Days of Future Past Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree marvelrobbins. I hope Halle Berry is NOT in DOFP because she's a spoiled overpriced b**ch! She only did X3 b/c she got what she wanted which was getting more screentime than anyone else alongside Hugh Jackman and she took away from everyone else! She took away from poor Anna who was NOT suppost to regress and from Famke who was NOT suppost to be just some walking corpse.:cmad: Since Halle already got her time to shine and since Jean is dead it's time Rogue/Anna got her time to shine and look like a real hero.

Now that the *****bag known as Tom Rothman is gone I think Bryan Singer will get to do things he wants to do. If Bryan Singer and Mark Millar choose to focus on every character equally Halle will NOT accept it.

You rabid haters really do amuse me. Why on earth would Halle Berry not accept being part of a film where each character gets equal screen time when that was what she has been asking for since X2. It isn't her fault fox gave her a lot of screen time and failed to develop other characters. A carefully written script and a longer running time would have catered for both.

Halle has been on two ensemble movies recently whereshe has had little screen time and has not complained. Tell me why a screen diva such as Halle would agree to appear for five minutes in New Year's Eve but refuse to come back for DoFP?

Like it or not Halle Berry is still the biggest female star of the original trilogy and based on the e ending of X3 and the source material, rightfully deserves to be in this movie. Way more than Rogue.
:word:

You rabid haters really do amuse me. Why on earth would Halle Berry not accept being part of a film where each character gets equal screen time when that was what she has been asking for since X2. It isn't her fault fox gave her a lot of screen time and failed to develop other characters. A carefully written script and a longer running time would have catered for both.

Halle has been on two ensemble movies recently whereshe has had little screen time and has not complained. Tell me why a screen diva such as Halle would agree to appear for five minutes in New Year's Eve but refuse to come back for DoFP?

Like it or not Halle Berry is still the biggest female star of the original trilogy and based on the e ending of X3 and the source material, rightfully deserves to be in this movie. Way more than Rogue.

Testify-GIF.gif

By time X3 rolled around, Jackman and Berry were the franchise's top billed stars. And--love her or hate her--Halle Berry is this franchise's lead actress--even over Famke Janssen or Anna Paquin (she certainly made more than them salary-wise). FOX even manipulated screen-time in X3 for her at the expense of Famke--who should've rightfully had more as Dark Phoenix. So it makes total sense to secure the fanbase with 3 of the four big names up front. Hopefully they'll close the deal with Berry's inclusion.

??? Precisely. And this is your reason to invite Berry back? Because -- at the actress's demand -- her character was already manipulated to the films' forefront more than once (and artificially, at that)?

(Lightning: I like you and know you've been around for a while, but really?)

Yes, maneuvering has its place in Hollywood. But do you have any better justification for Storm being in the film other than "the fans deserve it"?

People also seem to be assuming that the character/actress were part of the equation from the beginning, when maybe...they weren't.

NanaT wrote that she "rightfully deserves to be in this movie." Her position at the end of the last film, or previous treatment therein, doesn't "entitle" the actress or her character to anything.

No character or person "rightfully deserves" anything in life. There are no "just deserves" -- only reality and fantasy. Hollywood operates on the borderline of both, yes.*

This is not what you want to hear...but the cold, hard reality is that hardcore fans don't account for enough box office to truly have any significant impact on a studio/franchise matter such as this.

Bottom line -- if Singer wants her in the film, he'll find a way...and it sounds (however vaguely) like he doesn't.

*(This is the same issue people seem to be hung up on about B. Routh and Superman, by the way. Starring in a $200m Hollywood franchise product doesn't automatically secure you a lifetime pass for continued success and all the roles you desire. No need to "feel sorry" for the guy, it's just business.)

Last edited:
??? Precisely. And this is your reason to invite Berry back? Because -- at the actress's demand -- her character was already manipulated to the films' forefront more than once (and artificially, at that)?

Yes, maneuvering has its place in Hollywood. But do you have any better justification for Storm being in the film other than "the fans deserve it"?

