Deadpool Deadpool's new continuity

Considering Cudmore was asked to reprise his role of Colossus, I'd assume the timeline of the movie is going to be DoFP changed future; aka Wolverine: Origins erased, including Barakapool.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/1...ool-corrects-mistakes-x-men-origins-wolverine

“Deadpool appearing in Origins is not the Deadpool we are representing in this film, in any way shape or form,” Reynolds told EW’s Jess Cagle and Jessica Shaw Saturday on EW Live on SiriusXM.

Carefully choosing his words so as to not offend famed-clawed star Hugh Jackman (“[He’s] a very powerful man – he orders airstrikes from his iPhone”), Reynolds explained that “we didn’t quite get Deadpool right, so this is kind of an opportunity to get the most authentic version possible on the screen.”

http://screenrant.com/ryan-reynolds-deadpool-green-lantern-2-benm-156821/
“[Deadpool] will actually have no connection to the one that was in Wolverine.”

Even if DOFP was never released Deadpool would still not be connected to Origins. They have been saying the same thing for half a decade now.

Last edited:
Wade Wilson is not a mutant in this. Nor should he be and that's that. What is it with this obsession?

Please, explain to me what in the Marvel universe is not a mutant? Everything is a mutant! Spider-Man is a mutant, Hulk is a mutant, Deadpool sure as hell is a mutant! A mutant is something that occurs as a result of a DNA mutation. It does not have to happen before birth. UV rays can mutate our skin and give us cancer. Mutates is just Marvel's half assed reason for why the public loves the Fantastic Four.

In the original timeline, Wade Wilson was part of Team X... 1973-1975.
His mutant abilities are "invisible": super reflexes, super agility.
In 1981 he was converted into "Weapon XI". AKA "The Dead Pool".

Anyway, in 1973 Wolverine changed everything.

I know the timeline!

Just don't worry about his age or when he takes place. He's a mutant anomaly. He will break the fourth wall and reference the failure of Deadpool that was in that film. I'm assuming that based on the original leaked script.

Please, explain to me what in the Marvel universe is not a mutant? Everything is a mutant! Spider-Man is a mutant, Hulk is a mutant, Deadpool sure as hell is a mutant! A mutant is something that occurs as a result of a DNA mutation. It does not have to happen before birth. UV rays can mutate our skin and give us cancer. Mutates is just Marvel's half assed reason for why the public loves the Fantastic Four.

We are talking Marvel, so they have to be born with it already in their DNA. Those born with the X-Gene within the Marvel universe are what we refer to as the true mutants there. Not mutates. This is pretty much X-Men 101. http://marvel.com/universe/Mutants

Mutants — also known as "homo superior" — are an offshoot sub-species of humanity who are born with genetic abnormalities which grants them abilities, an appearance, or powers beyond the normal variation expressed in the human genome. While their appearance, abilities, and attitude towards their evolutionary cohorts varies widely, all Mutants possess the so-called "X-Gene" which expresses itself around puberty and causes the individual mutant's powers to emerge. Mutants have been been the victims of considerable persecution throughout their history on earth.

Deadpool was not born with the gene, so therefor not a mutant. There's nothing more to debate. He's not a mutant in the comics, and in this film it's pretty obvious he gets his powers through experimentation.

There's a reason every single superpowered character isn't lumped into Marvels mutant category, even if others were created through some sort of mutation process. It would completely change what the X-Men stand for. That word means a very specific group in the Marvel Universe as a whole. So much so that Marvel can't even use the word in their own films.

Could this film have made him a mutant by the Marvel/X-Men standard using some license? Sure. But he would have to be one much like Logan was pre workshop or Weapon X. Unless they made some major changes in the script and are leading us on in the trailer they are not doing that here. Part of the lure of how Wade ends up in the workshop/weapon x in the comics and in this film is basically telling him they will cure his cancer... and make him a superhero.

Last edited:
Reynolds meant something else.

It's the same Wade Wilson you see at the beiginning of Origins. The same guy. 100%. Agility and reflexes. Mutant.

Since Wolverine altered the timeline, Wade will never become Baraka-Pool. He will become DEADPOOL.

As simple as that.

Agility and reflexes ----- he displays that in the Deadpool trailer too. Those are his original invisible mutant powers.

:facepalm:

He said no connection. Meaning there is no link between the two.

Wade Wilson in this film does not appear to randomly have super jumping powers that he was born with. In the trailer and script he gets his abilities through the workshop.

