Dick Grayson Casting Thread

If he's an adult, he's basically Nightwing anyway, and it cuts out the whole "adopted" thing anyway.

If you want to just go a "he's another adult vigilante doing this anyway, Bruce might as well train him so he doesn't die", whatever, it more or less works. It's also a little lame and pointless. There's a reason Chris morphed the whole idea into a successor.

After watching this trailer a hundred times, I kinda just wanna...stick with Batman? I can see Reeves bringing Robin into the third movie and I have faith that he'll do it justice, make it emotional. Maybe he'll start out with the knee pads and the hood? And then some Nightwing spin off with the kid can be green lit after the trilogy?

But after this film, I don't really NEED to see another Batman movie where a young guy is going through those goth/emo struggles (after losing their parents). Bruce seeing himself in Dick Grayson while finally having the tools to help him. That sentence sounds like the right direction for this Robin but it also sounds like watching the same movie.

I'd rather have Catwoman as Batman's sidekick when he needs her. I need to see more of Batman and Gordon together too (which takes a bit of a backseat once Robin enters the picture). I don't know man...

That trailer has me wanting more of Batman by himself, standing confident, in his prime, solving a new crime while the rogues gallery piles up. That's all I need. The third movie is the earliest point in time where I can believe this Bruce Wayne as some father figure teaching somebody else. But by then, all of our fancasts are thrown out the window (maybe even my pick Noah Jupe).

I think it would be an excellent time to introduce Robin, and consequently the full bat family, who knows? Introduce him at movie 2, movie 3 makes the full transformation and keep going.
The truth is, I think everybody wants to see every corner of the Batman universe in this universe now. :funny:

upload_2021-10-23_20-39-1.png

Last edited:
I think it would be an excellent time to introduce Robin, and consequently the full bat family, who knows? Introduce him at movie 2, movie 3 makes the full transformation and keep going.
The truth is, I think everybody wants to see every corner of the Batman universe in this universe now. :funny:

View attachment 50111
Given Reeves' love of the 66 series and his clear influence by Long Halloween, I also suspect he is a fan of Dark Victory. I also think given his discussions of this being about Bruce growing and evolving and wanting to tell a humanist story, I really think he is going to take a pro-Bat Family approach to this trilogy. I think a big chunk of this will be about how Bruce combats his mental illness and the hole left by the death of his family by building a new ersatz family of his own.

Given Reeves' love of the 66 series and his clear influence by Long Halloween, I also suspect he is a fan of Dark Victory. I also think given his discussions of this being about Bruce growing and evolving and wanting to tell a humanist story, I really think he is going to take a pro-Bat Family approach to this trilogy. I think a big chunk of this will be about how Bruce combats his mental illness and the hole left by the death of his family by building a new ersatz family of his own.
Oh yeah, if Dark Victory influences the sequel... **chef kiss***
Not only'd humanize even more Bruce, the bat family would also be a great departure from TDK trilogy.

How would you adapt Robin into this world?

After watching this trailer a hundred times, I kinda just wanna...stick with Batman? I can see Reeves bringing Robin into the third movie and I have faith that he'll do it justice, make it emotional. Maybe he'll start out with the knee pads and the hood? And then some Nightwing spin off with the kid can be green lit after the trilogy?

But after this film, I don't really NEED to see another Batman movie where a young guy is going through those goth/emo struggles (after losing their parents). Bruce seeing himself in Dick Grayson while finally having the tools to help him. That sentence sounds like the right direction for this Robin but it also sounds like watching the same movie.

I'd rather have Catwoman as Batman's sidekick when he needs her. I need to see more of Batman and Gordon together too (which takes a bit of a backseat once Robin enters the picture). I don't know man...

That trailer has me wanting more of Batman by himself, standing confident, in his prime, solving a new crime while the rogues gallery piles up. That's all I need. The third movie is the earliest point in time where I can believe this Bruce Wayne as some father figure teaching somebody else. But by then, all of our fancasts are thrown out the window (maybe even my pick Noah Jupe).

Bada-bingo. :up:

Not "Bat-Family" here, please. Keep all that stuff over in the "main DC verse" or whatever, feels so out of place here.

