Daredevil Daredevil, Civil War, and the Sokovia Accords

Its what the evidence in the actual movies points towards.

The movies and shows don't give us much to work with. After all, their focus has to be on the story which in a crowded film like Civil War they can't dedicate too much time to legislative details. But seeing as the Accords is a regulation from the United Nations we can be pretty certain it's about when the enhanced are use across borders. One of the big things with the UN is the idea of sovereignty, that countries can do almost whatever they want within their own borders, but must follow international law when dealing with other countries.

So for instance, for an enhanced individual to legally operate in say the military, foreign intelligence agencies (i.e. CIA), or basically anyone who can be deployed overseas their respective governments must acknowledge, vouch for, and take responsibility for the individual.

Now Domestically, the US could pass laws and what to do with the enhanced vigilantes on U.S. soil, but we have yet to see that. Simply put the Accords is international policy, not domestic policy.

I was going to list what I know for sure about the specifics of the Accords but I found a wikia article already complied one. http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Sokovia_Accords

The currently known regulations established by the Sokovia Accords include:
  • The Avengers will no longer be a private organization and will operate under the supervision of the United Nations.
  • Any enhanced individuals who agree to sign must register with the United Nations and provide biometric data such as fingerprints and DNA samples.
  • Those with innate powers must submit to a power analysis, which will categorize their threat level and determine potential health risks.
  • Any enhanced individuals who do not sign will not be allowed to participate in any national or international conflict nor may participate in missions undertaken by the Avengers, S.H.I.E.L.D., or any other intelligence organization.
  • Enhanced individuals, including members of the Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, will no longer have the authorization to cross international boundaries at any time they wish.
  • They must be given clearance by either a nation's government or the United Nations subcommittee before taking any action in that country, either on their own or as a part of an organization.
  • If an enhanced individual takes unauthorized action or obstructs the actions of those acting in accordance with the Accords, they will be arrested.[1]
  • Enhanced individuals who break the law, violate the Accords or are otherwise deemed to be a threat to the general public may be detained indefinitely without trial.
  • All enhanced individuals with innate powers who agree to sign the Accords must wear tracking bracelets at all times.
  • The creation of any and all artificial intelligence is strictly prohibited.

For the purposes of the Accords, an "enhanced individual" is defined as any person, human or otherwise, with superhuman capabilities. This includes individuals whose powers are an innate function of their biology as well as individuals who utilize highly advanced technology to grant themselves superhuman capabilities.

However, individuals with advanced prostheses do not seem to be considered "enhanced", even if their prostheses give them capabilities beyond those of ordinary humans.

All non-enhanced individuals are subject to the same conditions as enhanced individuals, with Black Widow being required to sign so she could continue serving on the Avengers and Hawkeye being incarcerated after violating the Accords.

For example, as long as Luke Cage stays within the US border and doesn't decided to work for the government as an agent then the Accords won't effect him.

The movies and shows don't give us much to work with. After all, their focus has to be on the story which in a crowded film like Civil War they can't dedicate too much time to legislative details. But seeing as the Accords is a regulation from the United Nations we can be pretty certain it's about when the enhanced are use across borders. One of the big things with the UN is the idea of sovereignty, that countries can do almost whatever they want within their own borders, but must follow international law when dealing with other countries.

So for instance, for an enhanced individual to legally operate in say the military, foreign intelligence agencies (i.e. CIA), or basically anyone who can be deployed overseas their respective governments must acknowledge, vouch for, and take responsibility for the individual.

Now Domestically, the US could pass laws and what to do with the enhanced vigilantes on U.S. soil, but we have yet to see that. Simply put the Accords is international policy, not domestic policy.

I was going to list what I know for sure about the specifics of the Accords but I found a wikia article already complied one. http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Sokovia_Accords

For example, as long as Luke Cage stays within the US border and doesn't decided to work for the government as an agent then the Accords won't effect him.
Great find

I somehow doubt that Matt's going to get brought in as a defense attorney in any future MCU films, without guest-starring as Daredevil. But, we'll see.

I'm pretty sure you just made that up.

We just got an entire Spider-Man movie and there was zero reference to the Accords affecting him. In fact one of the major themes was Tony encouraging him to stay as a "friendly neighborhood Spider-Man" in Queens, which is overall consistent with the claim that the government doesn't really care about small fries like Spider-Man or Daredevil.

Indeed. Combine that with the other evidence, and we can comfortably say that the Accords *only* applies to internationally-active superheroes, and has basically zip to do with super powers as such.

( Also, I think the reveals about the Captain Marvel movie all but confirm that the Skrulls are behind it. :p )

Indeed. Combine that with the other evidence, and we can comfortably say that the Accords *only* applies to internationally-active superheroes, and has basically zip to do with super powers as such.

