• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

DC Property into a TV Series

I happened to notice that Superman and Batman seem to be taking turns between media. Specifically, when the Bat film franchise is active, Supes is active on TV. The way it looks now, Superman is heading back to the movies, while the next Batman is supposed to be Nolan's last.

So I was thinking, should Warner somehow decide to put the movie series to rest (at least for the time being) after the third one, what about bringing the Dark Knight back to television? And I don't mean something like "Gotham: The Adventures of Bruce Wayne Before He Became Batman." I mean a new full-on, live-action Batman TV series.

I also thought it might be easier to address Robin/Dick Grayson in a television format than in a film. Basically, the series would begin with how Dick met Bruce. The plot of solving the Flying Graysons' murder could be a season-long arc. And Dick's transformation into Robin would be gradual, either halfway through the season or at the very end of it. Batman would be pretty much reluctant to take on Robin as a partner until Dick earns his trust at the end of the season.

I see what you mean. So maybe the first episode sort of spells it out a little more. That Dick Grayson just left Gotham, that he used to be Robin.
Sure he could even narrate in the opening something like, "You heard of Batman and Robin right? I used to be Robin. Used to be is whats important here." And then maybe go into wanting to start a new life, make it on his own. Maybe even say something about that's why he moved to one of the worst cities in the world, second only to Gotham. But he couldn't stay there. And stuff like that.
I am fairly certain that almost everyone knows about Batman and Robin. And I think, even if it is spelled out a little more than we would want to, most people could pick up on Dick feeling hostile towards batman for some reason and that he wants to make it on his own.
Especially if there are scenes like,
Dick is in serious trouble over something, he is thinking about calling Batman for help. He almost picks up the phone. His hand hovers over it. And then clutches into a fist as he pulls away.
"No, I can do this. I'll show him I can do this."
And I think this feeling Dick has towards Batman is sort of a universal thing, feeling like you have to break away to make it. Feelings of some resentment towards a father figure.

Also, the show could look to Batman the animated series for guidance. That show was built for an audience of younger viewers who may not known who Batman was. And they did a pretty good job of establishing Dick's feelings towards Batman.

I agree with you that the show could rely too much on the audience automatically knowing whats going on, but I think people will get it mostly.

See the part in bold, is where I think you run the risk of making the character very whiny and not establishing him in his own right as an independant character.
Especially if it's the CW, I don't want to see a teary eyes Grayson in the beginning of the series, I don't think people will take him seriously.

Also, as many people that do know about Batman/Robin, I dont think they think beyond the Dynamic Duo aspects of that pair to the psychological resentment, daddy issues, etc that have been represented in the comics.
So again, unless that's slowly explored and brought out over time... I think it's too much to assume the majority of the audience will know about it from the get-go.

And too much explaining in the beginning again runs the risk of the whole thing becoming trite and cliche.

I happened to notice that Superman and Batman seem to be taking turns between media. Specifically, when the Bat film franchise is active, Supes is active on TV. The way it looks now, Superman is heading back to the movies, while the next Batman is supposed to be Nolan's last.

So I was thinking, should Warner somehow decide to put the movie series to rest (at least for the time being) after the third one, what about bringing the Dark Knight back to television? And I don't mean something like "Gotham: The Adventures of Bruce Wayne Before He Became Batman." I mean a new full-on, live-action Batman TV series.

I also thought it might be easier to address Robin/Dick Grayson in a television format than in a film. Basically, the series would begin with how Dick met Bruce. The plot of solving the Flying Graysons' murder could be a season-long arc. And Dick's transformation into Robin would be gradual, either halfway through the season or at the very end of it. Batman would be pretty much reluctant to take on Robin as a partner until Dick earns his trust at the end of the season.
You really want to see Bruce Wayne in his 20ies, with his parents still alive and with the Joker as his best friend?
For my Sandman Mystery Theater idea I was suggesting, it would be more like the Murder Mysteries on KPBS or something. Hour Long murder mysteries where Wesley Dodds and Dian Dodds try to solve the murder. I posted it earlier.

nightwingtvshow-1.png

Not a lot of difference here. Changes would have to be made though, just like how Batman has always had some sort of rubbery armor. (with Dark Knight looking the best so far).
Then there is no point for the jacket.

