• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Damon Lindelof Developing The Leftovers at HBO

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/liv-tyler-to-co-star-in-damon-lindelofs-hbo-pilot-the-leftovers/
Liv Tyler To Co-Star In Damon Lindelof’s HBO Pilot ‘The Leftovers’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: Liv Tyler is set to co-star opposite Justin Theroux in Damon Lindelof’s HBO drama pilot The Leftovers, directed by Peter Berg. Co-written by Lindelof and Tom Perrotta based on Perrotta’s book, the project takes place after the Rapture happens but not quite like it’s supposed to. It is the story of the people who didn’t make the cut… and a world that will never be the same. Tyler, repped by UTA and Untitled, will play Meg, a young woman on the verge of getting married, but needing an escape. As a result, she becomes a target for recruitment by members of an enigmatic cult. This marks the first TV gig for feature actress Tyler whose film credits include the Lord Of The Rings trilogy and The Incredible Hulk. She recently wrapped indies Space Station 76 and Jamie Marks Is Dead and wrote an etiquette book with her grandmother, which will be published by Random House this fall.
Pretty big catch. :up:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/private-practices-amy-brenneman-star-574520
'Private Practice's' Amy Brenneman to Co-Star in HBO's 'Leftovers'
5:00 PM PDT 6/25/2013 by Lesley Goldberg

Emily Meade and Jake Robinson have also joined Damon Lindelof's adaptation of Tom Perrotta's book.

Private Practice's Amy Brenneman is heading to HBO.

The actress has been tapped to play Justin Theroux's wife in the premium cable network's adaptation of Tom Perrotta's The Leftovers, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Based on the book of the same name, The Leftovers takes place as the Rapture happens -- but not quite like it’s supposed to. The drama, from Damon Lindelof, tells the story of the people who didn’t make the cut and a world that will never be the same.

Theroux will play Kevin Garvey, the police chief and father of two who's trying to maintain some semblance of normalcy in a world that is starting to completely reject the notion. Brenneman will portray Laurie Garvey, a woman who has left her entire life behind to join a mysterious cult and cuts off ties with her husband and children.

Emily Meade (Boardwalk Empire) will also join the cast as a series regular playing Amy, an uninhibited high school student who seemingly takes the apocalypse in stride. Jake Robinson (The Carrie Diaries) will recur as the guy we all wish we were in high school.

The trio join a cast that also includes Liv Tyler as Meg, a young woman about to be married who needs an escape. She becomes a target for recruitment by members of an enigmatic cult. Should The Leftovers earn a series order, it would mark Tyler's first small-screen regular role.Tony nominee Carrie Coon, former Doctor Who Christopher Eccleston, Ann Dowd and Amanda Warren co-star.

Lindelof will co-write and executive produce the Warner Bros. TV effort with Perrotta. Joining the pair as executive producers are Ron Yerxa, Albert Berger, Peter Berg and Sarah Aubrey. Peter Berg will also direct The Leftovers pilot.

For Brenneman, the role marks her first project since ABC's Private Practice ended its six-season run in January. Repped by CAA and Mosaic, her credits also include Judging Amy and Frasier.

Meade is repped by Innovative, Authentic Talent and Literary Management and Peikoff Mahan; Robinson is with Innovative Artists.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/charlie-max-carver-join-hbos-leftovers/
Charlie & Max Carver Join HBO’s ‘Leftovers’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: Charlie Carver and Max Carver, who played the Scavo twins on ABC’s Desperate Housewives, have been cast as regulars in Damon Lindelof’s HBO drama pilot The Leftovers, directed by Peter Berg. Based on Tom Perrotta’s book, the project takes place after the Rapture happens but not quite like it’s supposed to and centers on chief of police Kevin Garvey (Justin Theroux). The Carver brothers will play happy-go-lucky identical twins Scott (Charlie) and Adam (Max) Frost, friends of Garvey’s daughter, whose laid-back demeanor brings levity to a dark world. Charlie, repped by Main Title and TalentWorks, and Max, repped by Rebel Entertainment and Sweeney Management, are recurring on MTV’s Teen Wolf.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/damon-lindelofs-the-leftovers-gets-series-order-at-hbo/
Damon Lindelof’s ‘The Leftovers’ Gets Series Order At HBO
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