Last edited:

Wade Wilson in this film does not appear to randomly have super jumping powers that he was born with. In the trailer and script he gets his abilities through the workshop.

Great to see someone with common sense here. :jd:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2270275/x-men-deadpool-gambit-crossover-simon-kinberg/

"The idea is that we’ve sort of reset the timeline after ’Days of Future Past’ in some ways, and if not erased, certainly allowed for change from ’X1,’ ’2,’ ’3,’ everything from ’Days of Future Past’ forward, 1973, everything we set now becomes canon,” he said. “So the ’Gambit’ movie, the ’Deadpool’ movie, will exist in a world that acknowledges whatever happened in ’Days of Future Past’ and moving forward. Doesn’t mean they’ll always interact with those characters, obviously, it’s not like every movie has all the characters, but they all have to exist within the same rules.”​

“I don’t have it up on a wall, but I have it on my computer, and I have it sort of tattooed on my brain now too,” Kinberg said. “Nothing external, so that if I get knocked over the head, no one can read it. It’s literally behind my eyelids. But yeah, we have a clear sense of the directions we want to take them in and in my my mind at least, how we could start to cross-pollinate sort of with those characters that have their standalone movies.”​

Right!

Reynolds meant something else.
It's the same Wade Wilson you see at the beiginning of Origins. The same guy. 100%. Agility and reflexes. Mutant.

Since Wolverine altered the timeline, Wade will never become Baraka-Pool. He will become DEADPOOL.

Agility and reflexes ----- he displays that in the Deadpool trailer too. Those are his original invisible mutant powers.

Wrong

Wade in Orirgins is mutant with superhuman abilities. Like DeathStrike in X2 and juggernaut in X3. They are all born mutants.

Wade in Deadpool 2016 possesses super-human abilities thank to experimentation. Like in comics, he is human mutate like Juggernaut comics.

This is not the deadpool from Origins like Jubilee in Apocalypse in not Jubilee in OT and Emma in FC isnt Emma in Origins.

XO:W is pretty much completely ignored by everyone making movies set in this universe, plus it already presented many glaring continuity errors. I think it might be best to assume that this movie is not (completely) canon in either the original or revised timeline. You can pick and choose scenes and events you like that could have happened with the other movies, but as a whole this movie never really happens it appears.

We are talking Marvel, so they have to be born with it already in their DNA. Those born with the X-Gene within the Marvel universe are what we refer to as the true mutants there. Not mutates. This is pretty much X-Men 101. http://marvel.com/universe/Mutants

Deadpool was not born with the gene, so therefor not a mutant. There's nothing more to debate. He's not a mutant in the comics, and in this film it's pretty obvious he gets his powers through experimentation.

There's a reason every single superpowered character isn't lumped into Marvels mutant category, even if others were created through some sort of mutation process. It would completely change what the X-Men stand for. That word means a very specific group in the Marvel Universe as a whole. So much so that Marvel can't even use the word in their own films.

Could this film have made him a mutant by the Marvel/X-Men standard using some license? Sure. But he would have to be one much like Logan was pre workshop or Weapon X. Unless they made some major changes in the script and are leading us on in the trailer they are not doing that here. Part of the lure of how Wade ends up in the workshop/weapon x in the comics and in this film is basically telling him they will cure his cancer... and make him a superhero.

I'm well aware what the Marvel Comic definition for Mutant is. Do you know what the real life definition of mutant is? Resulting from or showing the effect of mutation. Real life definition of mutation? Changing the structure of your genetic identity. Usually fatal, sometimes not.

Spider-Man, Hulk, Ghost Rider, Captain America whatever... their DNA is different than it should have been. They mutated. In every sense of the word every hero in Marvel Comics is a mutant. It would make sense to just have every hero who has powers be vilified. The only distinction between mutates and mutants is Stan Lee needed an excuse for the public to love the Fantastic Four but hate the X-Men.

Telling other people "Wade is a mutant" like it's canon gives them the wrong idea when he is not one in the books and almost certainly not one in this film. They are not wondering if he is a mutant in the traditional sense outside of the Marvel world. No need to confuse people. People already have enough problems trying to make sense of continuity.

Last edited:
Telling other people "Wade is a mutant" like it's canon gives them the wrong idea when he is not one in the books and almost certainly not one in this film. They are not wondering if he is a mutant in the traditional sense outside of the Marvel world. No need to confuse people. People already have enough problems trying to make sense of continuity.

