Depression and how you deal with it

Keep it up man, good luck. You'll make it.

What part of Eire are you from?

Thanks.

I've always been on Lexapro since 2004 and it's helped. He gave me another one which I'm not taking because I've been told it doesn't make you feel good.

I'm on 25mg.

How do you find your dosage?

Thanks for your advice everyone.

I went for a walk and a drive today. I find it very hard to concentrate of things because I have titinuis and eye floaters. They never bothered me, but now they are, there driving me insane. I found the walk helped, but I feel guilt, hopeless and even when I'm doing things to help. I know depression won't go within a few days, but my anxiety is freaking me out.

It it carved into the pill and should be on the pill bottle.

You'll just have to weather through it. But we depressed personalities are used to that, right?

I take a tiny tiny dose of lexapro since I had a small bout of depression brought about when they ablated my thyroid when it tried to kill me a few years ago. I'm generally fine as long as my hormone levels stay where they're supposed to. Other than that, I found it was just a matter of staying busy. Going outside helps a lot. Staying cooped up in a house all day is just not healthy when you're feeling down. I used to go out and do yard work which I absolutely hate, but just getting out in the sun for a while made me feel so much better.

From the sounds of a lot of the posts in this thread I should probably be on some kind of depression medication. However, my PCP feels that I shouldn't be on anything.

Normally I deal with depression by listening to music, writing, playing guitar, hanging with my friends, or reading some great comics.

That stuff hasn't been working and I don't feel like doing any of it. Don't feel like doing much of anything.

Believe it or not marijuana used to help me tremendously when I was really bad. When I was toking I would be way more social and productive at work. Go figure, right?

I've had it for years now but I only directly dealt with it with a psychologist recently, my old child psychologist at that. I saw her for my ADD for years. When I get depressed I get somehow tired and restless at the same time. My ADD goes nuts and I can't focus. I have trouble even watching a movie and I can forget entirely about trying to read a novel. I got back on ritalin a few months ago and it's helped tremendously. My ADD isn't causing my depression (I think that's a combination of a natural inclination and some very ****** personal happenings over the past couple of years) but it exacerbates it. When I'm on the vitamin R, I can focus and stop dwelling. It helps immensely.

I'll also come out and say that marijuana helps a lot too. That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense up front. The stoner cliche is someone with no attention span, but I find it has the opposite reaction. I can get baked after a bad day and I'm able to relax enough to watch a movie, read a book, or throw myself into an 8 hour writing and recording music session. It actually helps my focus. It also makes me feel good too, legitimately. Weed turns off my inner cynic.

Then there's my wife, who is the filter for all the stuff I'm too ashamed to catch. She's always there for the normal support, but she doesn't hesitate to call me on my failings and show some tough love. I need that and I love her for it.

What doesn't work is booze. About a year ago I was coming dangerously close to becoming an alcoholic. Drinking yourself into a stupor helps blur away the pain at first, but it opens up a whole new field of lethargy and self loathing that eventually just reconnects with the pain you were trying to mask in the first place. It's not even remotely worth it.

I find killing things in video games like Skyrim or Monster Hunter breaks me out of a depression.

P.S. Marijauna breaks you out of a depression because the chemical in the plant it's derived from dulls all your senses until you're a ball of apathy. ;)

Last edited:
The worst part I'm finding right now are the thoughts I'm having, like my family members dead, and I can't shake the thought. It's terrifying.

The worst part I'm finding right now are the thoughts I'm having, like my family members dead, and I can't shake the thought. It's terrifying.

Thoughts are one thing but would you actually want to see them dead is the question you need to ask yourself? I think you need to learn to channel your aggression in a positive way, like take up a sport like Kick Boxing, where you're using something inanimate like a punching bag to be your outlet. It's healthy to feel aggression sometimes because anger is an animation humans feel when they are being stressed by people. The unhealthy thing to do is bottle it up and let it boil up inside of you. I think it's good that you can admit to hostile feelings. The unstable person will feel the way you do, but not be bothered by it at all and would actually want to do violent things to their family members. I think your remedy is as I said, finding a healthy, physical outlet for your anger and aggression.