As for Batman, they are idiots, it doesnt mean that what they are doing is good.
I agree with this, we dont need changes,go all out and have the proper costume. Theres no need to be ashamed of the costumes that the characters wear like the original showrunners of smallville were, otherwise theres no point...
Thanks. Like Green Arrow in Smallville, Dick or whoever it is can wear his comic book suit.

This. Please this.
And Nolan has said that he won't do Robin anyway, so it would be a great device to seperate the show from the movies.

You really want to see Bruce Wayne in his 20ies, with his parents still alive and with the Joker as his best friend?

No, and I don't think I suggested anything of the sort.

The thing is, we haven't had a full-fledged TV series about a major superhero in a long while. The last one was, what, Lois and Clark? (And that one was far from perfect, but still) What we get these days are shows that beat around the bush with their superhero elements, like Superman before he got his suit, or Gotham City after Batman retired and left town. I wish someone would have the balls to come up with an honest-to-goodness superhero TV show, and with a major iconic character to boot.

Also, for those who like their adaptations more faithful to the source, I think there's a better chance of that in a TV series than on film. Let's take Smallville for instance. Although I just ragged on it earlier, I daresay that it did incorporate much more of the Superman mythos than perhaps all 5 motion pictures ever did.

You didnt suggest it, but that's what DC will give you. :cwink:

I can see why they would have to make changes to the costume. When things are in a comic or cartoon its easier to over look things that are unreal because its already established that this isn't real. Its a drawing, or a series of drawings being shown 24 frames a second. The audience already knows its fake, and subconsciously accepts that. That's why you can get away with certain things.
But in a live action TV show or movie, its different. I don't think Nightwing's costume would work, some changes (hopefully very minor) would have to be made.
I don't think it would be possible to get exactly this, or to get it looking good like this in the real world.
nightwingA.jpg

There are real world limitations that would get in the way. Real human anatomy, the material of the costume. I strongly think it would look less intimidating for an actor in the real world to wear a skin tight spandexy looking costume like this unless some changes were made. Changes like maybe his costume is more of a leathery material, not necessarily leather but something thicker. It might cut down on showing every muscle. It would need to be somewhat moveable and breathable for the actor wearing it. So there might need to be a separation from the shirt and the gloves. (I made sleeves because I thought it would be cool to see Dick slip his weapons out from his sleeves, like his batons.) Another thing is the TV budget or the amount of time the costume will be on TV. Its easier to do a costume like his in the movies, but on TV with the smaller budget and the more time we see it on the screen, it becomes harder to make it seem real or intimidating.

nightwingtvshow-1-1.png

The jacket thing was just for fun, this was my real idea here. Not saying is has to be exactly like this, but I don't see how it would be exactly like the comic either and still work.
His batons would slip out of his sleeves. His pants aren't loose thin material, supposed to be the same material as his shirt.
Perhaps they could do the Dark Knight type armor, but put spandex type material over it.
thebatsuit-1.jpg

I am not saying I want a dramatic change, like the X-Men's costume turned into leather uniforms or Steel's costume turned into whatever it was that Shaq had in the Steel movie, or as big a change as Batman got from his comic book costumes to the armored rubbery costumes in the movies (Dark Knight was still best I thought.)
I still think it should be black material with his blue logo and mask and try to keep it as close to the comic as possible. But I know some changes will have to be made and as long as they aren't too drastic I wont be upset. i don't mind it not looking exactly like the comics. The closest we have gotten so far has been Spider-man and that still had some changes.
I am just saying that Nightwing can be done as a show.
his costume can be done, his type of stories can be done, the effects needed can be done. The only major problem I see would be the audience wanting to see Batman, but I think they can get around that too.
Still, my idea for the Sandman Mystery Theater would get around all this. His costume and stories and his world would easily transfer to a hour long TV show.

