Sequels David Goyer to Direct Magneto!

Truth is no matter who they get to direct Magneto. It's not going to be successful for them. People don't go to X-Men to see a tedious in depth character analysis. Most people don't want to learn about Magneto's past. They just want to see him rip bridges up and slam them back down.

In other worlds, character development is good, but this film is all about character development and people do not want to see just character development in an X-Men film.

I would have expected more from you, Bill.

Are you generalising or going by on the last Xmen film?

It's a bit smarmy to say that as long as one half containing action of the film is favoured over the other half containing characterisation or vice versa, it must mean it's what people want!

If Magneto is ripping up bridges at all, we should at least need to see why he's doing that in the first place. It would at first lend itself to motive and then to a psychological source, but that's if it can be dug deeper beyond than mere motive and momentum of the story itself, to the point of relevance of course. Not convenience. Not bungling. Not anything that is touted as an averse impact or one that gets in the way of story, and that goes for both action and character.

I'm curious though. Was the first Xmen film more of a character study than anything else, which is why it's the least-grossing film in the trilogy? I suppose it depends on how you like to brush your strokes but again, I'd like to think that character development is only as meaningful as action itself: in other words, co-existing in a film that centres around a semi-antagonist with a Holocaust past that defines not who he is (a megolomaniac with a deep seated modus operandi) and not his attitudes towards the world (reactive/proactive behaviour upon whom he deems as inferior, intolerant or prejudiced on his kind) but also his superpowered feats (he'll not attack anyone WITHOUT reason, I should say!).

Balance is key, and I like to think that the intellectual viewer would want the film to be elevated above blockbuster status or character study. Of course, note intellectual being the operative word.

People want to see X-Men not just Magneto.

And now that Goyer is on board, expect tons of cheesy lines and ads everywhere.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20402

Avi Arad Talks Magneto
Source: MTV
May 15, 2007

MTV talked to producer Avi Arad who revealed a bit more about Magneto, the upcoming "X-Men" movies spinoff. Here's a clip:

"Think of meeting him in [the first "X-Men" movie] as a young boy in a concentration camp. What happens to his life after the war?" he teased of the film's plot. Arad quickly answered his own question, telling MTV News that the flick will follow Magneto discovering "if [his powers are] real or not and the whole journey of [his] survival as a young man."

Click here for the full article!

I hope Avi/Goyer etc bear in mind that in X1, Magneto says he first saw the Statue of Liberty in 1949 (he tells Rogue this when they look out and see the statue) so he obviously came to America very soon after the war ended!

The god's honest truth is, even with Goyer's poor track record as a director, I'd still take him over Bryan Singer.

YIKES...I'd easily take Singer over Goyer, still..

But anyway, after seeing The Invisible, I am now, officially worried about this movie.

-TNC

The god's honest truth is, even with Goyer's poor track record as a director, I'd still take him over Bryan Singer.

I love people like you.

You'll tout a C-level director like Goyer, with no industry respect or credentials from anyone around him, and slam an A-list director like Bryan Singer, who is continually spoken of with high regard by fellow A-list directors, is typically critically acclaimed, and has helmed three of the most popular, and critically praised, superhero films of the past decade.

You should check in with reality somewhere along the line.

I have faith that the script will be good, but Goyer doesn't have the best track record for directing. 'The Invisible' barely caused a blip at the box office.

I have a feeling they're going to include all of these super-powered supporting characters in both Magneto and Wolverine, so they can make it an action flick and remind people of 'X-Men'. Kinda like what they did with the Elektra film. It would be a bold move by Fox/Marvel to make a small, serious, drama film about Magneto, but I doubt that will happen.

I have faith that the script will be good, but Goyer doesn't have the best track record for directing. 'The Invisible' barely caused a blip at the box office.

I have a feeling they're going to include all of these super-powered supporting characters in both Magneto and Wolverine, so they can make it an action flick and remind people of 'X-Men'. Kinda like what they did with the Elektra film. It would be a bold move by Fox/Marvel to make a small, serious, drama film about Magneto, but I doubt that will happen.

