Diamond List for January 23, 2008

TV animation counts as animation, but if you're going to debate the best that animation has to offer, looking at the garbage on TV is pointless.

Well, that's the point, isn't it? Animes that air as TV shows in Japan sometimes have animation that's almost in the same league as American animated movies because the animation business in Japan is so huge. Animated TV in Japan is profitable enough that they can sink the money into those shows to make them look pretty spectacular (aside from the bland style). We've seen some of that here, as well. Gargoyles and Justice League/Justice League Unlimited actually boasted some pretty impressive animation themselves on a few episodes. It's just far more common in Japan.

Well, that's the point, isn't it? Animes that air as TV shows in Japan sometimes have animation that's almost in the same league as American animated movies because the animation business in Japan is so huge.

You keep saying that, and I can't help but laugh at it every time. What anime are you watching that comes close to American film animation?

Animated TV in Japan is profitable enough that they can sink the money into those shows to make them look pretty spectacular (aside from the bland style). We've seen some of that here, as well. Gargoyles and Justice League/Justice League Unlimited actually boasted some pretty impressive animation themselves on a few episodes. It's just far more common in Japan.

I've NEVER seen an TV anime and thought, wow, that's spectacular animation on par with Disney. Never ever. It's clean, it's crisp. But at the end of the day, it's ALWAYS stiff.

Neon Genesis Evangelion aired as a TV series in Japan, as far as I know, and the motion of the actual Evas is pretty fluid to me. It's not as consistent as Disney movies, but it has its moments where it comes close.

The one major problem that detracts from all anime, in my opinion, is that they often have those stupid 'action' shots that are really just still images with bright, crazy backgrounds. Those piss me off.

That's one of the things that springs to mind, yes. And those stiff action shots are about as much movement as you're likely to see in any given anime. As for NGE, I've seen it and the animation just doesn't hold a candle to Disney's stuff. Granted, it's a TV anime, so there's not as much money put into it, but still.

We can't really compare the two effectively because while we have easy access to any english/american animation we only really get a bit of anime from Japan. Without knowing more and spreaking Japanese we're missing too much to do a comparison.

Yes, but we mainly get mainstream stuff if you will (things translated) so I'm sure there's worlds of it we have no idea about. I'm assuming, but that's generally how it works.

There are plenty of fansubs if you know where to look.

Besides, the mainstream stuff tends to get the money to make it look good. I doubt any fringe/underground anime could compete with big-budget mainstream anime visually.

You're probably right, but since I don't know enough about it, I have to still go with we don't really know. Sometimes it's the new underground stuff that's really great.

I guess it's possible. American TV animation has stepped up a bit, too. Legion of Super-Heroes consistently looks pretty great, even if the style chosen for it is kind of crappy. The upcoming Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon's animation looks crisp and fluid, too.

I'm not too big on the civilian design of Peter himself, but the animation looks really smooth.

Eh, I'm not a huge fan of the style of the show either. That seems to be par for the course for me these days, though. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends is the only cartoon that I really sit up and think, "This is a great style for this cartoon." Everything else has too much of an anime or graffiti art influence. I always find myself wishing superhero cartoons would feature people who look more like people.

Yeah, and older cartoons like GI Joe and stuff. Not at that level of quality, obviously, because the animation in those cartoons sucked massive ass. But I'm sure it can't be impossible to get people looking at least a little more realistic without sacrificing animation quality.

I'd like to see American cartoons go back to animating people, too. The only problem I have with it, is that the civilian designs usually involve clothes and styles that are 10 years behind the animation. That's where the newer graffitti art styles have them beat. I don't necessarily like what Peter's got on his back, but at least he looks like a typical kid, you know?

Yeah, that I agree with. Same with comics, though. Remember a few years ago when most Spidey artists still drew Peter in tight-ass jeans with white Reeboks? It wasn't until about 5 years ago that JR Jr. finally modernized a bit and started loosening Peter's jeans and putting him in t-shirts and normal, modern clothing. All it really takes is some art direction from a person with their head on right. Have the designers retain the realistic look but crack open a magazine or watch a music video or just people-watch at a high school.

That's one of the reasons that Alphona was the perfect artist for Runaways.

Indeed. I wonder if Bagley did any research to catch up on modern clothing before he started USM. I remember back when he was drawing ASM, he was one of the absolute worst at making Peter seem like a typical 20-something because he dressed like he was easily in his 30s or 40s.

Now you got me thinking about Pete's design from a few years back. God, it was bad. I remember the spandex jeans, the spandex shirts and the spit curl mullet. :(

Haha, yeah. It was kind of a guilty of pleasure of mine, now that I think of it. All the older fans got to read Peter's high school adventures where he was a loser because he was a huge nerd. His god-awful taste in clothes made him a huge geek for me, so it was kind of like recapturing part of that lost era. Now he dresses all normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"