Thoughts are one thing but would you actually want to see them dead is the question you need to ask yourself? I think you need to learn to channel your aggression in a positive way, like take up a sport like Kick Boxing, where you're using something inanimate like a punching bag to be your outlet. It's healthy to feel aggression sometimes because anger is an animation humans feel when they are being stressed by people. The unhealthy thing to do is bottle it up and let it boil up inside of you. I think it's good that you can admit to hostile feelings. The unstable person will feel the way you do, but not be bothered by it at all and would actually want to do violent things to their family members. I think your remedy is as I said, finding a healthy, physical outlet for your anger and aggression.

I would never want them dead. I'm guessing all these thoughts are apart of the depression that I'm feeling.

I went for a long walk today and ate a little more. I've lost a stone in a week which is not good. I'm spending the evening with my gf which I'm looking forward to.

For those with anxiety, does it make you notice every little single thing wrong?

All very good advice. I also suffer from depression. Most recently, I have had to start taking an anti depressant med again. Somedays, I just hate my life and right now I am going through a very dark period. I would never kill myself, as I know that is not the answer, however, depression is a very tough, slimy pit to try and climb out of completely.

All very good advice. I also suffer from depression. Most recently, I have had to start taking an anti depressant med again. Somedays, I just hate my life and right now I am going through a very dark period. I would never kill myself, as I know that is not the answer, however, depression is a very tough, slimy pit to try and climb out of completely.

You summed up depression rather well here, in my opinion.

I've been going through depression over the past few years (mostly due to losing multiple loved ones). There are moments where I hate life so much that I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin (that's where my anxiety comes in), but I've never felt the urge to actively hurt myself, nor will I ever feel that urge. It's just that sometimes, I just want to do nothing and throw in the towel with the mentality of "what's the point of doing anything?," if that makes sense? Depression makes you feel too drained (emotionally and physically) to do anything, even when it comes to trying to get yourself out of it.

It's really hard to push yourself sometimes, and it gets even more frustrating and discouraging when you feel like you're being judged by others for being too weak or lazy, you know?

You just grab depression by the balls, squeeze and twist while shouting GTFO!

You summed up depression rather well here, in my opinion.

I've been going through depression over the past few years (mostly due to losing multiple loved ones). There are moments where I hate life so much that I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin (that's where my anxiety comes in), but I've never felt the urge to actively hurt myself, nor will I ever feel that urge. It's just that sometimes, I just want to do nothing and throw in the towel with the mentality of "what's the point of doing anything?," if that makes sense? Depression makes you feel too drained (emotionally and physically) to do anything, even when it comes to trying to get yourself out of it.

It's really hard to push yourself sometimes, and it gets even more frustrating and discouraging when you feel like you're being judged by others for being too weak or lazy, you know?
Last few days I felt like that. I feel like I'm mentally going to breakdown.

What one?

Anyone on Cymbalta? Went off Lexapro due to causing heart problems past 25mg.

I've been depressed since my wife left me a few months ago. I wake up either crying over it, happy that she is happier without me or angry as all bad place.

As for how I deal with the depression I don't really. I just try and go on with it as it is just something I feel I need to deal with and I really don't want to start going on medications for something like that.

I thought I had gotten over the worse of it when I found out that I need to wait 6 months of separation before we can be 'divorced'. I dislike the idea of putting my life on hold like that simply because and that makes me even more depressed

I've been severely depressed for the last 4 months now, since my wife (abruptly) decided to leave without any chance of reconcile. It's definitely been all ups and downs and as a result of the divorce I have been basically stranded, alone, with the majority of people I've been in contact with the last few years keeping their distance. I have had an extremely hard time accepting her decision and know I have made things worse in the process of attempting to fix things (texting/emailing her, even though she hasn't responded to anything in months).