It's quite likely they will add other superpowered characters into the Magneto movie. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch could be there, and there would be no problem with that. I have no problem with supporting characters.

It's difficult - this could either be a serious drama about a boy who happens to have magnetic powers (and get more critical acclaim but probably less box office) or a superhero flick (less critical acclaim, better box office).

God, ant, now you made me worried. You're most likely absolutely right. Argh. :(
When I thought of the Elektra movie, I always thought it would be something dark, revolving around her mastery in killing. And look what came out. Now, for Magneto, I picture a dark, sad movie, all in the mood of the first scene of X-Men. And I must imagine what will come out now. Ugh, I'm sad.

It's quite likely they will add other superpowered characters into the Magneto movie. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch could be there, and there would be no problem with that. I have no problem with supporting characters.
I'm pretty sure the twins are being kept out of these movies for possible use in The Avengers.

I cant beleive Fox is even wasting their money, come on, really?...Magneto. Of all X-men charecters they make a Magneto movie. If they did Xavier and how he found the X-men, it'd be interesting but this isnt...and now with Goyer directing I think my interest level is completely gone

Now I'll say, as long as the script is good, Goyer could do decent.

Let's wait before we pass judgment. It may turn out great, one of the best mutant films -- who knows.

I think this movie is gonna be the equivalent of 'Hannibal Rising'. A prequel, to a great character, who in the end, nobody cared how he became who he becomes.

Have any prequels really been well recieved? I mean we have Wolverine on the way, but just look at the Star Wars PT. It had great potential at showing the birth of the greatest cinematic villan of all time, Vader, but in the end no one really gave a ****.

I just realized, David S "i can´t direct or write to save my life" Goyer is going to direct Magneto.
Wow, talking about a piece of crap in the making....

Isildur´s Heir;14803007 said:
I just realized, David S "i can´t direct or write to save my life" Goyer is going to direct Magneto.
Wow, talking about a piece of crap in the making....

umm... Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Blade, Blade II, Freddy VS Jason... ummm i respect yer opinion, but um yknow... just saying... he wrote those... and those rocked

There's a difference between being a good writer and a good director. He could write a good script but make poor decisions as a director.

There's a difference between being a good writer and a good director. He could write a good script but make poor decisions as a director.

he cant direct that much is true, but the guy said he cant write or direct worth crap which i think kinda isnt true... just sayin... cant direct but the man can write especially well if he's into the material

umm... Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Blade, Blade II, Freddy VS Jason... ummm i respect yer opinion, but um yknow... just saying... he wrote those... and those rocked
It´s hard for you to say that The Dark Knight rocked when it hasn´t come out yet.
Besides that, all those movies "rocked", but not because of the scripts, they all sucked ass.
The only good thing i can say about Goyer is the revampe of Blade, the idea of the DayWalker is very good.
As a director, the man is laughable, Blade 3 is just pathetic

Isildur´s Heir;14804617 said:
It´s hard for you to say that The Dark Knight rocked when it hasn´t come out yet.
Besides that, all those movies "rocked", but not because of the scripts, they all sucked ass.
The only good thing i can say about Goyer is the revampe of Blade, the idea of the DayWalker is very good.
As a director, the man is laughable, Blade 3 is just pathetic

hated Blade 3 agreed,
but i guess we'll agree to disagree. i thought the script stylings and dialog was brillant et all...

He's a good writer (dark city, batman begins, etc) but he directed the god awful Blade 3, & also, hasn't Marvel learned their lesson already w/ directors like Mark Steven Johnson?? I think he more or less made amends w/ ghost rider (which by the way, we're long over due for a sequel already!) but made a terrible Daredevil film which should also be remade (ala Incredible Hulk, Batman begins)........why can't they get someone kick ass like James Cameron or get Singer back???
:huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"