People also seem to be assuming that the character/actress were part of the equation from the beginning, when maybe...they weren't.

NanaT wrote that she "rightfully deserves to be in this movie." Her position at the end of the last film, or previous treatment therein, doesn't "entitle" the actress or her character to anything.

No character or person "rightfully deserves" anything in life. There are no "just deserves" -- only reality and fantasy. Hollywood operates on the borderline of both, yes.*

This is not what you want to hear...but the cold, hard reality is that hardcore fans don't account for enough box office to truly have any significant impact on a studio/franchise matter such as this.

Bottom line -- if Singer wants her in the film, he'll find a way...and it sounds (however vaguely) like he doesn't.

*(This is the same issue people seem to be hung up on about B. Routh and Superman, by the way. Starring in a $200m Hollywood franchise product doesn't automatically secure you a lifetime pass for continued success and all the roles you desire. No need to "feel sorry" for the guy, it's just business.)

This post is perfect. Well said, sir.

before Brett Ratner took over the draft by Simon Kinberg/Zack Penn/Matthew Vaughn had more a triangle between Rogye,Iceman,and Kitty and had Rogue
attending brotherhood meetings to get people to question If she was going to turn her back on X-men.That draft which had more for rogue also had
decent role for storm.There was going to a wolverine/Storm hookup after Xavier's so called death.Rogue was treated horrable after ratner took over
and Kinberg and Penn did rewrite to suit Ratner before filming beguin.It's true they had a short window for Anna Paquin since she committed to
margaret before seucring deal to return for last STand But It was ratner who decided for rogue to take cure which lauren Shueller Donnor even openly admits
on commantary for last Stand she was oppossed to.

I don't think It's fair to entirely blame Halle Berry for shortcahnging other females for last Stand.

A reason why we may be getting both Kitty and Rogue for DOFP Is because Anna may not be able to start work on DOFP till June because of true Blood.
Plus with Ellen Page signed to make her directoral debut with small film that might be clue her screentime may be limited to future scenes.

People are getting ahead of themselves.Bryan Singer Is only going to announce people when he Is ready.He gave answer about Halle because
he was directly asked about her.Have people learned nothing from Shawn Ashmore saying he knew nothing about DOFP and a couple of days later bryan
announced his return.

Good points JackMercy!

I believe you're oversimplifying my post. That's not my main reason for saying the character should be in DoFP. To the contrary, it's because that's what's in the source material.

Now...if we're saying "To hell with the DoFP storyline" (which is sacred for most of us 616ers) then that's fine. :whatever: But to imply that we're saying Storm should be forced into this film "just because" we want to see her (or Halle Berry) is missing the entire point.

The facts are crystal clear:

1.) X3 left Storm in charge as Headmistress while Xavier and Scott were MIA

2.) This film is a future event post-X3

3.) The Days Of Future Past source material calls for Storm to have a role in the storyline

JackMercy said:

And therein lies the misunderstanding.

I don't really give a damn about the studio politics, or who got more screen-time at the expense of who in 2006. Those of us who were in this forum 7 years ago have had those arguments and they're old as hell now. :jedi But the truth? Those politics have created a narrative that we can't just suddenly (and conveniently) forget as you and this X4ever user are suggesting.

Bottom line: No one is crying for Storm to be the lead girl here at all. No. Body. But yes, the character certainly does have a right to be in the film and it's important to differentiate the character of Storm from the actress Halle Berry. Let's not confuse who has actual rights. If DoFP was written differently it'd be different. Does Halle Berry have "rights" to anything? No. I agree with you. But the character she's playing is an entirely different story. Do you disagree with that? Honestly? :dry:

Therefore...there won't be any of this s*** happening either.

men-in-black-3-screenshot-1.jpeg

:cool: If this film is a sequel to X3, they need to treat it as such. And that means there are loose ends. One of them involves Storm and it's just that simple.

Last edited:
Yeah, Storm totally belongs in this film. Shes part of the story its based on and its a follow up to X3. If she aint in it its cause Singer didnt want her...

