David Goyer hired to write Man of Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screw Geoff Johns and how he see's the character, the man is living back in the 1970's.

I'm a Birthright/TAS man myself, but Byrne's MOS is far better than the dreck of the 70's or any glorified rehashing of that going on in modern day.

Last edited:
for me i still want to see them use the best traits from all eras of superman. so you get a well rounded out character.

for me i still want to see them use the best traits from all eras of superman. so you get a well rounded out character.

I know you do webhead, and I tend to agree. It's just thta, the silver age stuff should be the LEAST used, to make way for the Golden and Modern Age's that have never gotten a chance.

well yea they should find the best mix of things well also throwing in their own stuff to make their marks.

well yea they should find the best mix of things well also throwing in their own stuff to make their marks.

LOL I guess Goyer thought Batman89 and Batman returns were lighthearted?

Well he did think that "Nice coat" was a great funny line, specially after something like "I'm Batman."

Perhaps he doesnt mean the Burton movies since they were so long ago.

I know you do webhead, and I tend to agree. It's just thta, the silver age stuff should be the LEAST used, to make way for the Golden and Modern Age's that have never gotten a chance.

For me Goyer and Jonah should just focus on implementing elements of Geoff Johns' takes, Mark Waids' take, John Byrnes' take and Jeph Loebs', and Paul Dinis' takes of Superman into the film and finally show Brainiac on the big screen and have some great emotion, drama, fun and EPIC ACTION that we have not seen before in any previous Superman film onscreen.

After that all should be well....

I agree. I think it will have a Great story, emotion, drama, fun, and LOTS of action.

what I want to see is a fight that shows a real sense of urgency, with civilians endangered.

Since Nolan likes a bit of realism in his films I expect we'll see what would happen if two superpowered beings squared off in a major city without sugar coating it.

Hopefully we'll see lots of damage to numerous buildings and property. Things like highrises off in the distance with their tops knocked off, or buildings damaged and smoking.
My thing is, if two superpowered, superfast beings fought in a major city, the fight wouldn't be contained to just one city street, it would be all over.

Really hoping they take the early stuff from Birthright, him traveling the world, and the duality of clark/superman , and then the later stuff in Secret Origins, like the military angle with Metallo and Lane, also the characterization of Lex is pretty solid.

totally if they find the best elements to work with from all these writers while adding their own stuff in. We could be in store for a very interesting tale.

The author actually states a good point, which I never considered. Goyer considered himself wrong for Superman, only because the character is so angst-free and as a writer he is typically angst-ridden. So what if both opposites came to a half-point? Obviously some idea sparked Goyer enough that he thought Nolan should hear it. And this idea was so good that Nolan brought it to WB.

Now I don't think this'll mean we have another depressing and emotionless movie ala SR, but with Nolan's statements that it's something he's never seen before, it could very well be what many of us have been wishing; a Superman that isn't immediately embraced by the public. The duo have a knack for social commentary and the hero having a significant impact on his residence. I'd wager it's very likely they're going to take the concept of a "god resembling a human who pops out of nowhere as a savior", and run with it in a way that previous writers only glossed over or never considered.

It'll definitely separate Supes from all the rest because no movie (other than Batman) has truly depicted the era of a superhero in the way a modern world would react.

I'm happy there's no origin story. There would be no point to have one because every single living organism on this planet knows Superman's origin. My hamster and my fish probably know Superman's origin.

well shikamaru we dont really know how the no origin thing will take place. Now i said it before i hope we get some origin stuff told about krypton or his smallville life. so we can see different stories and views, and new look on things. Cause if we just cut these stuff out we loose characters and setting up things. For me if we are no origin. I would like the film to start out like i said before with either clark's arrival to the city. OR that he has been in the city for a few months doing secret saves and working at the planet. But is trying to be low key. Then supes goes public and we see lois and clark getting put together as a team and see lois/clark/jimmy relationship start and grow. Then throughout the film sprinkle in some smallville life scenes, and some details or krypton(ie through brainiac if he is the foe we are getting and they go krrypton backstory for him).

It'll definitely separate Supes from all the rest because no movie (other than Batman) has truly depicted the era of a superhero in the way a modern world would react.
I thought Spiderman did too.

Pretty sure Iron Man 2 is goin got do this as well, i guess we'll find out in 2 weeks!

You're obviously not a New Yorker. :hehe:
No, i'm not, so how would it go in real life?

Anyway, the Spiderman movies depicted his relationship with the people exactly the way it is in the comics and i think that's more important than the realistic approach. Its a nice way to go and explore themes realistically, but i have no problem if they just go the comics way.
Pretty sure Iron Man 2 is goin got do this as well, i guess we'll find out in 2 weeks!
Indeed.

Well he did think that "Nice coat" was a great funny line, specially after something like "I'm Batman."

Of course it had to be Goyer who came up with that line. Not Nolan because he's the goldenboy and could never possibly approve that line in the script since he's the director and all. :whatever:

I didn't mind the ''nice coat'' line myself. I didn't think twice about it.

First of all i like the coincidence on which it was based on and how Bruce remembered a simple homeless guy he met 7 years ago, but i didnt like the timing. They could have done it when Batman was in the Narrows spying on Crane's appartment or whatever, not when we first see him for the first time and he says his name!

On the other hand, perhaps they put the homeless guy there to show that Bruce's journey to become Batman started with him (it was there that he decided what to do with his life.... almost) and ended with him, so it has come full circle.

Nice...thats a good way to look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"