People have no issue with continuity. Fanboys do. Look at Fury Road. All Marvel heroes with powers are mutants! Making them "mutates" is just a stupid-ass explanation for why the public doesn't fear Captain America. That's all I'm saying.

All Marvel heroes with powers are mutants! .

Its not true. as you said, there are mutants and human mutates (Juggeranut, Spidey, DD, F4...).

This movie is a part of same universe than previous x-men movies. But they reboot the character, like they rebooted Emma Frost.

Same Deadpool. Different timeline.

X-Men: Days of Future Past was pretty much an excuse to reboot the entire universe, and not having to worry about continuity issues anymore (which they didn't really worry about, anyway).

Deadpool's new continuity starts once the 20th Century Fox logo starts rolling February 12th. It's as easy as that. And no, Wade Wilson is not a mutant (in the Marvel sense). Just a regular guy who gets cancer and is then turned into this wonderful superpowered mess called Deadpool.

That's pretty much it.

Last edited:
Considering Cudmore was asked to reprise his role of Colossus, I'd assume the timeline of the movie is going to be DoFP changed future; aka Wolverine: Origins erased, including Barakapool.

This is the thought I've been going with. Timeline shift since DoFP makes these big changes easier to accept. This also allows me to put very little thought or care into timeline accuracy. Fox doesn't seem to care with all the inconsistencies the entire Xmen universe has had, pre DoFP......

And as for Deadpool being a mutant, he's not a mutant in the Marvel comics X-Verse, so why would he be a mutant in the movie?

Last edited:
Pre DoFP? Today's Apocalypse interviews imply we're not done with those inconsistencies. There are good individual X-Men films, but as a cohesive franchise it's a mess.

Pre DoFP? Today's Apocalypse interviews imply we're not done with those inconsistencies. There are good individual X-Men films, but as a cohesive franchise it's a mess.

Why? Is there anything that's going to be inconsistent between Days of Future Past, Apocalypse and Deadpool? Because these are pretty much the only flicks that matter now. They'll take a few riffs from the previous ones, but don't have to.

There very well might be. Singer's interviews implied the ending of DoFP isn't set in stone. There's also word going around (Devin Faraci's Twitter, for example) that the X-Men stuff isn't particularly being planned so much as they're just making individual films and calling it a franchise. The inconsistencies are probably not done happening. Technically Deadpool already contradicts it, as Origins stuff prior to '73 technically had to happen still. Realistically, that would include Wade Wilson's birth. Deadpool is ignoring that.

There very well might be. Singer's interviews implied the ending of DoFP isn't set in stone. There's also word going around (Devin Faraci's Twitter, for example) that the X-Men stuff isn't particularly being planned so much as they're just making individual films and calling it a franchise. The inconsistencies are probably not done happening. Technically Deadpool already contradicts it, as Origins stuff prior to '73 technically had to happen still. Realistically, that would include Wade Wilson's birth. Deadpool is ignoring that.

Thank God. But let's just see how they'll work from now on. I mean, Deadpool is the first movie set in present. And honestly, I'm fine with the studio having a more individualistic outlook for these movies. As long as - just to make an example - Colossus doesn't bite the dust here and pops up in the next present-day movie it's all fine...

See, that's the thing. Singer's saying that ending in DoFP doesn't mean they can't change things and kill one of those characters off anyway.

See, that's the thing. Singer's saying that ending in DoFP doesn't mean they can't change things and kill one of those characters off anyway.

I'm not much of a nitpicker when it comes to continuity. I'm really bad at caring about it too much, as there are other elements to a movie that matter much more to me (otherwise I'd get a headache each time I watched the Evil Dead trilogy).

I really saw that scene as "in the new present day, thanks to the time-travel, things have changed, and hey, Cyclops and our other friends are back, too." Just an indication that the timelime had been altered.

What I meant was that, taking that same example, Colossus dies in this movie, he probably won't pop up in Gambit, or future movies such as New Mutants or whatever.

Deadpool pretty much is a reboot anyway. And has always been conceived as such. Even before Days of Future Past was even in development. I think they'll let directors and writers do their own thing, as long as the movies don't contradict each other.

Just move away from what they've done in past films. What they've been saying for for two years now is that Days of Future Past marks a new starting point, and allows the writers and directors to move more freely, without having to worry too much about what has happened in the previous movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"