• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Darkest films

To the thread creator :
Define dark.

Are talking about movies like say Harry Potter/TDK , which are commercial flicks but are geared towards adults . Dark here meaning having a mature content .

Or are we talking about movies in general that are quite dark on their own ( Taxi Driver ,8 MM , se7en.

Mature Content, of course. What is the difference? If something is geared toward adults shouldn't it have mature content? If a peice of art is commercialized does it stop being a peice of art?

I found The Killing Gene very dark and sad. but it was a good movie.

Mature Content, of course. What is the difference? If something is geared toward adults shouldn't it have mature content? If a peice of art is commercialized does it stop being a peice of art?

Well i would've liked it if you you more specific in what you wanted to see as darkest movies. In terms of mature content i think flicks like The dark Knight and the latest Harry Potter movies pale in comparison to Old Boy.
I see people here posting movies like TDK , Batman Returns and The Mist as their darkest movies but really is the dark knight darker then se7en. Or the shining . Or requiem for a dream :huh:.

There are certain flicks that are dark from the start and continue to go deeper in that area. Se7en starts off as a movie about a serial killer and eventually goes into horrific images of people enduring the 7 sins .

We are talking about the darkest movies we've seen. That pretty limits us to truly psychotic stuff like 8 MM , Oldboy etc.

Pans Labyrinth was a lot darker than i thought it was going to be. Mostly because i thought it was a Pg-13 film haha

Well i would've liked it if you you more specific in what you wanted to see as darkest movies. In terms of mature content i think flicks like The dark Knight and the latest Harry Potter movies pale in comparison to Old Boy.
I see people here posting movies like TDK , Batman Returns and The Mist as their darkest movies but really is the dark knight darker then se7en. Or the shining . Or requiem for a dream :huh:.

There are certain flicks that are dark from the start and continue to go deeper in that area. Se7en starts off as a movie about a serial killer and eventually goes into horrific images of people enduring the 7 sins .

We are talking about the darkest movies we've seen. That pretty limits us to truly psychotic stuff like 8 MM , Oldboy etc.

I think that these types of threads tell us a lot about each other and a lot about how we view movies differently. There is a reason why people post such movies. The Dark Knight is darker than Se7en, Oldboy is a critique on a persons psyche, showing the fruitlessness of vengeful action. The Dark Knight not only shows this fruitlessness in a different way, but it calls into question every human institution, rule, and dogma. In Se7en, people endure the 7 deadly sins, but it never really goes far beyond that. The point of the nameless killer was to show how the sins have corrupted us all even the selfrightuous cop.

It all depends on how we veiw these movies as dark, and that is why these threads interest me.

Anybody who says TDK, I have to keep a straight fact :hehe:

Reguiem of Dream
Lost Highway
Se7en
The Excorcist
No Country For Old Men
Event Horizon
Gone Baby Gone
American History X
The Crow
Memento

Wild Strawberries

The Woman on the Dunes

Chinatown

La Jeteé
Yes to these.

Interiors
Snow Angels
Through A Glass, Darkly
Cries and Whispers
Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia
Straw Dogs
The Marriage of Maria Braun
The Silence
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
The Sweet Hereafter
Pixote

and tons and tons of others.

A Clockwork Orange.

Brazil had a pretty dark ending, but that may not count.

The Mist

Talk about an unhappy ending. Still a great film.

Don't take this personal but The Mist was crap and not that dark at all, just a pain in the ass.

Pan's Labyrinth and Sweeney Todd are both definitely dark. I have to be in a certain mood to watch those.

A Clockwork Orange
Chinatown
Taxi Driver
The Thing
Seven
Mystic River
No Country For Old Men
Gone Baby Gone

I'm thinking of "dark" as in having dark and bleak themes, not necessarily atmospheres or settings.

Straw Dogs

Good pick. That ending is pretty damn sad. I've only seen that flick once, but I thought it was brilliant, I need to check it out again.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

Yeah, another good pick. [BLACKOUT]Except for the fact that pretty much the whole movie is about a person who can't escape death, the whole Black Lodge mythology that is shown to us makes you realize (but only after thinking and analyzing and reading up on it for a week) that there are no really good spirits around, except for maybe The Giant. Evil is so much stronger. That's some grim ****. [/BLACKOUT]

To each his own, I guess....

I loved "The Mist"...

Um... "KIDS" is VERY dark, "8MM". I dont consider a lot of the movies being listed as dark though. Well... they're dark, but nothing that was so dark that it left an unsettling impression on me, like "Kids" did.

yeah I loved the mist too

but I just saw Martyrs:wow:

now everyone must see that, really dark

I agree with a lot of the ones people've already said and also:

The Mist
Eraserhead
Elephant
Gerry

I watched Bully a few weeks ago trippin extremely hard on this misfits print acid and MAN!! I honestly dont know how me and my friend watched it all as hard as we were tripping. It was just insane especially the big kill scene. I dont see how it didnt drive us absolutely nuts for real cuz I have never tripped that hard before

As far as superhero movies go, TDK and AngHulk pretty much take the cake.

Seven,
8mm,
Identity,
Zodiac,

are also good choices.

Event Horizon was a great movie Addendum. I thought Sunshine was pretty dark too

i cant believe i for got that one...

that movie still creeps the hell outta me...

along with Sphere...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogmanyoyo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"