I wake up anxious, sad, go to bed angry, crying. I've started getting migraines again. I can't do anything without thinking about her, about our years together, and just crashing. Sometimes things seem better, for a day or two, but it doesn't take much to bring it all back.

I guess I haven't figured out how to deal with it yet.

Prior to the divorce I have been situationally depressed over money, not finding a steady job, having massive college debt and not having a clear way to get rid of it, not being able to help support the family I was starting, suffering with social anxiety, etc... but it never got as bad as it is now.

Last edited:
I was diagnosedwith depression at the age of 15. Only until a year ago was it rediagnosed as bipolar disorder II. I understand the comments made in here about medications and the fears of them, but while I've had some horrible situations with a few meds, I can honestly say without them I would be dead. Working closely with your doctor and stopping medications and contacting your doctor or psych's office immediately when something doesn't feel "right" is key.

Sure, hobbies (fishing was mentioned above and that always helped on really bad days), excercise, diet, and a good sleep schedule is important and can do wonders if you adhere to them. But there are times when the brain doesn't produce what is necessary.

i don't deal with my depression really. i avoid it and shut it down and try not to think of it. i come from a family with a big history of depression, drug use and suicide. i've lost more to those 3 than i can count these days. we're not an affectionate bunch at all. a 5 year old can express more emotions than i can, and for someone who is very well versed in language and verbiage (don't let my southern drawl fool you) when it comes to expressing myself and my feelings, i just can't find the words. sometimes i can't even tell if i'm experiencing or feeling an emotion. i just am so apathetic all the time eh

i try to keep myself, well my brain busy as much as possible so i can't think of the things that bother me. i read a lot. i coach/volunteer with little league, and i work a ton. my debts are a big part of my problem and i'm trying to get rid of them as best as i can.

i truly believe that once i move out on my own, my depression and mentality will improve immensely. i come home and have no motivation to do anything, i don't really have any friends anymore outside of work, and we don't talk outside of work. i've kind of become a hermit i think.

I was diagnosed with a couple different kinds of depression as a child. Over the last two decades or so, I've found that thinking things through and learning to put things in context helped immensely.

A lot of my depression, and the things that I used to dwell on changed when my mindset and worldview changed. When I stopped looking at things in such a black and white manner, and the way I wanted the world to be, and began to accept myself and embrace who I am.

I learned to recognize it for what it is, and first to live with it, and to accept it as a part of life, this being able to feel so strongly, or sometimes not at all, and then to move beyond it. I still have seasonal bouts and occassional anxiety, and its probably something I'll always struggle with, but its a lot better than it ever was. The combination of medication and counseling was key for me, as was creative work.

Last edited:
I don't remember a time when I wasn't depressed.

Right now, I am going through a very dark time in my life. I have no job, left my second college due to a back injury, and am about to move to the West Coast for my third try at post-secondary education with no money, in a field that doesn't qualify me to do anything I can't already besides develop the discipline to be a full-time writer. I have little contact with my parents, and only one friend that I can truly count on.

Just last night, I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop recalling all of the horrible events in my life, and wondering how the person all of this happened to could possibly be me. I wake up each morning not knowing who I am, because if I let my past define me, I would never want to wake up again.

The only thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that I may be different, but I am also exceptional. I will not let my life be wasted, no matter how long it takes. I may not be normal, or liked, or accepted, but that's all that I have known, and I've lived 23 years despite that. No matter how abysmal I feel now, it will not be in vain.

That's how I deal with depression. Is it the best method? Probably not. But it's the only way I know, and I'm alive.

Took antidepressants years ago and they dont fix the problem. They just make you feel numb. The doc had to slowly get me off it when I requested to stop. Its a very long road that doesnt lead to any real solution.

I find it that lots of regular excersice and marijuana at night help far far far more than all the pills. Im serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"