Its a fairly simple and serious suit, so i dont see the problem. Now, i have no thoughts on the material that they should use, but i'm sure it wont be spandex. But like i said, if Green Arrow can keep his comic book suit and look awesome, why not Dick?

That what i was sort of going for,
Green Arrow's costume has been changed in the comics (I think) to look like the Smallville costume. But it wasn't exactly like that before.
Green_Arrow_1600x1200.jpg
Green-Arrow-Hot3.jpg

green_arrow.jpg
greenarrow.jpg

301-1.jpg
greenarrow-1.jpg

06GreenArrow.jpg

combat34.jpg

Some changes were made, just like some changes could be made to Dick's costume. Not saying major. But changes like what they did with Green Arrow, sort of. Maybe the same material. The way Green Arrow's shirt is separated from his pants maybe. I wouldn't even change as much as the Green Arrow costume did. But some minor changes would need to be made. I wasn't trying to say to change it to a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Still, I think the costume can be done for the TV show and work.

I could see Deadman working as a TV series in a similar vein as a hybrid of "Charmed" and "Dead Like Me" with a bit of "Quantum Leap" too. I didn't realize they were working on a TV series a few years back. I wonder why they gave up on it?

Last edited:
They were making a Deadman series?
I wonder why they stopped. That could be another show that could replace Smallville, sort of. (I just mean CW would probably want a show to replace it and DC would love to put another show out there like that.)

I could see Deadman working like you mentioned.

I could also see the Question too, working as a sort of i Da Vinci Code, Rubicon, (murder, mystery, cover ups, conspiracies, riddles, and puzzles) type show. They seem to be becoming somewhat popular.

I think Nightwing, or some character like that (Deadman, Nightwing, some super heroes) would be a more natural transition from Smallville.
Sandman and Question might be too different in terms of style of storytelling.

I dont understand how a black bodysuit with blue trim wont work in live action....

This is how Id do a Batman series. 5x13eps on HBO then a movie. (Batman 1966 had a film then TAS had Mask of the Phantasm, plus Birds of Prey had visual links to the OnStar/Burtonverse films!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only Batman TV series to go seriously past Dick-as-Robin and Batgirl is The New Batman Adventures with Tim Drake and Nightwing. Nightwing was of course in Brave and the Bold and The Batman briefly, and there was of course Birds of Prey.

DC Animation are doing their movies now and there's Young Justice coming up, that looks like it's based on the present day comic era (which compared to alot of recent DC Animated Series looks frankly phenomenal!!), but not many screen Batman versions have reached A Death in the Family, Knightfall, No Man's Land, HUSH etc - great, compelling, world developing stories which only people who read the comics seem to know, unless you've heard the BBC radio drama or watched the upcoming Under The Red Hood movie.

I'd originally thought of doing Year One, but everyone jumps on that bandwagon now, hoewver there is in fact a brilliant fanfiction series on the KryptonSite boards called GOTHAM, which thrusts the Dark Knight into the Smallville universe. He has only finished 5 scripts but it is more true to what I'd like to see than other ideas.

The way I'd present the series would be more focusing on the Detective than the Fighter. It would deal with Batman being a loner once more, following Dick Grayson walking out and Barbara Gordon being shot - her character arc would be coming out of hospital and adjusting to her new life in a wheelchair. Each episode would present a new mystery, and eventually Jason Todd would be introduced and Barbara Gordon would pick herself up and establish her identity of Oracle. A difference will be in this timeline not every villain has appeared yet, so the opportunity to do origins for various characters would still be open.

Not alot of people like the whole freak-of-the-week thing, but who doesn't want to see Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler etc. Maybe Penguin would be starting up in the Iceberg Lounge, Catwoman would be turning from villain to anti-hero, and Joker would be seeing Harleen Quinzel for the first time.

Stylisicially, I'd go for a BTAS feel, the recent fan film CITY OF SCARS would also provide major inspiration.

Later seasons would feature Dick Grayson returning as Nightwing, The Joker murdering Robin, Tim Drake coming in and possibly Bane breaking the Bat. I'm not sure if No Man's Land would work on screen so I'd go for HUSH or The Long Halloween. Bringing back Jason Todd from the dead and killing off Buce Wayne would perhaps be a step too far.

