• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DC Property into a TV Series

I don't know about everyone else, but SMALLVILLE will always hold a strong point for me. And since it's almost at an end, I just don't feel very CGI-invested BLUE BEATLE series cuts it. In fact, if it were up to me, I'd either go for a Green Arrow series (think about it) or a very Golden-Age style JSA as they appeared on teh show.

If you wanna move beyond SMALLVILLE, then we still have loads of other DC franchises, I particularly want a Wonder Woman tv series starring Bridget Regan set in Themyscira. Very Swords and Sandals, mythological stuff. Why not? Worked for XENA right?

The mainstream TV series needs strong, relatable characters. From DC Comics, I'd like to see those anthology-based comics from the olden years. WEIRD WAR TALES!

{Challengers of the Unknown}

This fall on CBS
Staring...

Tim Daly as Ace Morgan Crack Pilot, Team Leader

Matthew Perry as Prof Haley Master Diver, Scientist

Zac Efron as Red Ryan Daredevil Stunt Rider, Mountaineer

Dwayne Johnson as Rocky Davis Olympic Champion, Adventurer

The Challs would be an awesome show, but I'd replace Johnson with Casper van Diem. Rocky Davis was general depicted as a big Gorilla type. Though Johnson is the bigger sized actor, he comes across as lean and lopard like, not Apish. Van Diem's Brom in Sleepy Hollow makes a very good Rocky Davis.

I don't know about everyone else, but SMALLVILLE will always hold a strong point for me. And since it's almost at an end, I just don't feel very CGI-invested BLUE BEATLE series cuts it. In fact, if it were up to me, I'd either go for a Green Arrow series (think about it) or a very Golden-Age style JSA as they appeared on teh show.

If you wanna move beyond SMALLVILLE, then we still have loads of other DC franchises, I particularly want a Wonder Woman tv series starring Bridget Regan set in Themyscira. Very Swords and Sandals, mythological stuff. Why not? Worked for XENA right?

The mainstream TV series needs strong, relatable characters. From DC Comics, I'd like to see those anthology-based comics from the olden years. WEIRD WAR TALES!

You touch upon a good point.
Why not do spin-off's of the characters introduced in SMALLVILLE?

Green Arrow would be perfect. We could get into a bit more mature storylines, involving the loss of his empire, him delving into the roots of vigilantiism and just helping the people from the grassroots without his resources (unless that's been done in SMALLVILLE already, I admit it's been a while...lol)

And have Queen be rounded as a character and grow into a more mature role than the ones potrayed in SMALLVILLE so far.

Even the JSA has potential.

Exactly. A Green Arrow series, IF WB SEES IT'S POTENTIAL, could be really something to watch. And why not focus on the loss of Oliver's empire? Wasn't that the threshold of the O'Neil/Adams era series? Hell, bloody good place to let Justin Hartley (the actor) grow that iconic Elizabethan beard.

I wish they would give Birds Of Prey another go. Stick closer to the source material and you have the makings of a great show that would be able to feature lots of guest stars.

Or Secret Six would be great.

I wish they would give Birds Of Prey another go. Stick closer to the source material and you have the makings of a great show that would be able to feature lots of guest stars.

Or Secret Six would be great.

As long as they keep Dina Meyer for Oracle, I'm for it.

Saw this thread and Have to apply.

I think the best DC show could be a JLA show since there is to much red tape for a movie a show would be interesting but not like Smallville. Something where the JLA gets together for a planetary or universe threatening event. And a shorter season like Ten to twelve episodes. Where the biggest characters to smaller ones all play important parts and almost every episode is part of the main plot.

Supernatural Creator Taking on The Sandman?

One of DC's most beloved comics may become a TV series.

September 1, 2010

by Eric Goldman

The Sandman could be coming to TV. For years, Hollywood has attempted to adapt Neil Gaiman's acclaimed comic book about Morpheus, the lord of dreams, but it's never gotten off the ground. Now, Hollywood Reporter has revealed Sandman is alive again, with an interesting TV creator potentially involved.

Warner Bros. TV is working on acquiring the television rights form their sister company DC, and are already in discussion with several writer/producers to adapt the series. And the Reporter says that Warner Bros.' wish list is topped by Eric Kripke, the creator of Supernatural, which Warner Bros. produces.