Does that other evidence include the television side of things (keeping in mind that the television side includes Netflix, but isn't exclusively Netflix)?

Given that Agents of SHIELD only shows a dubious understanding of the movies themselves. . .

Does that other evidence include the television side of things (keeping in mind that the television side includes Netflix, but isn't exclusively Netflix)?
Yes, in fact a lot of the evidence comes from AoS. The Netflix series had yet to address it, so we can't confirm they're on board. But there's enough to suggest that it may never come up because the defenders are domestic unlike AoS which does operate aboard.

The only real inconsistency I've seen is how could Spider-Man participate in the airport fight without signing the accords(considering he's a minor, would probably need May's consent to sign). But that could be explained away by saying there's a clause where a person may be "deputize" without signing of there's a sponsor(Stark) who will take responsibility.

Until something else is revealed about it that's all we have to go on.

Technically, General Ross did sign off on giving Iron Man two days or so to find Captain America before a military task force was sent after him.

Yes, in fact a lot of the evidence comes from AoS. The Netflix series had yet to address it, so we can't confirm they're on board. But there's enough to suggest that it may never come up because the defenders are domestic unlike AoS which does operate aboard.

But it led to a registration of Inhumans whether they operate abroad or not. I think the reason it hasn't come up in the Netflix shows is because they (particularly Luke Cage) predate the Sokovia Accords in the timeline.

Or it could be that the showrunners for Agents of SHIELD don't think things through.

It's hard to really know where the timeline is now since Homecoming and Civil War happened eight years after the Battle of New York.

Sure, but it's hard to say we truly got enough information based on Civil War to say the Accords weren't broader than that immediate crisis and could possibly include all advance science that borders on the paranormal, enhanced humans, etc.

They can't ignore them forever because they are documents that seek to register all enhanced individuals.

They can't ignore them forever because they are documents that seek to register all enhanced individuals.

There is precisely zero evidence for this in the movies, and quite a bit of evidence against, seeing as both:

1. The Accords we see actually do specify the people signing them. . . and very clearly included several people with no superpowers whatsoever.

2. Spider-man acts as a public superhero for an entire movie set well after the Accords, and no authorities ever bother him about being Unregistered.

Once again, we're talking about the TV-side of things if we're in a Daredevil forum, no?

I think the best interpretation of things is the Sakovia Accords, as a treaty, authorized additional legislation concerning domestic action as well. Or the Accords have multiple layers and only the part that concerns the Avengers were physically presented to them.

There is precisely zero evidence for this in the movies, and quite a bit of evidence against, seeing as both:

1. The Accords we see actually do specify the people signing them. . . and very clearly included several people with no superpowers whatsoever.

2. Spider-man acts as a public superhero for an entire movie set well after the Accords, and no authorities ever bother him about being Unregistered.
The cover says a framework for registering all enhanced individuals.

So it says "framework for registering enhanced individuals"? That doesn't preclude it from being "all" either. If it just says "enhanced individuals" that generally implies all of them.

So it says "framework for registering enhanced individuals"? That doesn't preclude it from being "all" either. If it just says "enhanced individuals" that generally implies all of them.

As I see it, the Accords are about regulating the Avengers and UN crap, not about masks and guys in devil suits who are using their abilities for the sake of helping out Harlem or Hell's Kitchen.

For me I like the idea that the Netflix series are a look inside the dark alley's of the MCU and I want them to stand on their own without leaning on the movie side of things too much. So far they're doing a great job with that. Now I would love to see some crossovers but a big sticking point for me is that it has to makes sense and work with the story. Marvel has done an amazing job of knowing when to add more and when to hold off, it's one of the things that makes this cinematic universe works.

Also a pet peeve of mine is when people assume too much of something. The devil's in the details and the Accords, as they have been presented in both Civil War and AoS, does not indicate that they apply to the netflix heroes. I've already explain why I think that in previous posts so I won't get into it. So now if the Accords suddenly apply to them with no additional reasoning given, it would feel out of place for me and hurt the story. As long as it makes sense and right now it wouldn't.

Now I certainly would not mind NYC deciding to ramp up their own laws concerning enhanced individuals in the same spirit as the Accords. In fact it might be interesting if the police created and "Enhanced Crime Division" to deal with individuals deemed too powerful for the average police. That would be a nice running thread throughout the netflix series.

We see a bit of this in Luke Cage with the whole subplot where Diamondback kills a police officer and pins it on Luke to scare the NYPD into buying his Judas bullets.

Even if he's not publicly known as enhanced, he still falls under the framework of the Accords, as would other non-powered heroes if they want to operate.

If Matt was Daredeviling and being paid by the city, state or federal government to do so, then yes. But he's a lawyer with his own practice, so they don't apply to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"