David Goyer hired to write Man of Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont think superman is angst free. Batman lost his parents, so did Superman and he also lost his entire planet, in some cases it was caused by one of his major villains in Brainiac. T

i dont think superman is angst free. Batman lost his parents, so did Superman and he also lost his entire planet, in some cases it was caused by one of his major villains in Brainiac. T

See that's where it gets tricky though. Superman is angst free & should remain that way. Superman is an identy created to be an incoruptable symbol of hope, truth, justice & other stuff :cwink::woot:. As a symbol, Superman can't have angst, he's nothing more than an inspirational figure. Kal El can have angst about krypton, Clark on the farm can have angst about Pa kent being gone, but Superman?, no. Not from how I see the character.

Steve

See that's the problem, if you write him as a symbol rather than a person, no one relates. Write him as a fully formed 3 diminsional character, ala how bruce has been handled in BB and Dark Knight and i guarantee you'll win over new fans to the character, b/c they can actually care about him.

See that's the problem, if you write him as a symbol rather than a person, no one relates. Write him as a fully formed 3 diminsional character, ala how bruce has been handled in BB and Dark Knight and i guarantee you'll win over new fans to the character, b/c they can actually care about him

For me, personally, Superman should never be relatable. he is what we should strive to be, not what we are. The emotional core of the Superman mythology comes from Clark & his relationships with the people around him & the situations around him. Superman should be the inspirational message & the action guy, while Clark should be the emotional guy with problems who we relate to. that's why SR failed. They made Clark one dimensional & Superman into a character from the bold & the beautiful. that's how I see it & how I'd make it. but we all have our ways so..:yay:

Steve

yea superman should be a happy, friendly guy but yea we dont need him to be to squaky clean or folks will probably think he is a bit to perfect and we get back to the whole boyscout image of the character. if they can throw in some stuff that drives the character and we see his emotional stage on things it could help round out the character. But yea we dont need him to be dark and moody or anything like that.

See when i say Superman, i'm talking about clark as well. They are ultimately the same person. I agree with what you're saying b/c realistically superman's not going to be in situations where he's having a heart to heart talk with someone or appearing emotional with them. Clark on the other hand interacts with people the same way as any human would. It's what made the new batman films work. We got to see the real bruce wayne. Obviously batman wasn't the relatable one but bruce was. When i say make superman relatable i'm talking about clark and the overall view of how to develop the character. SR failed bc we never see the real guy, get his view on anything, learn anything about his personality, nothing. So as an audience if you don't already like superman there was nothing in that movie to make you like him. I prefer him being written as a living, breathing person, show me what makes him tick and develop a likable personality. Obviously this is more so done through clark than while he's in costume but the point is to develop his character/personality. I need to care about the guy outside of the costume and have my emotions invested in him so i care about him when the stakes are raised and he's flying around in a little red cape. It worked in Iron Man, Batman, Spider-man and it can work for Superman. That's how they should approach it in my opinion. Otherwise well simply get what we got last time, a boring movie, with boring characters doing nothing that we actually care about.

Last edited:
See when i say Superman, i'm talking about clark as well. They are ultimately the same person. I agree with what you're saying b/c realistically superman's not going to be in situations where he's having a heart to heart talk with someone or appearing emotional with them. Clark on the other hand interacts with people the same way as any human would. It's what made the new batman films work. We got to see the real bruce wayne. Obviously batman wasn't the relatable one but bruce was. When i say make superman relatable i'm talking about clark and the overall view of how to develop the character. SR failed bc we never see the real guy, get his view on anything, learn anything about his personality, nothing. So as an audience if you don't already like superman there was nothing in that movie to make you like him. I prefer him being written as a living, breathing person, show me what makes him tick and develop a likable personality. Obviously this is more so done through clark than while he's in costume but the point is to develop his character/personality. I need to care about the guy outside of the costume and have my emotions invested in him so i care about him when the stakes are raised and he's flying around in a little red cape. It worked in Iron Man, Batman, Spider-man and it can work for Superman. That's how they should approach it in my opinion. Otherwise well simply get what we got last time, a boring movie, with boring characters doing nothing that we actually care about.

awesome! i totally agree about SR sucking it up because there wasnt much depth to Clark. We saw about 2 minutes of him being himself on the farm and he was somewhat depressed about what was goin on in the world. One of my favorite parts in the film is just when he wakes up from his bed stands up and walks outside and starts thinking about his youth. It was a nice moment in the film imo but there really wasnt any of that deep stuff in the rest of the film. It was just the fake Clark persona(which i hate because all his interactions with other characters are fake) and Superman. My hope is they focus more on building the Clark character rather than focusing so much on what Lois Lane is doing.

When hes superman he can put on a brave face and act noble but i still think there should be a part of him when he takes off his cape that feels depressed or something because he can't experience a normal life because he has to keep his secret/protect his loved ones.

Man, if I was growing up, and my parents told me I was from another planet and I couldn't tell anyone and I had all these amazing abilities that I couldn't let anyone see and I went through my teen years getting pushed around and bullied knowing that I could literally throw them to the moon, I'd be up to my ears in angst. Don't forget not being able to have sex!

Man, if I was growing up, and my parents told me I was from another planet and I couldn't tell anyone and I had all these amazing abilities that I couldn't let anyone see and I went through my teen years getting pushed around and bullied knowing that I could literally throw them to the moon, I'd be up to my ears in angst. Don't forget not being able to have sex!

Superman can have sex all he wants, hes been haveing sex since the 60s. only in the chris Reeve movies was that an issue.

Superman can have sex all he wants, hes been haveing sex since the 60s. only in the chris Reeve movies was that an issue.

yeah , in lois and clark intimacy wasn't an issue. Same in Superman: Doomsday. The comic shows plenty of him and lois, i remember specifically the story For Tomorrow when superman and lois see each other for the first time, the dialogue and pictures show they have no problems in that department. Now in smalllville, bizarro and lana, Jor-el (young) and lana's great aunt (season 3: Relic), now Zod and Tess, and now realizes it just takes some control on his part. Only the movies and some stupid writer made it an issue. check the source material before you believe the crap from that "women of Kleenex" story from the 70s.

Last edited:
reading Peters Twitter and i was reminded what we were reading in 2010. that this would be a new approach. but now it looks like it will be based on popular comics. not that its bad. its just ntohing new.

''Wasn't the word on the new Superman that it was, "a way of approaching the story I’ve never seen before that makes it incredibly exciting."''

''
Birthright...Ursa....most likely Zod....possibly exciting but not so much an approach we haven't seen.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"