson; directed by Lesli Linka Glatter.

Episode #5: “Gladys”
Debut: SUNDAY, JULY 27 (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
Other HBO playdates: July 27 (12:30 a.m., 3:00 a.m.), 28 (12:50 a.m.), 29 (8:00 p.m., 11:00 p.m.) and 31 (10:00 p.m., midnight), and Aug. 1 (9:00 p.m.), 2 (12:30 a.m.) and 8 (8:00 p.m.)
HBO2 playdate: July 28 (10:00 p.m.)
Laurie’s resolve is put to the test in the wake of a brutal hate crime. After his latest initiatives to maintain the peace in Mapleton fall short, Kevin turns down an outside offer to rid the town of its problems. Matt brings his pulpit to the street. Meg takes on a new role.
Written by Damon Lindelof & Tom Perrotta; directed by Mimi Leder.

Early reviews say the show is pretty bleak. Sounds good to me. :up:

Lindelof makes it sound like the first season will hold up well if it isn't renewed:

Lindelof: This is an instance where I do feel comfortable saying what our truth is, which is our job was to generate 10 episodes of The Leftovers and make them as good as we possibly could and tell the story that we wanted to tell, and we didn’t think about those stories in the framework of setting up the series beyond it. It’s not about cliffhangers or dropping more mysteries. Lost had a mystery engine to it, so the show had to continue to drop mysteries in order to keep viewers involved and engaging in the mysteries, and we had to introduce new characters, too. The collective weight and size of that story was driving towards an entirely different ambition. For this, our goal was: If the show connects and people want more of it, there are more stories to tell in this world, but if it doesn’t, and these 10 episodes are the only 10 episodes of The Leftovers that will ever exist, I hope it will be more like The Prisoner than other series that were canceled after one season. But we didn’t want to think about the future, and were very committed to being in present time. Because the book embraces this idea of, “I’m not going to tell you about The Departure; I’m not going to tell you how or why these people went, because that’s not what the story is about. The story is about these characters living under the condition of felling like they’ll never know. If that’s the show that you want to watch, that’s the show that we want to write. But that might not be the show that people want to watch.

I've seen a few reviews that say the 3rd episode is the best and it's like a really good Twilight Zone episode.

So the show won't deal with where these people went and the Rapture? Aw. Pretty disappointed tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"