Dear Evan Hansen

Yeah, it won a bunch of awards (Most of which should have gone to Come From Away, but I digress) and is still running on Broadway. Personally, I've always loved the music, but have never seen it. Which is why I was so mad to hear they cut some of my favorite songs from the movie.

With Platt's age, obviously Hollywood has been casting 20-somethings and older as high schoolers for ages. But in this case, age is really just a number. It all depends on how old you LOOK. And Platt looks older than his age, making him look WAY older than the rest of the cast playing his classmates. Compare that to his boyfriend and fellow Broadway Evan, Noah Galvin:

tumblr_o4rjvetFbO1utpfiro1_500.gif

Galvin is only about a year and a half younger than Platt, but he can still pass as a teen (or, at least, Hollywood's version of one). The problem isn't how many trips Platt's taken around the sun, it's that he sticks out like a sore thumb next to his co-stars. Which makes the whole thing feel like a massive vanity project for him (even more so when you hear the producers and directors talk about the changes they made for the adaptation).
Go on...

This movie was pretty bad. I’m sure the show is great…and I think the message is important, but this movie just didn’t hit me the way it was supposed to. Best parts of the movie were Amy Adams, Julianne Moore, and Ben Platt’s singing.

I'll have to try and find the link to the article I was reading the other day, but it was a review discussing how the changes alter the message and story. They included a set of quotes from the directors about how they cut the opening number - 'Anybody Have A Map' - because they wanted to center the attention on Evan and introduce everyone through his perspective instead of, you know, them being autonomous characters.

Another example (I haven't seen the movie yet, so just going off of descriptions I've read) is cutting 'Good For You' - It's a huge declaration of agency from Evan's mom that calls out his selfishness and puts him in his place. In the movie, they fight and she just... leaves, apparently, letting Evan have the last word.

I'll have to try and find the link to the article I was reading the other day, but it was a review discussing how the changes alter the message and story. They included a set of quotes from the directors about how they cut the opening number - 'Anybody Have A Map' - because they wanted to center the attention on Evan and introduce everyone through his perspective instead of, you know, them being autonomous characters.

Another example (I haven't seen the movie yet, so just going off of descriptions I've read) is cutting 'Good For You' - It's a huge declaration of agency from Evan's mom that calls out his selfishness and puts him in his place. In the movie, they fight and she just... leaves, apparently, letting Evan have the last word.
Good lord. :funny:

Probably because Julianne Moore isn't a good singer.

Tori is so underrated and is definitely the best vocalist of this generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"