Dick Grayson Casting Thread

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by DeGenerate10, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Invader Joker Registered

That's why you're gonna get a Bat-Family with Keaton's Batman in the DCEU.

C Prometheus likes this.
  2. Invader Joker Registered

‘The Batman’: Robert Pattinson on His Love of ‘Death in the Family’ and Why He’d Like to Use the Story In a Sequel

This has let us know several things:
    1. Both Reeves and Robert have some interest in doing Robin.
    2. If/when they do Robin it'll be a grounded version of the character.
    3. Robert wants Robin to be 13, Reeves doesn't seem that keen in that idea.
    4. They both mentioned Death in the Family in relation to Robin, so if they do Robin it'll either be Jason Todd or they'll kill Dick Grayson off.

Also I have to add how cruel it is for Rob to mention, right after saying he wants a 13 year old Robin, he wants to the story where he gets killed but it's on brand for him lmao

C Prometheus likes this.
  3. Airwings Waves of air

I think 13 is way too young for a Robin in that kind of dark universe.

But I have found some young actors, born between 2005 and 2009
    Ezra Dewey (The Boy Behind the Door)
    Christian Convery (Sweet Tooth)
    Jack Veal (kid Loki)
    Mason Thames (The Black Phone)

4. codesveburn Registered

I pick Woody Norman (C'mon C'mon). He's really good and his father-son dynamic with Joaquin is awesome, he's exactly 13 y.o now (so if they really want to cast Robin, he will be older). But im not exactly sure they will include Robin especially at that young age, but almost-adult looking Robin doesnt interest me as well.

Airwings and antsman41 like this.
  5. Brotherhood Registered

I just personally can't see it working yet. Obviously I need to see the film, but I think Bruce is too young at the moment. I think I'd rather them do the trilogy, focus on Bruce/Batman and his villains, tell that story, and then bring in Robin for a new set of stories. I think we need time with this Bruce first.

6. Airwings Waves of air

Good suggestion. I will see the film when it opens here.
    Maybe Daniel Ranieri (Tender Bar) could work too. I've heard he had good chemistry with Affleck but I haven't seen the film yet.

I agree with you that Grayson should not look too much of an adult.
    But 13 is still extremely young.
    Perhaps they should cast a 15 year old but the character is 13. It wouldn't be too unbelievable.

Just like in the Nolan films, then.

Ok, let's say they skip Robin this time too. What will happen then?
    Pattinson will eventually be replaced. Somewhere around 2030 or so. Warner Bros will reboot the character and get a new actor. It's very likely going to be a third take on the gritty and/or grounded Batman (because it works so well for the character).
    It's going to be differences (but still a couple of similarities) to the previous so-called "realistic" Batmen Bale and Pattinson*.
    Perhaps they'll go full horror by then, to let the version have its own unique style and set it apart from what came before. Just a thought.
    Then it's going to be the same thing all over again. "No, Robin won't work in this universe. It's too dark. Keep the focus on Bruce and do a trilogy where they flesh out the dark knight's personal journey and struggles. Batman should be the priority. The boy wonder can be introduced AFTER that, after the trilogy".
    And then we're in the 2040s. LOL.
    There will always be an excuse to not have Grayson. That's going to happen for every new Batman actor.
    People either overlook or don't care that Titans made Robin suit a dark world.

*Affleck was also a dark take on the character, but his world had fantastical elements. And a dead Robin which we never saw. It was done intentionally because not even that version would have worked with the sidekick. Just look at the violent warehouse fight. The circus kid would have been crushed in seconds. Only the supernatural stuff (aliens, greek gods, DC superheroes) makes it stick out. Other than that, it's a gritty Batman.
    The Robin costume on display was mostly fan-service.

7. Boom I got nothin'

If they bring Robin into the fold he can't be younger than 16. Just the way Reeves has shaped his world, I can't conceive of a child running around in this.

#957 Boom, Feb 16, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  8. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

For some reason I still think WB is scared of having a young Robin in these Batman films despite the fact we have seen a teen Spider-Man and Hit Girl from Kick Ass.

The teen sidekick thing is still seen as morally dubious.

9. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

The woke mob won’t allow it

10. Brotherhood Registered

Woke doesn't really mean anything.

Anyway, I think its more to do with not wanting to take the focus away from Batman.

11. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I don't really believe that for a second. They don't find it morally dubious, they just find it impossible to take seriously, due to their own biases and assumptions about what constitutes a "proper" movie.

Airwings likes this.
  12. WayneMB Registered

ah, you're one of those cringelords

BMW 224 likes this.
  13. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

The woke mob won’t even let you bring your radio into the bath tub!

14. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

I am loving Reeves cans Pattinsons comments on Robin. Sounds like he is coming to the series! Would love to see him in the sequel

Airwings likes this.
  15. Airwings Waves of air

You have a point. Maybe 16 is the youngest Warner should go.
    For the actor, that is.
    The character can be younger.
    If Grayson is introduced in a sequel that comes out in 2025, the shooting of the film would have begun the previous year. If it's going to be an actor who will be 16 during 2024, then he's born as late as 2008.

I found a couple from that year with a look that fits Dick Grayson:
    Ambrosio De Luca and Kaan Guldur. The latter played young Arthur Curry in Aquaman which means people at Warner know about him.

There are also those who want Robin to be 19 or in his early 20s.
    If the actor is right, it can work. But there's always the risk of getting a new Chris O'Donnell situation. A lot of people have a problem with him being too old for the role. And yes, his age was evident. He was an adult trying to act like a cool, rebellious teenager.

Just for comparison, I looked up some "older" candidates. In 2025, these will be around the same age as O'Donnell when he first played Robin.
    Do you think they would feel as miscast as he did because of their age?

CJ Adams
    Griffin Gluck
    Lino Facioli
    Joshua Bassett
    Aramis Knight
    Gavin Casalegno
    Jace Norman
    Isaac Hempstead-Wright
    Chandler Riggs
    Daniel Huttlestone
    Charlie Plummer

Half of them haven't even been mentioned in this thread before

I was thinking of Hit-Girl too. She surely could fight.
    The problem is that Batman is a much more serious film than Kick-Ass.
    Ever since Nolan reinvented the character, the cinematic Batman's fault mode is dark and gritty. Every actor plays a Batman that has some level of darkness and grittiness.
    Actually they're all grounded versions too. Affleck played a sort of grounded Batman in a world where the fantastical happened to exist. He was also brooding, like Pattinson is, and like Bale was.

#965 Airwings, Feb 17, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  16. Invader Joker Registered

Teen Spider-Man has literal superpowers and Hit-Girl was from a comedy movie. Not remotely the same thing. In Hit-Girl the whole joke was about how absolutely ridiculous, insane and borderline abusive the idea of a teenage girl doing that was.

17. Airwings Waves of air

I'm sure a guy like Charlie Plummer would take some of the focus away from Pattinson.

That was an example. He won't get the role.
    With Plummer brought up again, an actor of his caliber would help a lot.
    Robin can be taken seriously.

18. Brotherhood Registered

I don't mean take away from Batman in terms of acting, I just mean I want to explore Batman and Bruce Wayne throughout this trilogy, and feel bringing in Robin could take away from that. I'd prefer to have a couple of films with just Batman and his rogues, and then start to delve into the family, especially given this is second year Batman.

I'm not saying Reeves should never bring Robin in, it'd be great, I'm just saying hold off for at least the next movie.

19. Airwings Waves of air

I commented on an earlier post from you where I went through this topic.

Would you want every new version of Batman to keep the focus on him, and Robin should be held off every time?
    We have had TWO previous incarnations of the Dark Knight where the sidekick was left out (the suit on display doesn't really count, because he's not even mentioned by Bruce or Alfred). And you want the same thing to be done here?

It could end up as a cycle. Reboot with a another actor every 10-15 years. And a story about a young Bats to keep Robin out of the picture. Every time!
    Yes, Affleck's take was a seasoned hero but they managed to get rid of Robin another way.

Why does Dick Grayson prevent any exploration of the main hero? Wouldn't having him there add something to Bruce Wayne and Bats, like another layer?

We don't need more of the same thing after Nolanverse, even if Reeves' world is different. We have already seen young Bruce on his way to become The Dark Knight and the whole Batman mythos explored in a trilogy where he worked alone in a grounded world.
    How much does Bruce need to be explored as a character? At this point it seems he's always going to be the brooding hero with demons, by default.
    Bale did it, Affleck did it and Pattinson is doing it.
    Perhaps you care more about seeing the actor doing a one-man show and showing his craft, instead of some interest for the fictional character? Could it be that it's the actor who shouldn't share any spotlight with a sidekick?
    I just wonder...

I got to think of someone else too. What about Luke David Blumm from the horror film Son?
    He's born the same year as Woody.
    It could speak in his favor that he's blond. Reeves would perhaps want to challenge us with his version.
    Imagine it!!! Somebody who doesn't look like Dick Grayson could end up wearing the classic Robin suit.

20. Brotherhood Registered

No, not at all. It's not about the actor @Airwings, I just feel considering where this Batman is at in his life, that it'd be kinda soon to be introducing a young partner in crime.

Just because something might happen in the future that would stop them from exploring Robin, thats no reason to rush to do it, especially if that particular version of Batman in this specific time in his life is not ready for him, because then it could just feel incredibly unauthentic to the narrative and the Bruce Wayne we're exploring and could end up as just Robin for the sake of Robin,

Again, I'm not saying don't do Robin, I'm just saying give this Batman at least one more movie, maybe the trilogy on his own. It's just as possible that this universe could be extremely successful and we'll go beyond the trilogy thats been talked about, meaning we can get more with Batman and eventually Robin.