DC-wise, versions of other superheroes could be worked in, however Batman's world seem to be less 'alien' than others, and bringing in superheroes with extraordinary powers may look out of place.

A TV Series allows you to develop characters and arcs on a weekly basis in the way movies can't. And something like 5 13-episode seasons on HBO run would be ideal. Then of course a motion picture spin-off at the end!

Anyway, that's how I'd like to see a Batman TV series work.

BTW Artistsean, I'd love a GRAYSON after Batman show also!!

Okay, here's something I've been trying to work out. If there were, say, a Batman live-action series, or indeed any full-on super-hero series shown in prime time, complete with costumed heroes and villains and everything, it would need to be a pretty high-budget series. But a show like that would also surely have merchandise. Action figures, etc. It would be advantageous for the network to know that this expensive show has a revenue stream to supplement the advertising. But shows that move action figures are usually Saturday morning cartoons and the like. Kids fare. So I'm trying to figure out: what live-action prime-time shows have moved a lot of merchandise in the past? The only one I could think of was the Star Trek shows, and IIRC, the revenue from action figures and starship playsets was never all that high.

The Human Target works. DC could use their action/military/detective based properties and not completely break the bank on sfx. But then you can do a lot with a little and make it look good, like Stargate.

I'd prefer to see a show truer to the comics...something very stylized.

Okay, here's something I've been trying to work out. If there were, say, a Batman live-action series, or indeed any full-on super-hero series shown in prime time, complete with costumed heroes and villains and everything, it would need to be a pretty high-budget series. But a show like that would also surely have merchandise. Action figures, etc. It would be advantageous for the network to know that this expensive show has a revenue stream to supplement the advertising. But shows that move action figures are usually Saturday morning cartoons and the like. Kids fare. So I'm trying to figure out: what live-action prime-time shows have moved a lot of merchandise in the past? The only one I could think of was the Star Trek shows, and IIRC, the revenue from action figures and starship playsets was never all that high.

No prime time show has ever moved a lot of merchandise. Kids buy merchandise, so unless it's a family show (on earlier, more cartoony), it's not going to move toys, or backpacks, or coloring books, or... well, you name it. For non-fanboy adults, TV is *just* TV, not TV and forums, not TV and toys. Just TV.

====

Since Wonder Woman may actually be happening, and Aquaman has already proven futile (I'd try it again anyway), why not fill out the big 7 with Martian Manhunter? A Detective show with a shapeshifting alien could prove interesting, especially if you weave in some of DCU's universe fabric, white martians, the DEO, Solomon Grundy, etc.

You know what I could have some fun with? Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Take the whole current angle, with Carter remembering the past, and Kendra not. Kendra as a pilot, Carter as... a man with too many memories, couriers, archaeologists, explorers, relief workers. Heroes.

I could also go for some Supergirl or Zatanna as far as intelligent teen drama goes, of course, that'd mean mostly made-up villains of the week, but what the hey. I honestly, more than those, could really go for Teen Titans, and by that I mean, the originals, though I may skip over Garth and go for the new Jackson/Carl version. Grayson Robin, Donna Wonder Girl, Wally Flash and Speedy, the originals, more or less. Of course, you could just jump straight to Gen13 and call it a day.

Last edited:
No prime time show has ever moved a lot of merchandise. Kids buy merchandise, so unless it's a family show (on earlier, more cartoony), it's not going to move toys, or backpacks, or coloring books, or... well, you name it. For non-fanboy adults, TV is *just* TV, not TV and forums, not TV and toys. Just TV.
Bummer. Thanks for answering that; I had a feeling that was the case.

Man, I hate being a bummer. Anyway, I did a little outline of the Wonder Woman Pilot, as I would do it. I conveniently titled each subsection with a C word.

