Damon Lindelof Developing The Leftovers at HBO

Great premiere. Sad that the show is ending and I know that a lot will be left unexplained but I hope Lindelof at least gives us some sort of resolution. Because as great as this show is, if they leave EVERYTHING unexplained I think it's going to feel like I wasted a lot of time. Maybe not though. At the very least, the acting has been fantastic. This is probably the best work I've ever seen Christopher Eccleston and Justin Theroux do. I'd never see Carrie Coon before this but this show has definitely made me a huge fan and I'm excited to see her in Fargo. And Ann Dowd is a force of nature. I f***ing HATE her character but it's only because she's brilliant on this show.

Oh yeah, I saw her in that and she was great. But that was after I'd see The Leftovers.

So in a change of pace, the opening now uses the theme song to "Perfect Strangers."

I can't even call that odd. I did hold out hope that the intro would go for something similar to the style we got for Season 1, but I can't blame them for keeping the same style from Season 2.

I was wondering where I knew that song from. :p

They should call this episode "Nora's really bad day". :(

It can't be an accident that Carrie Coon's characters on both The Leftovers AND Fargo have trouble with electronics as of recent.

Was that Lindsay Duncan doing her best Holly Hunter in Top of the Lake impression?

Hollyhunter_2616125b.jpg

Carrie Coon is the best.

I love Nora so much...

It's an interesting decision for Nora to sorta go back to the grief of losing her kids, but the way Lindelolf and Perrota weave in Lily and therefore Christine back into the main storyline with such an emotional kick was fantastic.

When Mark Linn Baker asked Nora what the odds of having 3 people depart in a group of four, that stung. Very powerful dialogue, reminds me of The Americans in a sense.

I keep watching this show and wonder why do I do this to myself.

Grace's story is f****** heart breaking and the continuous delight this show has in piling misfortune on its characters.

Will be back for more next week.

Hell, I'll be in for more when Hulu drops the new episodes of The Handmaiden's Tale on Wednesday.

Part of me was wondering the same thing - haven't we heard enough sob stories related to The Sudden Departure? Why is this show pouring it on? Haven't we had enough different angles of people dealing with the aftermath? A religious person especially w/Matt.

I don't know if I particularly feel the need for Grace to feel the same kinda catharsis Matt has had, but who knows where she'll end up.

It's an interesting decision for Nora to sorta go back to the grief of losing her kids, but the way Lindelolf and Perrota weave in Lily and therefore Christine back into the main storyline with such an emotional kick was fantastic.

When Mark Linn Baker asked Nora what the odds of having 3 people depart in a group of four, that stung. Very powerful dialogue, reminds me of The Americans in a sense.

That was great. Who knew Larry Appleton was such a good actor? He should get one of those guest star Emmy awards for that performance.

The episodes are difficult to sit through, but the payoffs are always great and makes it all worth it. I still maintain that Lindelof is a (very) underrated writer. Everything is about character.

So true. I'm going to miss this show when it's all over. :(

This episode's use of "Take On Me" was just brilliant. They're going all out with this '80s thing, aren't they?

Also, that argument between Kevin and Nora was just brutal. These two truly are made for each other in that they're both stark raving mad. But that line Kevin said to Nora that she should go be with her children...that is going RIGHT for the jugular. Great episode.

That's what makes it so good. :)

This show continues to break me.

Well, definitely need to re-watch this not just for the performances, but I missed a few seconds of things Nora said to Laurie.

Yup. Another heart wrencher. :(

Nora's Beach Ball story into Laurie/Kevin's confessional into Laurie scuba diving... literally cried the whole time.

The whole episode was tough but that ending hit me real hard. Kinda like when
Nate died
in Six Feet Under.

This is hands down the best of The Leftovers thus far. I've always connected with Laurie more than any of the characters on this show, and this episode was just devastating and beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"