Don't you think it'd be better anyway to wait? So that Rob's Bruce is a bit older, a bit more experienced, and has more to teach Robin because in the movie thats about to come out he's still learning everything. To go from that to then teaching a young boy how to do it in the very next film would just feel too soon I think.

21. Airwings Waves of air

You seem to confirm my theory.
    You defend youself, but you do that with stating the same thing I wrote.

Don't you understand what I'm trying to say here?

They could always reboot Batman and start over again with him beginning as a masked crime-fighter.
    They do a trilogy where he's too young to have his sidekick and tell a very good story.
    When Bruce is finally coming to the point where Robin would make sense, that's the end of that particular story arch, and..... REBOOT,
    Then begin the same character's journey in another trilogy.
    With another actor playing Batman, of course.
    They can just keep on doing that.forever, and always keep Grayson out of the picture.
    It's possible to have a whole bunch of actors, each of them starring in his own trilogy.

Pretty smart move, wouldn't you say, to always start again with a young Bruce and tell a story of the time BEFORE he could have met Grayson. You know, the 'year one' or 'year two' kind of thing.
    Robin will never appear in any of the trilogies then. Not ever!

The other solution to keep Boy Wonder away forever, is to give every Batman reboot a moody tone and dark story enough. Then the kid sidekick won't make sense within the world-building they've created.
    Each new take on Batman also need to fascinate the audience, making Bruce Wayne very interesting and getting us to think that it's best to focus only on him and his Dark Knight. We have to believe that Robin wouldn't fit that kind of world, whether its too grounded, too gritty, too violent etc We have to vocally express the opinion "No Robin!!
    Different reasons for leaving Grayson out is that he's going to take the edge of the film...
    or cheapen the quality of the story....
    or stealing important screen-time/focus, and character development, from Bruce (we would hate that)....
    or that the circus kid is too silly and/or campy...
    or that it's too unbelievable for a grounded Batman to bring a kid with him out on the streets...
    or some other similar reason.
    The danger here is that those opinions are being expressed by us, the audience. It will justify that the studio leaves Robin out every time. It could be something that Warner Bros have planned, and they lead us onto their path. When they do their different reboots of Batman, there won't be any room for Robin. It's not logical to having him there. We have to thank Joel Schumacher for that. After the 1997 disaster, the sidekick might be banished from ever appearing in a Batman reboot again. That's why Bruce should start his journey as a young crime-fighter.
    It needs a director who will fight for having Grayson introduced to break that.

Nolan did a trilogy without Grayson because the circus boy wouldn't have worked there. I think you agree with me on this.
    Then we have what Reeves is doing. It's going a bit of the same way, showing the early days of Batman.
    If we're ok with Reeves doing something similar as Nolan (and going even darker), the next Batman reboot after Reeves won't have a Robin either (for the same reasons), and yet the next one after that will follow the pattern.
    In short words, do a 'young Batman' trilogy. End the story arch. Reboot with another trilogy, another story arch, Repeat the 'young Batman' thing but with a different tone. Keep Robin away. Put a spell on the audience so that they don't want Grayson either, ateleast not before the story arch has been told. But then, that's the end of that take on Batman. His story is over.
    Reboot and repeat yet again.
    Some people will fall for this, not seeing the big picture.

Hope you see my point now :)

Hopefully, Pattinson might get his wish to have a Robin. That would break the cycle before it becomes a typical thing for every new Batman trilogy

#971 Airwings, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  22. Brotherhood Registered

@Airwings I've always understood your point, but your point is saying that concretely it will be rebooted when Reeves' trilogy is finished? But how do you that's gonna happen? How do you know after the third he won't decide to do more, bring in Robin, and you'll get exactly what you're after?

I hope you see my point now :)

23. Airwings Waves of air

I started to notice there might be someting going on when Reeves does what Nolan did. Which I personally don't think was needed to do again.
    There are several parallels:
    A young Bruce with demons. Grounded world. The character starting out as Batman. More realistic versions of classic villains. Talks about a trilogy. Reeves being something of an auteur director, like Nolan. A story and cinematic tone that don't match Robin.
    If it will be a complete story arch over the course of three films, which I very much suspect, would Pattinson or Reeves be interested in doing more? Wouldn't they be done with the character?
    Bale and Nolan moved on with their careers after doing a trilogy. That Batman had come to an end. The same could happen here.
    I can't be only one who have that thought cross the mind.

Now, shall we talk actors here in this casting thread? :)

#973 Airwings, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  24. Brotherhood Registered

Either way, who knows? Anything can happen.

Casting suggestion? Off the top of my head; Fionn Whitehead.

25. Airwings Waves of air

@Brotherhood
    Read my last post again. I've edited it and written more about WB... and then Joel Schumacher :)