Wonder Woman Pilot Outline, the GL1 version

Pitch: Wonder Woman is the story of Diana, a fish out of water, girl next door type thrust into a world she does not understand and faced with an immense responsibility. Armed with incredible strength, ancient knowledge and a growing love for all living things, Diana enters man's world for the first time, in hopes of saving man's world and her world from the violent destruction that Ares, God of War, brings.

wonderwomanfixed-thumb-550x825-4211.jpg
JLA_Series___Member_ID_003_by_Cyber.jpg

Because you guys like pictures.

• Act I: Themyscira, ~14 min
    • Crash: Darnell speaks from HQ, Trevor and Partner dogfight against some confused Israeli squadron, Partner goes down, Trevor sees glimpses of the Island (2 minutes, 30 seconds)
    • Credits: Haunting Intro into Upbeat chorus with latin choir. Main Cast is: Diana, Trevor, Hippolyta, Julia K, Phil D, Etta Candy, and Angelo/Angle Man, each shown against a thematic background with character and actor name. (45 seconds)
    • Controversy: Amazons introduced in heated debate over Trevor's intentions and fate, important ones chime in, their arguments expositing their history, Phillipa (cautious), Artemis (warlike), Magdala (wise), it comes down to passionate mother, Hippolyta vs passionate Daughter, Diana, who gives fallacy accusations as her mother attempts to educate her on man's world, then Diana issues a Hiketa challenge to decide the man's fate, helmets with masks are given out. (3 min)
    • Contest: Phillipa gives commentary/exposition to Trevor during event, starts with violent foot race, Diana gets cut and wraps her arm so we can identify her by her red sash (Kane Miloha easter egg). Once they reach the arena she battles Artemis, and deflects Artemis' arrows, unmasking her final rival with a backflip kick, to crowd shock, then taking the victor's crown from her mother, who first tests her deflection skills by suddenly taking Trevor's sidearm and shooting it at Diana, the Diana unmasks and accepts the Tiara. (5 min)
    • Commission: Diana, Hipployta and Trevor enter the temple, and meet Aphrodite, naked, sultry, whispers in Diana's ear that Trevor loves her but doesn't know it yet. Aphrodite then gives her her godly physicality and pulls the lasso from Hippolyta's girdle, and with a kiss on the forehead, transforms her into her amazon costume, and commissions her to stop Ares, and enlighten mankind. Lets her jump into the mystical whirlpool with Trevor. (3 min)
  • Act II: First of Man's World, ~14 min
    • Confusion: Diana wakes up confused on a beach, near a party, separated from Steve, Etta sees her, and when some guys accost her with wolf whistles and grabbiness, before she strikes, Etta rescues Diana, takes her to her Sorority House, Diana has a skewed view of fashion, growing up scantily clad, and seeing scantily clad beach goers and shirtless males on campus. Etta tells soror Vanessa she's going to raid her closet, Vanessa protests until she sees Diana, trades barbs with Etta ("You can't fit my clothes, you fat freak." "You can't either, skinny girl... maybe that's why they keep falling off..." "Of course, you'd call me skinny, you're three times my size!" "Vanessa, you can slide under a closed door. You need help.") Diana then tries on the trashiest clothes, not seeing any problem with the exposure, Etta tries to brief her on men and their lust, Diana doesn't understand, 'that hardly seems fair' but she settles on an out fit much like Strazinski's reboot. (6 min)
    • Creatures: As Diana gets a dose of the real world, they are stalked by a Siren in the quad on campus, the Siren wipes out all the nearby guys, wrestles with Diana, screeches, causes guys to attack her. Etta saves Diana by hitting the Siren with a car. The whole thing attracts police, and eventually military intelligence. (1 min 30 sec)
    • Conflict: Taken by Air Force, Darnell and Trevor discuss her while she's questioned by a normal in the interrogation room, then by a slightly antagonistic General Darnell, he says Themyscira is a threat, and puts Wonder Woman in a classified brig. (4 min)
    • Compassion: Diana has mercy on the Siren when placed alongside her. Spares it's life, attends to her wounds, Ares himself tests her here. (2 min)
  • Act III: The Battle at Sea, ~15 min
    • Conspiracy: Trevor goes to report additional intel to Darnell, of what he heard on the Paradise island, and overhears Ares in Darnell's office, planning to attack Themyscira. (2 min)
    • CoOperation: Trevor rescues Diana, gives her her weapons, informs her, they get to the experimental invisible jet, with help from the college girls, and have a romantic moment, which Diana intentionally delays in favor of the impending action. (4 min)
    • Combat: Dogfight above the empty sea, jet is destroyed as Steve and Diana jettison, Diana transforms midair and lands on deck as Wonder Woman. Diana calls on Ares as guns surround her, Darnell tells them to stand down, but Diana lassos Darnell, and demands to know where Ares is. 'Right in Front of you' he says as he transforms and uppercuts her about fifty feet. The tall muscular armored warrior hides in the shadow of his mask, his voice echoes with Darnell's and others. Lots of Knockback, sling into large object, type of battle as they get tangled up in the lasso. Ares admits his desire for the love and fealty of Diana, her mother and the Amazons, and his sister, Aphrodite, as Diana questions him while getting battered about. It ends with the lasso around his neck and him on one knee and a battered Diana standing as Ares admits his mission of war without end is self-defeating. (6 min)
    • Celebration: Themysciran welcome for Trevor, greek style party, lots of food, Wonder Woman receives a commission to man's world from Aphrodite. Hippolyta accuses Aphrodite of bringing Trevor here in order to have someone stop Ares, which only gains smiles from the Goddess. (2 min)
    • Cliffhanger: Ares equips a con man/thief with an ancient weapon, forged from Cronus' Sickle, can see anything, any time in it's reflection, bend things that shouldn't be bendable, and can be thrown as a magically returning boomerang. He uses it to see Wonder Woman, and take out the guards who try to take him in. We meet our angle man. (1 min)