In his followup to Lost, Damon Lindelof has received a 10-episode series pickup by HBO for drama pilot The Leftovers, which was directed by Peter Berg. Co-written by Lindelof and Tom Perrotta based on Perrotta’s book and toplined by Justin Theroux, the project takes place after the Rapture happens but not quite like it’s supposed to. It is the story of the people who didn’t make the cut… and a world that will never be the same. Warner Bros. TV, where Lindelof and his Adventure Corps are under a rich overall deal, is producing in what marks the studio’s first series for HBO. The Leftovers, Lindelof’s first TV project after Lost, had a smooth sailing through development at HBO, where it was originally set up last summer, through pilot to a series order. Like his fellow Lost co-showrunner Carlon Cuse, Lindelof picked cable for his next TV chapter after the Emmy-winning ABC drama. (Cuse is showrunner of A&E series Bates Motel and FX pilot The Strain.) Lindelof will serve as showrunner on The Leftovers, which he is executive producing with Perrotta, Berg, Sarah Aubrey, Ron Yerxa and Albert Berger. Co-starring alongside Theroux are Amy Brenneman, Christopher Eccleston, Liv Tyler, Chris Zylka, Margaret Qualley, Carrie Coon, Emily Meade, Amanda Warren, Ann Dowd, Michael Gaston, Max Carver, Charlie Carver, Annie Q, Paterson Joseph and Brad Leland.
Yeah, *****! :up:

**** yeah! :woot: excited for this. I'm a massive Lost fan so Lindelof going back to TV is great news. Dat Eccleston :up:

[YT]RHWBZbi9vl8[/YT]
A few seconds of footage starting at about 1:42. :up:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/08/damon-lindelof-the-leftovers-hbo/
Damon Lindelof reveals details about his new HBO drama 'The Leftovers'
By Dan Snierson on Jan 8, 2014 at 4:27PM

Damon Lindelof returns to the world of television later this year with a novel concept — literally and figuratively. The Lost co-creator is adapting Tom Perotta’s 2011 bestseller The Leftovers into an HBO drama series (starring Justin Theroux, Liv Tyler, and Amy Brenneman, among others) that follows the residents of New Jersey town three years after a rapture-like event whisked away 140 million people across the globe. Pick up a copy of EW’s 2014 Preview Issue to steal a glance at a script page from the first episode, which is being directed by Peter Berg (who is also an executive producer on the show). Below, Lindelof reveals more about this highly anticipated disappearing act.

On his decision to make another TV show and what attracted him to The Leftovers
“When Lost was ending, the two questions were: ‘What are your feelings about the ending of Lost?’ And ‘What’s next?’ The way I was answering the ‘What’s next?’ question was, ‘I don’t really want to think about it right now — I just want to enjoy this process,’ but the truth was ‘I don’t know if I can ever do another television show again because I’m so terrified that it’ll be just so much less than Lost,’ and I didn’t quite know any classy way of articulating that idea…. I went off into movie-ville with no real strong feelings about whether or not I was going to do TV again. I’m fairly monogamous when it comes to whatever project I’m working on, so I spent a year working on Prometheus and nothing else and then I spent a year working on Star Trek: Into Darkness. And then I was reading The New York Times Book Review – which is the way that I pretend to read books; I read the reviews of the books and then I can articulately pretend like I’ve read them — and Stephen King wrote a review of The Leftovers, which he described as the best episode of The Twilight Zone that had never been shot. I was a Perotta fan. I read Little Children and The Abstinence Teacher and just on the premise alone [of The Leftovers]. I was completely and totally engaged by this idea. I ran and got the book immediately and I got maybe 50 pages in before I decided: This should be a television show and I need to collaborate with Tom [Perotta, who is an exec producer] on that show. It took a year for things to sort themselves out but there was never any doubt as to like, ‘Should this be my next project?’ It was love at first sight.”

On the show’s set-up
“You’ve got this big, crazy, supernatural — potentially spiritual — idea that informs every episode of the show that we’ll ever make, which is that this thing happened, this sudden departure of 140 million people which depending on what side of it you’re on, could be the Rapture. There could be some yet-as-undetermined scientific explanation for it, but still it’s miraculous. The traditional way of telling this story is you’re in immediate aftermath of this event. It’s all that anyone can talk about. Dropping into these people’s lives three years later and saying ‘This is the moment in which they get back to their lives as they were or they decide that they can’t get back to their lives as they were,’ that’s a much more interesting idea. So all decisions that the characters are making is informed by a supernatural idea, but the show is not presenting ongoing supernatural phenomena. You’re not looking at the sky seeing dragons like you are in Game of Thrones. Mulder and Scully are are not showing up and knocking on doors. But this idea of the elephant in the room of the Departure informs everything that’s happening on this show, and I felt that that was a fairly unique thing that I hadn’t really seen before on TV.

