DC Universe - Justice Society: World War II

Spine shows another hero that'll be in the film
EtZcvi9VkAEtj7s

I was iffy about that first group shot they released, but these close-ups? Hnnngh...

I am so sold on this movie it isnt even funny. That was an awesome clip.

I would love it if DC made this a thing, like, these retro 1940's/1950's versions of the characters in animated movies like New Frontier.

Is this going to be in the same continuity as Man of Tomorrow?

Is this going to be in the same continuity as Man of Tomorrow?

They just confirmed it in the movie itself that it is indeed connected.

I assume Batman Long Halloween will be too.

Can't wait for this animated universe version of JL!

Finally got around watching the trailer and clips...eh.
I like the art style, but everything else is not really good imo.
Im not feeling it, cant really put my finger on it.

Slightly off topic: What is Steve Trevors character?
I mean in general.

One time the character is goofy, then serious, then this...what exactly is the character outside of Dianas love interest and a soldier?

I thought the movie was decent, Diana was sadly the weakest characterization wise of the Society. Hawkman, Canary, Barry, Steve all got good storylines in the film.

Diana spent a lot of time being fairly cold and serious.

Fight scenes were good, the reveal was also good, made things easier to accept.

Still wish that they would put a pinch more money into this animation because a lot of times it comes off as stiff.

Slightly off topic: What is Steve Trevors character?
I mean in general.

One time the character is goofy, then serious, then this...what exactly is the character outside of Dianas love interest and a soldier?

You pretty much answered your own question lol. Steve tends to be treated like a nobody in comics so he never got on the same level as Lois who became her own character and was able to develop a consistent personality.

Just checked this out, and it was pretty good but I just wish the animation had a little more fluidity and movement. Overall, it was a fun time.

I liked it well enough, but it suffers from the same problem as the Superman movie. It tries to cram too much into a sub-90-minute runtime.

I liked it, but I pretty much concur with alot of the critiques and criticisms.

It left several questions, which makes me wonder, if this is supposed to set up future films down the line, or whether this is a one off. I haven't followed the ins and outs of all these films, so I don't know .

I give it a midrange- B grade.

It could have been an A level film, but it losses its way in the middle, and loses steam from there ,story-wise Imo.

Damn man, I was REALLY looking forward to this one. It looked like it was gonna be upper tier DC DTV material but you guys seem to be pretty ‘meh’ about it.

Damn man, I was REALLY looking forward to this one. It looked like it was gonna be upper tier DC DTV material but you guys seem to be pretty ‘meh’ about it.

They did a great job with Canary, Hawkman, and Steve at least. But I think the days of top tier DCTV material is over for the time being. I still prefer it over most of the New52 films though

I definitely don't regret watching this even if a part of me does wish it was a bit more memorable considering the potenital of the premise and all the right ingrediants that it did have.

I enjoyed enough though, especially the relationship between Hawkman and Canary which was honestly the heart of this movie and I really liked the payoff we got from that storyline.

Diana didn't get a whole lot of shine like I expected, but she looked great in all the action sequences and this is probably the most I've ever enjoyed the Steve Trevor character.

Lot of positives with this one—especially the JSA, which is great considering they’re the film’s namesake. I always felt like there were stakes in the story and, like Superman Man of Tomorrow, I quickly acclimated to the animation style & found myself enjoying the fight sequences & their creativity (especially the two Flashes and Wonder Woman).

As others have said, Hawkman and Black Canary really shined. I liked where they were headed with Wonder Woman’s character, but I do feel that she was ultimately underserved.

I’ll put the rest of my thoughts in SPOILER tags! But overall, I’m very much pleased with this, and looking forward to Long Halloween.

Loved the return of Darren Criss’s Superman. I was hoping for a cameo, but we got that and more. His Superman continues to shine—loved his interactions with Flash.
  • And Brainiac! I didn’t particularly like the design, but that’s fine, he was still cool to see.
But I thought the movie really shone when it leaned into that mystical / Nazi combination, so them storming a heavily-guarded castle was right on brand & I was loving all those beats.

Doctor Fate’s rescue & sequence was cool, but I guess I’m a little unclear on what he was directing them to? And how/why he guided Flash to this WWII universe? And who was the young boy prisoner who gave ‘Shakespeare’ the Superman costume? I thought Fate was going to play a bigger part & tie things together in Act 3 but instead he leaves.

The multiverse reveal was cool—I dug all of that, and I was genuinely surprised. I admittedly didn’t recognize Darren Criss voicing ‘Shakespeare’ so it was an interesting twist. Also, I guess Barry knows Superman’s secret identity now. And he quizzes him on his parents when he’s trying to establish if he’s in the past or a different universe, so I suppose Jor-El and Lara are public knowledge? I forget if that’s part of Superman’s announcement that he’s alien in Man of Tomorrow. It would have to be, right? Barry wouldn’t know about the Kent’s, even though that’s how this Clark Kent responds.
  • It’s a cool story beat that the loss of the Kents takes Clark Kent off the hero path—he only learns to look out for himself. Great inclusion there.
What I didn’t particularly enjoy was the inclusion of Atlantis as the surprise-brainwashed villains in Act III. It seemed very out of place. Even from the very first scene, when Trevor is briefing FDR (very cool, by the way), the movie seems to be hinting at the Spear of Destiny or an Ark of the Covenant-type MacGuffin and then it just pivots to Aquaman instead.

I think this movie desperately needed a Vandal Savage or other character working with the Nazis and pulling the strings. And a finale with super-powered Nazis instead of sea creatures and Atlantean soldiers, which felt very Justice League: Throne of Atlantis.

Also, I thought “The Advisor” was Orm, but apparently he’s Psycho Pirate? Interesting if the Wikipedia page is correct, but I didn’t pick up on that to be honest. Was there something I missed? Maybe I needed the classic mask to connect the dots...

Superman’s ‘Captain Marvel’ moment when he destroys all the bombers was cool, but I wish that was the main adversary (with a Spear of Destiny-wielding Vandal Savage & maybe some monsters that that comes with), and I wish his costume was a bit more Fleischer-inspired in design—the latter obviously just a minor nitpick.

I was also expecting some redemption for Wonder Woman, who was very militant in this film—some moment of love or compassion—but it ultimately didn’t come until Steve Trevor’s death (which couldn’t have been more telegraphed the entire movie, to be honest).
  • I thought a proposal and maybe even a marriage between those two during the actual finale (like Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan in the third Pirates of the Caribbean) would have been more satisfying. And Diana could still have that moment with Barry afterwards where she instructs him to be happy with Iris.
  • And I wanted some resolution about what happened to Paradise Island—I suppose we can infer that there was some great tragedy, but hearing from Diana about how that’s affecting her ability to love again (maybe that’s why she doesn’t commit to Steve?) or just something would have helped flesh out her character arc.
Was really hoping to see a glimpse of our universe’s Wonder Woman once Flash returns and they hint at the Justice League—just some establishing shot of her existence in the modern day. But again, that’s just a nitpick/wish.

Last edited:
Very confusing and very meh. I really don't like the animation style. The Nazis were just..there. All this just to get Flash to suggest to Superman of forming the JL seemed rather too elaborate.

I'm with you guys, this was very...okay-sih? Like it wasn't bad at all but I kinda felt like what was the point of telling this story? I would've preferred --and I thought this is what it was originally-- a straight up else-worlds WW2 period piece about the JSA. I really wish it wasn't bookmarked with the Flash and Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"