Darren Aronofksy's The Whale with Brendan Fraser

This isn't really my kind of film, but I'll definitely be watching it for Brendan Fraser. I always thought he was an insanely talented, versatile and charismatic actor who should have gone on to do bigger things outside The Mummy franchise and I'm glad he's finally getting the recognition he deserves after all these years.

Hopefully, this is the start of him getting more good roles in mainstream films too.

I know that there will probably be another trailer but that trailer was enough for me… don’t need to see anymore till I see the movie. I’m sold.

You know what? Yeah. Everything that people said about Brendan Fraser was true. He's incredible in this film. Though the movie itself is pretty typical and you can tell how it was written as a play just based on staging, Fraser was on his A-game.

Everyone was, really. Samantha Morton, Hong Chau, Sadie Sink, and Ty Simpkins all delivered incredible performances.

You can say Twitter will deem it fatphobic and offensive, it's okay. :o :hehe:

On a serious note, I'm really looking forward to this and genuinely wishing the best for Brendan Fraser. He deserves every good thing after what he's been through.

I’ve seen some hate for Sink and I don’t get it, she’s great

Sink was good in the film, but it felt like she had one mode: angry. Great performance, but I kept thinking that this girl is almost as annoyed at everything as her Stranger Things character is!

Sink was good in the film, but it felt like she had one mode: angry. Great performance, but I kept thinking that this girl is almost as annoyed at everything as her Stranger Things character is!
That's what Double Toasted was saying too. Bums me out because she has range. Still hoping to see this soon.

Well yeah, it just seems like she's only angry but that's kinda the point. You're trying to see if Brendan Fraser can break her hardened shell.

I saw it this afternoon. Overall I thought it was good, a bit of a hard movie to watch given not just the subject material but the depressing way it was shot but the acting was phenomenal from Brendan Fraser and Sadie Sink. Fraser was the main reason why I saw this. I absolutely loved the first two Mummy movies and George of the Jungle as a kid so it was great to see him in his comeback role. Even though he's been working here and there over the years, I had to look up his filmography and I realized that the last movie I saw him in before this was G.I. Joe back in 2009 and that was only a cameo. I really hope he wins Best Actor for this, he deserves it.

Well yeah, it just seems like she's only angry but that's kinda the point. You're trying to see if Brendan Fraser can break her hardened shell.
You only really see one side of her because of the nature of the story. Being from the perspective of Charlie, you only really see the part of her that faces her dad - the anger and resentment that Charlie is desperate to overcome. She is the titular whale, his singular goal, forever just out of reach.

It's definitely a hard role to play and to love because of that, but I think a lot of critiques are unfair. This is a perspective piece, it's not trying to show all sides of every character, and that's okay.

In a lesser movie she could easily fall into a caricature

Just got out of my screening and…. Damn. If I hear the words “and the academy award for best actor goes to Brendan Fraser” I will be a very happy man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"