I don't think DAYS OF FUTURE PAST is going to be as split between the past and the future as the source material was. My guess is we'll see some glimpses of the future, and some key moments, but not the back and forth storyline that is in the comics. If that's the case, Storm becomes a bit less important.

I agree marvelrobbins. I hope Halle Berry is NOT in DOFP because she's a spoiled overpriced b**ch! She only did X3 b/c she got what she wanted which was getting more screentime than anyone else alongside Hugh Jackman and she took away from everyone else! She took away from poor Anna who was NOT suppost to regress and from Famke who was NOT suppost to be just some walking corpse.:cmad: Since Halle already got her time to shine and since Jean is dead it's time Rogue/Anna got her time to shine and look like a real hero.

Now that the *****bag known as Tom Rothman is gone I think Bryan Singer will get to do things he wants to do. If Bryan Singer and Mark Millar choose to focus on every character equally Halle will NOT accept it.

22636299_1353748404.jpg

Wow. What colorful words for people you've never met. Overpriced b****? Flying *****e bags too? Really? :oldrazz: There, there. Now that you've got that out of your system let's look at the facts again:

1.) Yes, Halle is priced high. Winning an Academy Award will do that do ya. Blame her agents. Oh, and the Academy, those f***ers! :cmad:

2.) The second origin story this franchise ever saw was that of Rogue. Say what you will, but Bryan did an excellent job of making Rogue the "heart" of that original trilogy. Her relationship with Logan is actually a love story in itself. And I think most fans would agree she's gotten more 3 dimensional character development than Storm ever has. Is she super-powered Rogue? Well, no. But that's because of the "reality-grounded" universe Bryan Singer created. How is that Halle Berry's problem? Her character came with flashy powers.

3.) What proof do you have that Thom Rothman somehow has restricted Bryan Singer from doing great character development on the first two X-films? Halle was part of those too and did just fine with him and them. His departure from Fox has no bearing on Bryan's directing style. So...what's your point?

4.) You've mentioned Rogue quite a bit in your post. Are you afraid that if that "overpriced" b**** Halle gets in Anna Paquin won't get paid? :oldrazz:

Last edited:
I don't think DAYS OF FUTURE PAST is going to be as split between the past and the future as the source material was. My guess is we'll see some glimpses of the future, and some key moments, but not the back and forth storyline that is in the comics. If that's the case, Storm becomes a bit less important.

Agreed. As I mentioned to BMM on another thread around here, I actually don't expect to have a key role at all. I'd be content with her just having a glorious lit-up showdown with the Sentinels before losing her life or being apprehended in some way. I think we all know the film is not going to revolve around here--and nor should it.

But leaving her out completely just doesn't make sense for either vantage point--source material OR movie-verse.

Well, the four top billed actors of the original trilogy were Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry. By time X3 rolled around, Jackman and Berry were the franchise's top billed stars. And--love her or hate her--Halle Berry is this franchise's lead actress--even over Famke Janssen or Anna Paquin (she certainly made more than them salary-wise). FOX even manipulated screen-time in X3 for her at the expense of Famke--who should've rightfully had more as Dark Phoenix. So it makes total sense to secure the fanbase with 3 of the four big names up front. Hopefully they'll close the deal with Berry's inclusion.

I'm not sure what this "lead actress" means but if you mean "female lead" you are completely wrong. Halle was the biggest female star and the first female listed in the credits but that has nothing to do with who is the lead in a film.

In your other post you talk about Storm having some kind of lead in the films, but I strongly disagree. She is a textbook supporting character (and a poor one at that because she has unneeded screentime).

Film Storm as a character is extremely flat: she has no arc, we know nothing about her goals/desires, we know nothing about her past, and we know little to nothing about her relationship with the other X-men (most notably the protagonist and antagonist of each movie). Storm as a character has little or nothing that carries from film to film, Storm has no substantive involvement in the climaxes of ANY of the films. Actions that storm does take do not arise organically out her character: she just does stuff because someone has to do it for the sake of the story or because there's nothing else for her to do. Finally, Storm could easily be written out of each of the films without affecting the structure or integrity of the plot!