After years of aborted attempts to make a Sandman movie (including a version Pulp Fiction co-writer Roger Avery was attached to), there was then talk of an HBO TV adaptation, which James Mangold (director of Walk the Line, Cop Land and Knight and Day) was involved in. That never got off the ground either, leading to Warner TV (who were not involved in the HBO version) going after the property. No network is currently attached to this new incarnation.

The Reporter notes that Neil Gaiman is not currently involved in any TV adaptation, but that securing him will "prove key for the project to go forward." They say that Kripke is interested in Sandman, but, "cautious because the comic book has such a passionate following and is held in such high regard." They go on to say Kripke is well aware how every single decision on a project like this will be scrutinized by fans of the comic.

As a big fan of both The Sandman and of Kripke's very cool, clever and involving Supernatural, color me curious. But I'm sure you all have some thoughts on the matter as well, no? Let us know what you think in the comments!

http://tv.ign.com/articles/111/1117682p1.html

What do you think?

I like Kripke. I depends if it's gonna be on HBO or not. I think that would be the best choice because it's very unconventional.

Yeah, if it's headed for the CW, I've already got my head in the oven.

But why would Dawn even allow this kind of show. They aim at teens.

Last time I checked she was only aiming at girls...

Oops i forgot to finish the sentence, teen girls.

So we were both right. :D

This is why I put Wonder Woman on my list, cuz it and Zatanna are the only DC properties that have a chance of making it on TV.

TributetoJasonTodd.jpg

And season two could have Jason Todd as the main bad guy.
The series would be about Dick's leaving Gotham and trying to get out of Bruce's shadow. And to Jason Dick is like the golden son. He's Bruce's favorite. While Jason is the son that just can't do things right, and he hates Dick for that.
(the only problem would be the timeline, since Dick sort of JUST left and jason came after and then Tim. Maybe if they fudged things a little and had Jason first.)
But I love the idea of Jason posing as Batman (with the gas mask stuff) and then showing up as Red Hood, and then as the Robin Masked Red Hood. Him showing up to hurt Dick because he hates his relationship with Batman, even though Dick would be currently estranged from Batman and on terrible terms. It would sort of be the opposite of the episode with Tim Drake, who looks to have a better relationship with Batman than Dick had. Season One it would be Blockbuster or something, season two could be Jason Todd.

300px-Jason-todd_400.jpg

Sean, your stuff is always SO awesome. I could totally Jason Todd/Red Hood as a villain on the Nightwing series. Jason Todd would be Robin (off camera) in S1, get killed in S2 and come back to dismantle cats in S3. Blockbuster as a S1 big bad, Deathstroke as the S2 big bad. Jason in S3, and keep it going with some original villain after that. Awesome, awesome stuff.

Thanks, I got the idea while watching a comicbook review on Comicvine. They talked about Jason as being the failed son, the one who just can't make it. While Dick was the best Robin, some might say, he went onto to leading the teen titans and the Outsiders, he successfully broke away as Nightwing, and now he is Batman and on the JLA.
Its like all the good things happen to him, I could totally see Jason showing up in the series at some point.

Sean, your stuff is always SO awesome. I could totally Jason Todd/Red Hood as a villain on the Nightwing series. Jason Todd would be Robin (off camera) in S1, get killed in S2 and come back to dismantle cats in S3. Blockbuster as a S1 big bad, Deathstroke as the S2 big bad. Jason in S3, and keep it going with some original villain after that. Awesome, awesome stuff.
Yeah but i would have Jason die at the end of season one, have Tim appear from season two onwards and have Jason returen in season 4...have some time pass between his death and rebirth.

Nightwing and Blue Devil

296901-42880-blue-devil.jpg

Last edited:
I love the talk of a Nightwing tv series. DC really needs to get on the ball with it because there is so much potential.

How about JSA though? JSA has been one of my favorite DC comics for about four years now, and I think it could translate well into a tv series. The theme of new heroes filling in the shoes of older heroes has loads of potential. THey could use the old guard of GL, Flash(Mercury), Hawkman, and Wildcat to get an old school viewpoint while the younger guys stepping into bigger shoes like Mr. Terrific, Sandman, Doc Mid-nite, Star Girl, Damage, Power Girl, etc. could show how a younger generation deals with following in the footsteps of legends.

