Dateline catching pedophiles again!

they were shown back in january. There was a lawsuit against dateline because some guy comitted suicide because he knew he would be caught by dateline. the family is suing dateline for it.

There's a link on the previous page. :huh:

First of all, I think what "To Catch a Predator" is doing is great. No one can argue against catching pedofiles or potential pedofiles. But I have a question about the legal issues behind this show.

I'm watching the show right now and this is my problem with it. The men THINK they are talking to an underage person online, but IN FACT they are not. They are talking to adults and child imposters. Even if they send inappropriate pictures or links, they are sending them to ADULTS. So what they are arrested for is the intent to commit child molestation.

Once again, let me reiterate that this is a good thing!!! I"m not defending any of the sickos shown on the episodes!!!

But technically, did they really break the law?

Example: Just say there's a bucket of free money on the sidewalk. It's free for everyone. But I go to my apartment, put on a ski mask and leave the house with the intention of stealing this money. But in fact, taking this money is not a crime. So I grab the money and am subsequently arrested because I had the intention of stealing this money. Even though it was legal to take the money.

Do you see what I'm saying?

Let's say one of these guys talks to a Perverted Justice imposter online on the very first day he's ever been on the internet. He's never spoken inappropriately to a minor in his life. He talks dirty to the imposter, goes to the house, talks to Chris Hansen and gets arrested. In actuality, he never did anything wrong with an actual minor. He is being arrested for what he wanted to do, but never did.

I'm not asking if it's right. (I have two daughters below the age of 11 and I'm glad the show exists) But how is it possible to arrest these guys for what they WANTED to do?
its the same as going to an undercover cop to buy drugs or sex they aren't going to give you either but you are breaking the law by doing it.
and on the show they state that its illegal to send sexual images to someone that is under age. if the undercover person didn't say they were underage you could argue it but seeing as they tell them they are under age its a crime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"