If you can present anything to dispute this, I would be very interested in hearing it (maybe you will prove me wrong!). I still think anyone who has ever written a script or knows anything about film structure or script development can recognize the pointlessness of the Storm character.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what this "lead actress" means but if you mean "female lead" you are completely wrong. Halle was the biggest female star and the first female listed in the credits but that has nothing to do with who is the lead in a film.

In your other post you talk about Storm having some kind of lead in the films, but I strongly disagree. She is a textbook supporting character (and a poor one at that because she has unneeded screentime).

Film Storm as a character is extremely flat: she has no arc, we know nothing about her goals/desires or her past, we know nothing about her past, and we know little to nothing about her relationship with the other X-men (most notably the protagonist and antagonist of each movie).

Storm as a character has little or nothing that carries from film to film, Storm has no substantive involvement in the climaxes of ANY of the films. Actions that storm does take do not arise organically out her character: she just does stuff because someone has to do it for the sake of the story or because there's nothing else for her to do. Finally, Storm could easily be written out of each of the films without affecting the structure or integrity of the plot!

If you can present anything to dispute this, I would be very interested in hearing it (maybe you will prove me wrong!). I still think anyone who has ever written a script or knows anything about film structure or script development can recognize the pointlessness of the Storm character.

Well having your name at the top of the poster along with Hugh Jackman, I think that makes you the "lead actress" even if your role isn't that important to the story of the movie.

well, Bryans latest interview really suggest that the movie will be really balanced with both casts

I have the feeling that it wont be just a long sequence from the future at the beggining and then all about FC.

time will tell, tho

Film Storm as a character is extremely flat: she has no arc, we know nothing about her goals/desires or her past, we know nothing about her past, and we know little to nothing about her relationship with the other X-men (most notably the protagonist and antagonist of each movie).

Storm as a character has little or nothing that carries from film to film, Storm has no substantive involvement in the climaxes of ANY of the films. Actions that storm does take do not arise organically out her character: she just does stuff because someone has to do it for the sake of the story or because there's nothing else for her to do. Finally, Storm could easily be written out of each of the films without affecting the structure or integrity of the plot!

Actually I agree with much of what you said, especially what I bolded above.

However, Halle Berry was the top billed actress in the credits. It's her face that was pushed to the front of all the marketing materials, posters, promo and trailers, etc. Yes, it was an ensemble film series, but when people look back it is Hugh and Halle's star power that dominated the most.

And with X3 I do believe she moved into full position as the lead actress of that particular film. The storyline was basically "The Adventures Of Logan and Storm". This was made easier because Jean had defected to the "Bad People Side" and Rogue wanted out of her own skin. So those story arcs came to a conclusion beyond the realms of the film's main protagonists.

That left Halle as the last woman really standing...literally by the graves of 3 classic X-Members. :whatever: I hated that part so much. I really wanted Storm to be developed properly but not at the expense of others. However, I am fierce to defend Storm because in the X3 storyline if anyone needed to give up more time it should've been Logan. It should've been Scott and Storm hunting down Phoenix, or at best all three of them.

Now THAT'S studio politics. And to blame Halle Berry for the falling out between Singer/Fox/James Marsden/Superman Returns is utterly ridiculous.

But that's a debate for another thread.

Storm as a character has little or nothing that carries from film to film, Storm has no substantive involvement in the climaxes of ANY of the films.

I do, however, disagree with this. She 'saved the day' in X2 by realizing the only way to manipulate Jason's telepathic hold on Xavier was to manipulate Jason himself. When you think about it, it was actually quite genius writing on Singer & Co.'s part. And it was certainly part of X2's main climax. Her actions undermined Magneto's attempt to frame Charles Xavier as a mass murderer and saved humankind. How is that not substantive involvement???? :confused:

The only thing that would carry over to this film from X3 is her Headmistress role. And that's because the only other viable leaders (Scott and Charles) are dead/missing. You can't explain her absence without putting someone else in charge or just taking the School For The Gifted out of the equation completely.

