Electrix

Avenger
Reaction score
Fox, Marvel move on 'Magneto'

Goyer to direct ‘X-Men’ spin-off

By MICHAEL FLEMING

magneto.jpg

Magneto

David Goyer will direct "Magneto," an "X-Men" spinoff film from 20th Century Fox and Marvel Studios that's drawn from the villain played in the original trilogy by Ian McKellen. After the first three "X-Men" films grossed more than $1 billion worldwide, Fox and Marvel hatched the spinoff program. "Magneto" will be the second spinoff to go into production. First up is "Wolverine," a David Benioff-scripted film that will star Hugh Jackman as the steel-clawed mutant. Fox and Marvel will set a director shortly.
Goyer will develop a "Magneto" script that was written by Sheldon Turner.
McKellen's participation in "Magneto" will likely be limited, since the film is an origin story. In a storyline hinted at by the original "X-Men" films, Magneto comes to grips with his mutant ability to manipulate metal objects as he and his parents try to survive in Auschwitz. Magneto meets Professor Xavier (played as the wheelchair-bound mutant leader by Patrick Stewart) when Xavier is a soldier liberating the concentration camp.
Magneto hones his powers by hunting down and killing Nazi war criminals that tortured him, and his lust for vengeance turns Xavier and Magneto into enemies. Both characters will be played by actors in their 20s.
Marvel, coming off "Ghost Rider," has a May 4 bow for "Spider-Man" at Columbia Pictures, a June 15 opening of "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer."
Marvel Studios is in production on the Robert Downey Jr.-Terrence Howard starrer "Iron Man," which Paramount has slotted for a May 2, 2008 release, and Edward Norton was recently set to play the title character in "The Incredible Hulk," a Louis Leterrier-directed reinvention of the franchise. Universal has set a June 13, 2008 release.
Goyer, who directed "Blade: Trinity" and whose new film, "The Invisible," will be released this weekend by Disney, has scripted "Ghost Rider" and the "Blade" films for Marvel, as well as the DC Comics transfers "Batman Begins" and "The Flash," which he's now writing.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117963871.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2562

My interest has dropped.

it's not good news. but it's not bad news.
You're right. It's terrible news. From what I could tell from Blade: Trinity, Goyer is a terrible director, and not only that, he's directing off of someone else's script. He doesn't even fit the tone of the movie.

You're right. It's terrible news. From what I could tell from Blade: Trinity, Goyer is a terrible director, and not only that, he's directing off of someone else's script. He doesn't even fit the tone of the movie.

Yeah, and you can't really say that Blade: Trinity was just an isolated thing now, since his new movie so far hasn't fared any better critically.

Talk about landing on your feet. He gets booted off Flash and ends up with a better project. If the Magneto script is as good as everyone says, he'll do fine.

I don't know what to think.

Talk about landing on your feet. He gets booted off Flash and ends up with a better project. If the Magneto script is as good as everyone says, he'll do fine.

The truth of the matter is that the quality of any given director's films are generally very consistent, whether good or bad. A good script can elevate it some, but a good director is far more important to the quality of a film than a good script is.

I'm not thrilled by the choice. Blade 3 sucked & sure, he might be a good writer but can he direct a 'good' film? Magneto is one of my favorite characters. I hope he doesn't f*** it up. It's bad enough we got a lousy FF, Elektra, ghost rider, dd, & blade 3. I'm not keeping my fingers crossed for iron man either.

As long as someone keeps him in check, it might not suck. Wasn't the reason Blade 3 suck is because he stuck to his script, and he thought it was the best script ever, while for Blade 1 and 2 the directors changed some of what was written?

I guess the question on everyone's mind (except Quasada-Nu-Marvel 'How interesting! Depth! Fans) will be......"WHY oh WHY is there a whole movie on Magneto?"

because magneto's an awesome & classic character. why else?

They were saying that this is going to be X-Men meets Piano and they go and hire David Goyer?:dry: And i was so hoping that the Alfonso Cuaron rumor was true.:(

Don't want to be too quick to judge Mr.Goyer but his body of work as director doesn't give a whole lot of confidence that this will be a good movie. Maybe that will change after the upcoming The Invisible.One thing i think is a positive is that he is a major comic book fan and will bring a whole lot of knowhow to the project.

It's strange though that Magneto has a director before Wolverine. That doesn't sound right....since Wolverine has been in development well before Magneto.

The whole idea of spin-offs doesn't sound right :csad:

Hmm...

Well like alot of other people have already mentioned in this thread, Goyer is a good writer, but his directoral effort (from what I've seen) leaves much to be desired. I'm not completely crazy about this news, but I will reserve judgement until I atleast see the trailer first. Who Knows? Maybe Goyer will show much improvement since Blade III?

We can only hope.

This almost sounds like a lazy choice by Fox and Marvel.It's like they didn't take the time to look at all for a good director.They must have said; Oh yeah...David has worked on so many comic book movies why not make him do Magneto too?:o

Maybe Goyer will show much improvement since Blade III?

We can only hope.

Well, you could find that out just by watching The Invisible.

Anyway, one thing I'm wondering is, if they were going to get a screenwriter to direct this, why Goyer instead of David Hayter who actually wrote the script for the first 2 X-men films, and who has been very eager to get a shot in the director's chair? He doesn't have much on his plate right now as far as I know besides voice sessions for Metal Gear Solid 4, and a film script he was working on, those will be done long before Magneto will probably begin filming anyway.

Well, you could find that out just by watching The Invisible.

Anyway, one thing I'm wondering is, if they were going to get a screenwriter to direct this, why Goyer instead of David Hayter who actually wrote the script for the first 2 X-men films, and who has been very eager to get a shot in the director's chair? He doesn't have much on his plate right now as far as I know besides voice sessions for Metal Gear Solid 4, and a film script he was working on, those will be done long before Magneto will probably begin filming anyway.
Maybe it has something to do with The Invisable.

gg fox

milking the cash cow dead. coming off the great casting news of ed norton and practically all of iron man at marvel, way to remind the rest of the world that studio interference is still the worst thing ever

:O

err im not too thrilled with this decision, i hope im proved wrong but i'm just confident in david goyer. Not after blade 3.

I haven't seen any of his films, so can't judge, but Batman Begins was written by him... that's something good, Maybe he improves the script...

I don't think anyone can blame Marvel here except for the fact that they signed their properties over to FOX and didn't retain any creative control, which is evident by the Storm Cloud known as Galactus. Goyer does not inspire confidence.

How unusual, Fox hires a Director with a so far poor track record, and who they can easily boss around because the director has no clout. Never seen them do that before!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"