Deftones Appreciation Thread - Because they deserve it , damnit

Why does every single cover of Back To School sound so off to me ?

Like, I've seen plenty of decent covers of other Deftones songs, but this is like the one song where it only sounds right with Deftones.

[YT]KSy7NINB4ps[/YT]

I did not like Gore that much sadly but I'm super hyped for this still because Deftones are one of my favorite metal-bands. Diamond Eyes is my favorite and Koi No Yokan would make my top3 (just behind White Pony) so I still have high hopes.

The boys just released an absolute masterpiece with Ohms.

Top to bottom, a masterpiece.

Chino's singing of "JEEEEEzus, CUH RIIIIIST" on Pompeji describes my feelings when hearing it pretty well lol.

Just each track is mind blowing, earth shattering, you hear one track and think it'll be your favorite and then BOOM, you're hit with another absolute banger.

So yeah, I think this warrants a bump for some hot dang appreciation for this absolutely amazing band .

Deftones-Ohms.jpg

I'm not one of the Gore haters, I thought that album was decent for what it was and still enjoyed the majority of the tracks with a few standouts. That said, I always knew it was a bit of a departure and not among their best.

Ohms, however, feels like a real return to form. They are firing on all cylinders, every member is contributing, it sounds unmistakably like Deftones with more than a few curveballs thrown (which in and of itself is very Tones). Each song kept me interested in where it was going, and the album was a really well sequenced beginning to end listening experience. The album has no skips, although for me it might be lacking that one standout "epic" track. But each song has its own interesting journey and you still feel fulfilled when it's over. The Spell of Mathematics is probably my current favorite. It kind of feels like the You've Seen the Butcher of this album for me with those super low sludgy riffs in a laid-back, sexy groove.

Also, Terry Date's production has to be mentioned. I thought the production might have been the real star of this album. It's so balanced! I hear elements of White Pony, SNW, Diamond Eyes and KNY here, mixed with something new. This album sounds like the product of a very experienced band and a very experienced producer who know what the f*** they're doing.

Really impressive that a band can remain so consistent and still sound this inspired on their 9th album. What a breath a fresh air it is to get this in 2020.

Only first listen of Ohms but it definitely feels like a strong return to form after Gore. With that said I don't even necessarily think Gore is that bad, it's just the least good Deftones album to me.

Only first listen of Ohms but it definitely feels like a strong return to form after Gore. With that said I don't even necessarily think Gore is that bad, it's just the least good Deftones album to me.
Understandable . Looking back on it, I can see why people were disappointed in Gore... Especially compared to this new release lol. Terry Date should just be an official member of the band at this point .

Btw, forgot to mention, but yesterday marked the 25th anniversary of the release of Adrenaline :hrt:

Adrenaline_Deftones.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"