Let the critiques flow!

1268998598655.png

Emotional spectrum sitcom. Obviously there will be no monsters or superpowers, just people who resemble the characters.

Atrocitus and Larfleeze share an appartment. They have a friend called Hal who lives nearby. Sinestro is the evil landlord. All of a sudden some cool dude and his two hot roommates move in next door. Dude's called St.Walker and the girls are Carol and Indigo 1. He's very chill, and always spouts quotes about peace, hope, etc so his hippy charm probably worked on the hotties.
Atrocitus and Larfleeze hatch plans to hit on the girls and try to avoid getting cockblocked by St.Walker.

Hilarity ensues.

Last edited:
Arkham Asylum - an anthology series focusing on Batman's Rogues Gallery.........each episode starts with one of the rogues talking with a psychiatrist...or the baddies talking amongst themselves...then shifts to the story of how the villain was brought to Arkham (crimes, which member of the Bat family brought him/her in)...you could rotate between the Big Batman villains and some of the more D-List Bat Baddies...

A more comic accurate Birds of Prey? or a live action "Gotham Girls"

Yes.

A Batman series would be perfect. Start with "Year One" and go from there. Maybe "The Man who Laughs" also. I'd wait until the end of the first season to introduce the Joker though. Take the last scene from "Year One" with Gordon mentioning the Joker as the "end of the season cliff hanger."

The do stories from"Night Cries," "Batman and the Monster Men," "Batman and the Mad Monk," "Long Halloween" and "Dark Victory" with heavy borrowing from "Gotham Central" for characters and stories from the point of view of "regular" people.

A well done series where we get to see the characters evolve over a whole season would be great, better than the movies. We'd really get to see why Wayne has to be Batman and not just a cop or something. We'd really get to see why Gordon trusts a masked vigilante more than the GPD. We'd see how Wayne learns to become the greatest crimefighter the world has ever known. We'd get to see Harvey Dent turn into Two-Face and feel the pain of that transition after seasons of seeing him as a good guy and a close allie of Batman and Gordon. As good as the movies are, the can't match what a television show could do because a television show has a lot more time to show things that have to be implied in movies.

There could still be movies too. For instance the Ra's Al Guhl stories would make great summer block buster movies that could be set in the same continuity, but not be completely necessary to enjoy the show.

Source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"