If he's an adult, he's basically Nightwing anyway, and it cuts out the whole "adopted" thing anyway.
Explain to me why Dick Grayson can't be Robin at 18?
Nothing magic happens when somebody turns 18 that totally alters somebody's physical appearance. The biggest thing is that guys are seen as adult by the law.
I wrote about this already in my previous response:
Change 17 to 18 then. It's only a one year difference but it will make Dick Grayson a legal adult. Can you accept him as Robin then?
I must ask you JubJub86: How much physical difference is there between 17 and 18 in your eyes?
And WHY does Grayson HAVE to become Nightwing the day he becomes 18?

The third movie is the earliest point in time where I can believe this Bruce Wayne as some father figure teaching somebody else. But by then, all of our fancasts are thrown out the window (maybe even my pick Noah Jupe).
It's sad that several suitable actors might never get the chance to play Robin. The most suggested ones here (Jupe, Levi, Martell, Schnapp) are simply too old.
It's because it will be such a long time before we get Robin on the screen again.
We have to look at some of the youngest in the film industry today to find those who will be in the running for Dick Grayson when the character is finally introduced in a film again.
At the moment, they're actual kids and way too young. We don’t think about them as a possible Robin.
The thing is, with Warner Brothers’ slow pace, these kids will be ready to play the role 5+ years from now.
We probably won’t get Robin before 2026 anyway.

So we can expect Jackson Robert Scott (IT, The Prodigy, Locke & Key) and Christopher Convery (Brahms: The Boy II) to be possible choices when the time comes. No matter how weird it seems right now.

Last edited:
I have zero interest in trying to find underaged actors who can play Robin lol. And whoever gets the part will probably be an unknown who may or may not even be in the industry right now. I’m sure huge auditions will take place. So I’m not gonna waste my time with all that stuff. It’s different when there are experienced adult actors in the biz for a while and you’re fancasting them for villain roles.

Also, there's a difference between 16, 17, 18, 19. You're a teenager in those years and your body is constantly growing and developing (even from 17 to 18). The voice changes etc.

Yes, let Dick Grayson be a character in the second film. I think it's likely to happen.
It's still hope for our favorites, then. They won't be too old.

I have zero interest in trying to find underaged actors who can play Robin.
I meant generally that *we* (as in people here at SHH) have to fancast Robin with younger people. I didn't specifically ask you to do it.

As there are a couple of kids in the industry already, I won't count them out as possible future contenders for the role.

Also, there's a difference between 16, 17, 18, 19. You're a teenager in those years and your body is constantly growing and developing (even from 17 to 18). The voice changes etc.
There's not a HUGE difference from 17 to 18. Not for everybody, atleast.
There was once a guy I hadn't seen for a year. He had barely changed.

There are a lot of online fancastings for Robin. More actors than we have suggested here at SHH. Isn’t it weird?
Not only do we love films in general (and actors and directors too), but the main focus here is superheroes and CBMs. Then why don’t we bring up the same amount of candidates? Could it be that the Robin character doesn’t have enough fans here, and we simply don’t care?
Among the many names I found (for any of the Robins) are Jake Schur, Max Charles, Griffin Gluck, Kale Culley, Joshua Bassett,
Louis Partridge, Jared Gilmore and William Franklyn-Miller. Impressive!
I notice that they're all, more or less, close to the typical Robin look. (imo, Partridge would be best)
It's the same here at SHH. The very few candidates that are brought up are classic Robins.
I know how hard it is to think outside the box. People just can’t see an untraditional actor for the character. I’ve tried to steer the discussion towards such candidates in earlier posts in this thread, without response.

Let's look at the upcoming Pattinson version. It's going to be a trilogy and Dick Grayson will show up at one point.
What's Reeves going to go for when it comes to Robin? That’s a tricky question. Will it be a certain type of actor?
I was thinking that Asher Angel would be good choice if he wasn’t already Billy Batson.
With him, it’s proven that a (former) Disney Channel actor can be cast in a DC superhero adaption. Not all of them are bad performers.
Could Reeves go for the same kind of lightweight people as Asher, and pull out someone's real acting skills? Or would he lean towards those who have done darker roles before?
Maybe he favors authenticity and casts an actual circus kid? Someone similar to Alexey Goloborodko from Cirque du Soleil, but ten years younger?