JSA would be pretty cool. Have you read the JSA generational stuff in Starman?
Its all about old heroes and young heroes. Stories from the past effecting the present and stuff.
It would be cool to see that, like a 50 something Flash interacting with a young Sandman who used to be the sidekick of Wesley Dodds (who died at the age of 70 something). It would be a cool Generations type series. I like it.

Yeah but i would have Jason die at the end of season one, have Tim appear from season two onwards and have Jason returen in season 4...have some time pass between his death and rebirth.

Well, I guess it would depend on when the show starts in Dick Grayson's life. If it starts with Dick arriving in Bloodhaven (spelling?), then it should have news of Jason Todd reaching Dick somehow. Then at around Season's end or the start of season two he gets word of Jason's death.
Because he isn't there and has no contact with Bruce. So maybe he gets a phone call or emails from Barbara/Oracle.
So around the first few episodes, while Dick is trying to get started as Nightwing, he gets word that Bruce already has a new partner (Jason Todd).
Then how about this,
Season one ends with a giant bomb, Dick gets word about Joker killing Jason. And off camera, during the off season, Dick returns to Gotham for the funeral and to hang out for a short time.
Then season two starts with Dick arriving back in Bloodhaven, back from Gotham.
Then later Jason returns as Red Hood making trouble for Dick.

(as a side note idea, maybe Barbara getting shot by the Joker is the final straw that makes Dick leave Batman and Gotham or something, so hearing that he got another partner and the death could have greater weight on Dick.)

Whatever the reason for him leaving, and whatever the time period is that the show starts at (him JUST starting as Nightwing or maybe a few months in) the stuff about Jason becoming Robin and then dying and the stuff about Tim becoming Robin a few seasons later all happen off camera since Dick has no contact with Bruce (because the show wont be allowed to show Batman).

Last edited:
I think they should take the approach Marvel's going for their movies... but for DC...showcase small mini series during the summer on the WB. Then choose the show that had the highest ratings and premiere it the following Spring season.

JSA would be pretty cool. Have you read the JSA generational stuff in Starman?
Its all about old heroes and young heroes. Stories from the past effecting the present and stuff.
It would be cool to see that, like a 50 something Flash interacting with a young Sandman who used to be the sidekick of Wesley Dodds (who died at the age of 70 something). It would be a cool Generations type series. I like it.

Well, I guess it would depend on when the show starts in Dick Grayson's life. If it starts with Dick arriving in Bloodhaven (spelling?), then it should have news of Jason Todd reaching Dick somehow. Then at around Season's end or the start of season two he gets word of Jason's death.
Because he isn't there and has no contact with Bruce. So maybe he gets a phone call or emails from Barbara/Oracle.
So around the first few episodes, while Dick is trying to get started as Nightwing, he gets word that Bruce already has a new partner (Jason Todd).
Then how about this,
Season one ends with a giant bomb, Dick gets word about Joker killing Jason. And off camera, during the off season, Dick returns to Gotham for the funeral and to hang out for a short time.
Then season two starts with Dick arriving back in Bloodhaven, back from Gotham.
Then later Jason returns as Red Hood making trouble for Dick.

(as a side note idea, maybe Barbara getting shot by the Joker is the final straw that makes Dick leave Batman and Gotham or something, so hearing that he got another partner and the death could have greater weight on Dick.)

Whatever the reason for him leaving, and whatever the time period is that the show starts at (him JUST starting as Nightwing or maybe a few months in) the stuff about Jason becoming Robin and then dying and the stuff about Tim becoming Robin a few seasons later all happen off camera since Dick has no contact with Bruce (because the show wont be allowed to show Batman).
Id have Barbara already in the wheelchair and established as Oracle at the start of the show. Id also have her as a regular and as well as helping Nightwing she would keep him informed with whats going on in Gotham. Also its spelt Bludhaven i think...

I knew I was spelling it wrong. Anyway, what I meant was that all the stuff with Jason being Robin and his death would have to be done off screen because of Batman. So Dick would have to be informed somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"