On his initial meeting with HBO for the series
“In the first meeting that I had with HBO, when I was trying to woo them in to letting me come aboard because they already owned the material, they said, ‘How do you see this show, tonally?’ I said, ‘If Lost and Friday Night Lights had a baby and then that baby was severely neglected, that would be The Leftovers.’”

On the vibe of the series
“This is going to be a show about sudden and abrupt loss and more importantly, what will at least in its initial presentation seem to be one that you can’t receive closure from. If someone dies, that’s a horrible thing and they must be mourned. But in this instance, you don’t even know if you’re supposed to mourn who’s been departed because they could be walking through your door tomorrow, or you could be zapped up or down or sideways to wherever they are. So this lack of understanding as to what just occurred is the most pervasive feeling, not just in the moment that it happens but certainly three years later when the story starts.”

On what to expect from Kevin Garvey, the town’s chief of police (Theroux)
“It’s somewhat of an ensemble drama but at the hub of all these characters is Kevin Garvey. There’s that old, classic mythological construct of the sheriff of the town as the guy who’s going to keep order in a world that is basically on the brink of chaos. That’s the jumping-off point for him. But there’s a lot more nuance to that, and we have no desire to do what we would call traditional cop stories. They are a little bit more old-school sheriff stories, like Gary Cooper in High Noon, where it’s not about watching him do the job of the sheriff but the fact that he is the one that everyone is looking to to solve a very large problem just puts this tremendous pressure on him that is enormously dramatic to watch. Especially because he’s kind of coming apart at the seams just like everybody else is but he’s not allowed to show it.”

On how deep this ensemble drama will go
“What we’re striving to do in Mapleton in a lot of ways is what The Simpsons did for Springfield which is people who have a line or two lines or are just extras in a scene can become credibly prominent sources later on in unexpected ways. There’s no such thing as an extra on The Leftovers.”

On if Lindelof already knows how his version of The Leftovers will end
“The answer is yes, but I think that there is a fair amount of hubris in planning too far ahead, because we don’t know if anyone’s going to watch the show or if there’s going to be a second season of the show. If the first season works and we like it and the audience likes it — and most of all, HBO likes it — then it will be time to start having conversations about how long this story should be, and in parentheses I would put: Not as long as you’d think. I don’t want to go into this with the attitude of we’re just going to keep writing this show until we don’t want to write it anymore. Particularly with a premise like this one, I really do feel that it should be finite. What that means exactly is a conversation for another day, but everybody involved agrees with that idea creatively. It’s not a show that can go on for many, many, many years.”

On his disappearance from Twitter
“I will always love her, but Twitter and I were just too much alike to sustain a long-term relationship. As such, we both decided it was time for us to see other people.”

This show is the dumpster baby of LOST and FNL?! I'm in.

The way Lindelof describes how the rapture factors into the series makes me wish that was the approach Under the Dome was taking. That show started well, but then they decided to overplay the supernatural/sci-fi-ness of it all. "Oh, the dome is talking to us! Look at that weird egg we found, it's about to hatch! LOOK AT THE PRETTY LIGHT SHOW!!!!"

Too much. I hope season 2 is better.

[YT]tGjWr0K85S8[/YT]
Wish they included more actual footage, but I get it. Gotta sell the concept.

HBO just keeps getting better and better. :D I'm going to have to check this one out for sure.

[YT]Pv3FeBDU1Io[/YT]
More footage this time. :up:

Maybe next time we'll get dialogue. :o

I knew about the hiatus, but I wasn't too concerned. Actually moving back the premiere is a little bit more worrisome, especially since it would've had the slot after GOT's finale.

Can't wait for people to start ****ting on Lindelof and branding him enemy of the state, though.

Full trailer's been released. Can't post due to swearing and nudity, but it looks good. Kind of reminds me of early days True Blood when it was more about how the world would react to a certain supernatural something-or-other, rather than the stupid **** that show is doing now.

I saw the commercial lastnite...This looks very intresting (stokes goatee)

Looks interesting, I think probably 2% of the population is a little small though.

Really excited for this one.

I don't want to watch the trailer as the teaser was enough for me. It effectively illustrate how horrific the event is (I'd be terrified if that happened in real life) and before I thought how 2% was small but I now understand how big 2% of the world's population really is. Anyway, this looks incredibly promising and I can't wait for the show to premiere.

This looks A+ just from the latest trailer, showing gripping and dismaying times ahead, going in this with big expectations but I truly expect Lindelof to deliver the goods.

Poster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"