Since I brought up the Shazam film, I can also mention Jack Dylan Grazer. I guess some people might prefer him over Asher when it comes to Robin.

BTW, here's a link I found with even more (but quite old) names. It was put together quite recently.
5 Actors Who Would Make A Great Robin For Robert Pattinson’s Batman
Weird that there aren't any younger actors there (Jupe, Martell etc).
I find Lucas Hedges to be the most intriguing suggestion on the list.
He's a really good actor. He also happens to need a franchise. Chalamet has Dune, so why not this guy too?

Last edited:
I think it’s because you have like 10+ questions in a single post lol so ppl don’t know where to start.

Lucas Hedges is too old for the part. Unlike Chalamet he doesn’t look 16 years old. Lucas also has more of a Jason Todd energy. Timmy is just in everything at the moment so it would be overexposure if he was in this trilogy too. Dune is enough of a franchise for him.

I think it’s because you have like 10+ questions in a single post lol so ppl don’t know where to start.

Lucas Hedges is too old for the part. Unlike Chalamet he doesn’t look 16 years old. Lucas also has more of a Jason Todd energy. Timmy is just in everything at the moment so it would be overexposure if he was in this trilogy too. Dune is enough of a franchise for him.
Maybe, but I don't think people care enough.
SHH is not a place where we get all the many fancasts for Robin that can be found elsewhere. Only a handful of the actors are mentioned.

I think I cover 1 or 2 topics in each post. The various questions may seem many but they always tie back to one of the main topics.
One could try to answer one of these questions or give an overall opinion about the broader topic. :)
Maybe comment on actor suggestions?

Everybody in the link have grown out of the character. I pointed out they're were old, for that reason.
But among them, Hedges seemed the most interesting choice. Perhaps not the best, but still the most interesting. He would have brought something new to the table because he doesn't look like Grayson.
I wonder why the creator of the list didn't include younger candidates.

I also want to clarify one thing. It's Hedges who needs a franchise. I didn't mean that Chalament should get another one in addition to Dune.
I can re-post the last line from the post.
"Chalamet has Dune, so why not this guy (=HEDGES) too?"

You're correct about actors having much exposure. Chalamet had that already BEFORE he did Dune. The guy was everywhere and was recieving so much praise. Like a River Phoenix of our day. On top of all that, he also got Dune. He's pretty much overexposured now.

Last edited:
I still think that we don’t really know enough about the world building that Reeves is doing to make an educated assumption about this world and whether Dick Grayson could fit in it. We can only have a 2 minute trailer. I think whether the bat family could fit going forward hinges primarily on Bruce’s mental state at the end of the first movie. We don’t know what the hero’s journey will look like yet.

I still think that we don’t really know enough about the world building that Reeves is doing to make an educated assumption about this world and whether Dick Grayson could fit in it. We can only have a 2 minute trailer. I think whether the bat family could fit going forward hinges primarily on Bruce’s mental state at the end of the first movie. We don’t know what the hero’s journey will look like yet.
Yes, there's things we don't know yet. We have yet to see the complete film and how Gotham will be different from earlier versions. Whatever this vision is like is going to affect the characters, including Dick Grayson when he later becomes a part of the story. And the casting process for him.

Matt Reeves is creating something new for us here. He's both director and writer, meaning he will have a lot of creative control.
We shouldn't forget the co-writer Peter Craig either.
I'm also quite sure that Warner Brothers have a final say in every decision, also the choice of actor. (but it's best to not listen too much to the studio, it's WB after all, lol)

These things have been brought up in the thread before. We can't dicuss them too much :)

I'm not a fan of the design changes to a character like Riddler. I hope Robin won't be as different from his classic image as the villain is, but still can have something close to his typical suit. That's the most important thing to me among the visuals.
I don't care as much if he's blond, or latino, or mixed race, as long as the costume is still there.

What about the character traits and personality, then? Will we get a Grayson who isn't what he usually has been in the past?
I stumbled across something interesting at We Got This Covered. I can't post a link to the page, it doesn't work.
Try to search for "The Batman Universe’s Robin Will Reportedly Be Dark And Crazy"

Last edited:
WHTC make up rubbish. The suit for Robin will probably be the main change from the source material and I welcome it. Just like Riddler it needs to be updated.

