Dave Gibbons Visits The Set and Loves It

War Party

Ve vant ze money,Lebowski
Reaction score
Although it's been long-documented that legendary comic book author Alan Moore will never support any movie based off of his work (including From Hell, V for Vendetta, or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen), that's not the case with Dave Gibbons, co-creator and artist of Watchmen. Dave Gibbons visited the set of Watchmen at some point in December, and recently updated the official Watchmen blog with his report, and it's a good one. Here's how he starts: "It's perhaps the most surreal experience of my life." Sounds like a very good sign to me that Zack Snyder knows what he's doing if the original artist of the graphic novel loves being there.

Dave Gibbons is an English writer and artist, who has provided illustrations for Green Lantern Corps, Watchmen, and The Rann/Thanagar War, among many others. Here is Gibbons’ full post from the blog:

It's perhaps the most surreal experience of my life.

There they are, in a shadowy clubhouse, standing around a map of the USA, just as we'd imagined them. The smoke of the Comedian's cigar hangs in the air as I drink in the details of the scene. Framed old copies of The New York Gazette tell stories of past exploits; trophies glint in glass-fronted display cases; Moloch's solar weapon shines in a dusty corner and over there, on its mannequin stand, the faded costume of the original Nite Owl keeps silent vigil.

Then, a sudden flash of unearthly blue light announces the arrival of Dr. Manhattan and the tableau comes to life. The voices of quarreling heroes rise and fall, a Zippo flares and the map catches fire.

Somewhere, someone shouts "Cut!"

And I'm standing amongst them. Nite Owl shakes my hand. The Comedian slaps me on the back. Silk Spectre smiles a dazzling greeting. I'm overwhelmed by the depth and detail of what I'm seeing.

But more than that. I'm overwhelmed by the commitment, the passion, the palpable desire to do this right.

I'm starting to feel a glow that eclipses even Dr. Manhattan's…

-Dave Gibbons
December 2007

Such an incredible recollection of his experience on set. If you read closely enough, you'll notice that Gibbons mentioned "the faded costume of the original Nite Owl" and below is a photo of him with that set piece. Yet again, Zack Snyder pays incredibly close attention to detail with the film.

davegibbons-watchmenset.jpg

http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/12/17/watchmen-artist-dave-gibbons-visits-the-set-and-loves-it/

Wow. The costume is perfect....

And it's interesting because before production, Gibbons was encouraging and yet lukewarm about the project. He commented on Snyder's infectious enthusiasm, but wasn't entirely won over. Now he seems legitimately inspired.

Maybe he'll convince Alan Moore to stop by?

who else thinks part 2 of his set visit will reveal the actors in their costumes? here's hoping =D

Nice read.

And I'm glad Dollar Bill is in the film.

I'm sure he wishes he and Alan could have seen it together. It's their world.

Yeah, well, Alan Moore seems pretty dead set against any movies based on his work, no matter how great they may be. Unfortunatley, I doubt he will even watch it to see how great it is.

Cool stuff. LOVE the Dollar Bill costume.

Feh. Dollar Bill's costume isn't faithful. I'm boycotting this movie. Or maybe it is. I can't remember, because when I wrote my own WATCHMEN script I changed it up a bit. Hmm...

Yeah, well, Alan Moore seems pretty dead set against any movies based on his work, no matter how great they may be.

Understandable, since none of the movies has even been close to great. V for Vendetta almost brushes the lofty heights of mediocre.

Understandable, since none of the movies has even been close to great. V for Vendetta almost brushes the lofty heights of mediocre.

True. But, to be fair, I dont think he liked the idea of his work being made into films even before all those crapfests like LXG, V for Vendetta and From Hell came out.

It's even got bullet holes and bloodstains. Very nice.

Holy balls! I hadn't noticed that. Brilliant!

Yeah and don't worry guys: I'm sure there's an O.G. Nite Owl costume on display, just as Gibbons indicated. (Like you think he'd fawk up when describing a character he designed!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"