And who knows...that may happen. We'll see.

Last edited:
Your forgotting this doesn't take place Immedetly after last Stand.The ending of the
Wolverine may show the beging of sentinles.The Mansion will most likely be destroyed
during DOFP future scenes.

Unfortunately, for those of us who want Storm to return in some capacity, Days of Future Past makes it very easy for her to be absent. She could very well be killed between films, which would only speak to the devastating nature of the dystopian future.

Unfortunately, for those of us who want Storm to return in some capacity, Days of Future Past makes it very easy for her to be absent. She could very well be killed between films, which would only speak to the devastating nature of the dystopian future.

Yes. Or at best apprehended [BLACKOUT]in some jail waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy off screen.[/BLACKOUT]

Well having your name at the top of the poster along with Hugh Jackman, I think that makes you the "lead actress" even if your role isn't that important to the story of the movie.

well, depends on what you are calling "Lead Actress" (there's no hard definition for what that even means).

If it was, say, for awards attention, no, Halle Berry would most likely not be submitted for "Lead Actress" consideration, she would be submitted under "Supporting Actress." If you are talking in terms of "Female Lead" which is what a casting director might call a female role, then no, she would certainly not be discussed as the "Female Lead". The role of Storm is a second or third female-lead role depending on the movie.

Patrick Stewart was the first billed among all the cast in the first two films. Was he the "lead" in those films?

well, depends on what you are calling "Lead Actress" (there's no hard definition for what that even means).

If it was, say, for awards attention, no, Halle Berry would most likely not be submitted for "Lead Actress" consideration, she would be submitted under "Supporting Actress." If you are talking in terms of "Female Lead" which is what a casting director might call a female role, then no, she would certainly not be discussed as the "Female Lead". The role of Storm is a second or third female-lead role depending on the movie.

Patrick Stewart was the first billed among all the cast in the first two films. Was he the "lead" in those films?

McNabb-Blank-Stare_GIF.gif

Okay. I give up.

I do, however, disagree with this. She 'saved the day' in X2 by realizing the only way to manipulate Jason's telepathic hold on Xavier was to manipulate Jason himself. When you think about it, it was actually quite genius writing on Singer & Co.'s part. And it was certainly part of X2's main climax. Her actions undermined Magneto's attempt to frame Charles Xavier as a mass murderer and saved humankind. How is that not substantive involvement???? :confused:

The only thing that would carry over to this film from X3 is her Headmistress role. And that's because the only other viable leaders (Scott and Charles) are dead/missing. You can't explain her absence without putting someone else in charge or just taking the School For The Gifted out of the equation completely.

And who knows...that may happen. We'll see.

Ive always found funny how some fans or users use to say Storm's role on the trilogy was pointless or that we dont know anything about her, but then we have characters like Colossus, Kitty, Angel or even Bobby that didnt have a great arc on the trilogy at all.

ok, Bobby had the scene at his home with his family, but thats it. thats not the biggest role of the world you know, lol.

Storm had more solid lines than Bobby, but yet the fans keep saying Storm role was pointless.

I can understand some hate Halle, ok, everyone has their feelings, but... Storm had a decent role in the trilogy. Colossus, Angel, Cyclops and Kitty fans cant say the same, sadly.

Ive always found funny how some fans or users use to say Storm's role on the trilogy was pointless or that we dont know anything about her, but then we have characters like Colossus, Kitty, Angel or even Bobby that didnt have a great arc on the trilogy at all.

ok, Bobby had the scene at his home with his family, but thats it. thats not the biggest role of the world you know, lol.

Storm had more solid lines than Bobby, but yet the fans keep saying Storm role was pointless.

I can understand some hate Halle, ok, everyone has their feelings, but... Storm had a decent role in the trilogy. Colossus, Angel, Cyclops and Kitty fans cant say the same, sadly.

So true! :csad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back