Nah, adult Robin in domino mask & bright shorty-shorts or bust, baybay.

The suit for Robin will probably be the main change from the source material and I welcome it. Just like Riddler it needs to be updated.
Why do you think it's likely they will come up with a new costume for Robin when Batman's is still looking similar to his usual self?
I don't understand that you want it either. Do you have problems with the way it looks? The colors?

What we deserve is to get proof that the actual Robin suit can and will work in a big screen live action film.
You might see that as a big challenge to overcome but it's not the case, not anymore. CBMs have come a long way the last 20 years. Even more so the last 5-10.
Just go with the right fabrics and materials.
We've seen Wonder Woman and Aquaman wear their historic comic book costumes.
Look at Marve tool! They did Spider-Man and Captain America.
All of them are awesome.
Next up in line is Hawkman.
And yet you somehow see Robin's tights as too cheesy?
Come on! If it's done completely right, the classic design is going look great onscreen as the same time as it makes sense within the story. You already know that, right?

Robin is an iconic character.
It's not required to change the costume into something completely different. For what reason would that be done?
To make the character look edgy for a brief moment in history, before the suit goes back to the design it used to have? Whatever outfit they come up with that doesn't remind us of Robin, won't be long-lived. And then everybody involved with the Reeves trilogy are going to understand they screwed up the sidekick.
Why experiment with his classic image as a part of an experiment that won't last, anyway?
They did that with Superman in the comic books once. I think it was late 90s. And it was a failure.

This is a casting thread so we straying too much from topic now.
I can add that the chosen actor (whoever that is) should be able to have the real Robin costume and look like the actual sidekick. He needs to wear it, or else it will be a big disservice to both fans and the character.
There's always the chance to go for a new thing in an actor that doesn't look like Dick Grayson (I'll get back to that another time). Or to do something different with the character, as live action Titans did. But the suit has to stay!
Titans also proved that it works within an edgy world.

Think about how terrible it will be if the sidekick's outfit was altered too much from the real thing, resulting in a similar (visual) abomination that's the new Riddler.

upload_2021-11-4_2-11-36.jpeg

Why do you think it's likely they will come up with a new costume for Robin when Batman's is still looking similar to his usual self?
I don't understand that you want it either. Do you have problems with the way it looks? The colors?

What we deserve is to get proof that the actual Robin suit can and will work in a big screen live action film.
You might see that as a big challenge to overcome but it's not the case, not anymore. CBMs have come a long way the last 20 years. Even more so the last 5-10.
All of them are awesome.
Come on! If it's done completely right, the classic design is going look great onscreen as the same time as it makes sense within the story. You already know that, right?

It's not required to change the costume into something completely different. For what reason would that be done?
To make the character look edgy for a brief moment in history, before the suit goes back to the design it used to have? Whatever outfit they come up with that doesn't remind us of Robin, won't be long-lived. And then everybody involved with the Reeves trilogy are going to understand they screwed up the sidekick.
Why experiment with his classic image as a part of an experiment that won't last, anyway?
They did that with Superman in the comic books once. I think it was late 90s. And it was a failure.

I can add that the chosen actor (whoever that is) should be able to have the real Robin costume and look like the actual sidekick. He needs to wear it, or else it will be a big disservice to both fans and the character.
There's always the chance to go for a new thing in an actor that doesn't look like Dick Grayson (I'll get back to that another time). Or to do something different with the character, as live action Titans did. But the suit has to stay!

Think about how terrible it will be if the sidekick's outfit was altered too much from the real thing, resulting in a similar (visual) abomination that's the new Riddler.

View attachment 50360
It doesn't matter if it doesn't last in other media, what matters if it works for this take.

All of them are awesome.

View attachment 50360
First off, we may butt heads on this because you think Dano's Riddler design is an abomination but I think it looks fantastic. I had no problem with a suit and tie, if the colours were a bit muted (no bowler hat or cane), which is what I expected Nolan's Riddler to be like. But this is a serial killer hiding his identity and being meticulous while committing murders. So the Zodiac look fits like a glove. It's all about context.

When was the last time Batman wore tights in a movie? So why do you expect Robin to wear tights? It's ridiculous and will never happen in this trilogy. I don't mind him starting out with knee pads, domino mask and hood over his head. Until he gets injured, the kid learns the hard way and starts using what Battinson wears for pants. Something like Snyder's Robin suit that was on display is fine by me. He needs armour. The colours won't be bright either.

Don't get me started on how much I hate Marvel's latest Spider-Man suits. Ugh. Raimi's Spidey suit is the only one I love. Different argument though.

I'm fully expecting Robin to have something close to Batman in this movie but different colours. Yes, Robin's tights are cheesy lol. You think Robin's classic design will work for this story? Haha how? Please do explain.

Superman is also iconic. That doesn't mean his underwear over the tights will work today. Which is why Snyder made the smartest decision he ever made in his life, and took them off Superman in Man of Steel. Batman doesn't need a yellow symbol on his chest or blue or white eyes just because "it's classic bro". Some things just don't work in live-action. Especially in a modern world and/or a tougher grittier city/tone.

I guess it just depends on what Robin suits you're thinking of. Why does his first suit have to evolve to the classic one that you love? Why is that a requirement here? Lol just say you're a purist and move on. A lot of us aren't, and feel like Robin can be updated for whatever context and universe they see fit. How do you know it will be a disservice or that fans will turn on Reeves? Open your mind and wait until you see it, new ideas or not.

Show me some pics of Robin that you'd like to see the actor wear.

It doesn't matter if it doesn't last in other media, what matters if it works for this take.
I'm curious about this. Why would a designer on the crew come up with a new costume when the old is good enough? That wouldn't be a required change to fix something "broken", but a change for the sake of change itself.
I also wonder why some people would ask for a new outfit for Robin, when we include the last years of CBMs into the matter.
We have seen that the various DC suits actually do look good onscreen. Even the most cheesy ones from the comic books that people thought would never work in live action.
When we got Wonder Woman, especially in the first solo adventure, it was like she stepped right out of the comic book frame and onto the big screen. The design was amazing.
Even at the end of Aquaman, Momoa got the actual classic gold and green suit. It will return in the sequel.
Why are there still doubts that the same can be done with Robin? It's not like a guess that it maybe could work. It has actually already been proved that it does. Look at Brenton Thwaites.
That one was made on a TV budget and it was still good. I expect the classic Robin to look even better in a blockbuster.
Reeve's Riddler look is an "abomination"?

You do you, pal.
I just expressed my personal opinion. You are free to have your own :)

First off, we may butt heads on this because you think Dano's Riddler design is an abomination but I think it looks fantastic. I had no problem with a suit and tie, if the colours were a bit muted (no bowler hat or cane), which is what I expected Nolan's Riddler to be like. But this is a serial killer hiding his identity and being meticulous while committing murders. So the Zodiac look fits like a glove. It's all about context.

When was the last time Batman wore tights in a movie? So why do you expect Robin to wear tights? It's ridiculous and will never happen in this trilogy. I don't mind him starting out with knee pads, domino mask and hood over his head. Until he gets injured, the kid learns the hard way and starts using what Battinson wears for pants. Something like Snyder's Robin suit that was on display is fine by me. He needs armour. The colours won't be bright either.

Don't get me started on how much I hate Marvel's latest Spider-Man suits. Ugh. Raimi's Spidey suit is the only one I love. Different argument though.

I'm fully expecting Robin to have something close to Batman in this movie but different colours. Yes, Robin's tights are cheesy lol. You think Robin's classic design will work for this story? Haha how? Please do explain.

Superman is also iconic. That doesn't mean his underwear over the tights will work today. Which is why Snyder made the smartest decision he ever made in his life, and took them off Superman in Man of Steel. Batman doesn't need a yellow symbol on his chest or blue or white eyes just because "it's classic bro". Some things just don't work in live-action. Especially in a modern world and/or a tougher grittier city/tone.

I guess it just depends on what Robin suits you're thinking of. Why does his first suit have to evolve to the classic one that you love? Why is that a requirement here? Lol just say you're a purist and move on. A lot of us aren't, and feel like Robin can be updated for whatever context and universe they see fit. How do you know it will be a disservice or that fans will turn on Reeves? Open your mind and wait until you see it, new ideas or not.

Show me some pics of Robin that you'd like to see the actor wear.
I love that we're discussing Robin :)
It's not so much about actors or the casting though. We can get back to that later.

I will from now on only use words as costume, outfit or suit, not tights, even if I mean the same thing. :)

I start with Batman as a comparison. His suit is altered back and forth for every new actor that plays the role.
But the hero always looks as Batman should. He never wears something completely different as a part of a creative experiment.
It's because the designers use the comic books as the main influence.
I think the same must be done with Robin. He has to look like Robin. He can't wear something completely unrecognizable.
We don't need to to go back to the first couple of Bryan Singer X-Men where the mutants had ditched their colorful comic book costumes and wore black leather outfits instead.
That worked within the context of the story, but the same context was actually there in the first place for a reason. It would have been impossible to use the real costumes at that time.
But since the early 2000s, we have gotten to a new point. It's not risky anymore to have actual comic book suits.
It's now evident that dorky comic book costumes can be transferred to live action and work well. I claim that Robin can too.
If this is only about being a purist, like you say, then why don't every superhero get a totally new outfit in every film adaption? Why is it so fantastic to see Momoa wear the real Aquaman costume during the final scenes?
And why do people think it's cool with the classic Black Adam and Hawkman designs for the upcoming film? It seems the film is going to be a bit grim. Couldn't people be just as happy if the characters wore something different than in the comic books, something that works better in the context of the dark story?
The answer is that the suits are a big part of the characters' legacy. Remove that and it's going to feel off.
People don't only want to see the various characters being adapted, but their costumes too.

You ask me to give examples to how the classic Robin design can work.
We don't have to go further than Brenton Thwaites in the first season of Titans.
Maybe the costume in Reeves' trilogy should be a bit more sleak than that though?

In the comic books, Robin's costume has changed with every character who wears it.
Sometimes the yellow is gone, sometimes the green. But the red always remains. And the character always look like Robin
One could use bits and pieces from several of them. Let every Robin suit influence the one we're going to get in Reeves' Batfilms. What do you think about that?
Personally, I will find it to be (visually) true to the character if the actor can wear a Robin costume that makes him look like Robin. That's the most important thing to me.
If the character is more like Todd or Drake despite being called Grayson, is of less importance (imo). The same goes if the actor is half-asian, hispanic, blond or whatever. It's the suit that makes him feel like Robin.
This one certainly does:
upload_2021-11-5_1-26-5.jpeg

The design would obviously go for a darker shade of red.
I actually have one idea that could be used. They can go for something similar to the muted red worn in the Shang-Chi film. The red fabric looks quite good, as well.
It can be used for inspiration. They shouldn't copy it right off
This is only a suggestion.
upload_2021-11-5_1-18-6.jpeg

And then a comment on Riddler
Personally, I think Reeves could have made something closer to classic costume work in the same context. One doesn't have to go all Jim Carrey, that was too extreme even at the other end of the scale.
Maybe something closer to the design of the new Batsuit, in a very dark green color? Then maybe a single small question mark logo on the chest?
In 1966, Gorshin's Riddler used the same materials for the costume as West's Bats. That could be the case here too. While Riddler is a criminal mastermind, he could always be the more insane version of the dark knight. Their respective costume designs can be two sides of the same coin.
That was only a suggestion, one of the ways to go. Not a final design.

And last, the different Superman costume I mentioned isn't the Snyder one without the trunks. It was an experiment in the 90s.

Last edited:
Something like Snyder's Robin suit that was on display is fine by me. He needs armour. The colours won't be bright either.
I want to comment on this, as well.
I found a good pic of the Snyder suit without Joker's words written all over it.
It has dark colors but doesn't seem to be heavily on armor.

It actually looks like Robin's classic outfit is taken from the comic books over to the big screen. Both red, green and yellow are present. This is supposedly close to what the character will wear in a film. I hope Reeves sees the point

images

I'll add a pic of Brenton Thwaites. It can't be doubted anymore that a version of the real Robin suit is going to look good in live action in our time!
upload_2021-11-5_2-30-32.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"