Dick Grayson Casting Thread

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by DeGenerate10, Feb 24, 2014.

1. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

I could see Javon Walton as Dick. He's 15, did great work on Euphoria and he already has substantial fight training from his boxing career.

[​IMG]

antsman41, Airwings and Tubeofboom like this.
  2. Airwings Waves of air

Never heard about him but he appears to be suitable for the part. Also the right age (born 2006).
    Judging the google pics, he looks like he will bring a lot of attitude and edge to the role. Don't try to mess with this Robin! :up:

I thought I had listed every young actor possible, lol. But there's always some SHH poster who will find yet another name.

[​IMG]

#1002 Airwings, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    CaptainWagner likes this.
  3. Airwings Waves of air

Are there still people here who don't think it will be believable for Bruce to let a teenager fight crimes in the streets? Especially so in the very grounded Reeves-verse?
    I thought about this for a while. The actor could of course be in his early 20s if he still is youthful enough. But he can't be too old either. He can't really look his own age if he's 22 or older.
    I also think it has to be someone born this millennium, not in the 90s.

Let's take a look at actors born 2000-2001. It's a bunch of guys who have played a number of roles since they've started acting. They're quite different from each other.

Jared Gilmore
    Lino Facioli
    Griffin Gluck
    Joshua Bassett
    CJ Adams
    Jace Norman
    Ed Oxenbould
    Judah Lewis
    Arman Darbo
    Harvey Scrimshaw
    Tom Taylor
    Hayden Byerly
    Harry Gilby
    Sloane Morgan Siegel
    Aidan Langford
    Finn Ireland

These are the ones the two years have to offer. There's hardly any actor else born exactly then (but I'm sure you can find someone)
    One interesting case is an actor who appears to be just as old, but his birth year hasn't been revealed, is Conor Leach. Have you seen him before?
    The only thing I could find related to his age is a page where it's stated he's “21 years old”.

There are also people who want the sidekick to be played by an actual teen, or even a child. We all have different opinions.
    There are obviously many actors that are clearly younger than those in the list above.
    I decided to mention out the ones that also seem to have a secret birth date. All of them are of various ages. The only sharing point is that they are somewhere in their teen years.
    So with them, Dick Grayson would be played by a teen, at least. And because they haven't hit 20 yet, they may be able to hold the role for more than one film.

Reece Yates, Embry Johnson, Tobin Cleary, Elliott Rose, Sawyer Jones, Jesse Downs,
    Arlo Hajdu, Owen Myre, Will Angarola, Milo Herschlag, Griff Giacchino, Luke Doyle

(there are more, I'll post them in a while...)

#1003 Airwings, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  4. Airwings Waves of air

(the list continues...)

There are so many of them. They appear to be a bunch of nobodies. It's just a block of text with a lot of names written.
    But give them a chance! Here are the so-called "unknowns" that some people suggest (and want) for the role :)
    It will be a real challenge to NOT find any suitable Robin here. Every kind of look and personality is represented.

You could also try to come up the suggestions of your own, and in that case go find actors who haven't been mentioned here before.

Now, why this particular list? It's the guys who are secretive about their age. I group them together as a collective.

I'll try first
    Adrien Lyon seems fun-loving and bright in that family film about a clown. Maybe that's what's needed in this dark universe. The character should be different from Batman.
    Among the others, I think perhaps Lucian-River, Misha, Cunliffe, Lederer and Kimmel are the strongest choices.

Harvey Weedon, Tommy Rodger, Adam Michael Jordan, Marc Puiggener, Ty Perham,
    Jordan Poole, Xavier Loyer, Avery Winters-Anthony, Lucian-River Chauhan, Kaden Hinkle,
    Jude Manley, Evan Assante, Misha Handley, Kyler Charles Beck, Phoenix Wilson,
    Caleb Liban, Jackson Gann, Spencer Jording, Pierson Salvador, Tristan Riggs,
    Huck Whittle, Oliver Cunliffe, Jonathan Matthew Wilson, Jack Dullnig, Bryce Lederer,
    Wesley Kimmel, Adrien Lyon, Owen Bruemmer, Jordan Isaiah White, Landon Edwards,
    Brady Jenness, Jordan Kronis, Marko Vujicic

#1004 Airwings, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  5. Airwings Waves of air

When coming up with guys who can play Dick Grayson, it's totally fine to want a more mature version in terms of age.
    My personal opnion though, is that we can't suggest those born 1991, 1995 or 1997. It's too late for them. The oldest we can get is the guys below.
    I guess Conor Leach also belong on that list.

Oxenbould is one of the more prominent ones here. He's grown into a decent actor. But he's not a Robin type.
    I see Facioli, Gluck, Darbo (and perhaps Langford) as the only ones who can take on the character. The rest have either become too adult-looking, or were never suitable in the first place.
    However, there's a chance for Lewis to be a wild card in the mix. Maybe he can work as a more untraditional Grayson?

But in case we want someone younger, an actual teen for a teenage Robin, there's these younger guys:
    Lautox came up with Rose as a candidate. Good suggestion that stands out as the most Grayson esque (along with Cleary and Myre)

I also want to thank Eddie Dean for mentioning Giacchino for the sidekick. I will check out Licorice Pizza sometimes later :)

#1005 Airwings, Apr 12, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  6. Airwings Waves of air

Actors that turn 20 during this year are:
    Levi Miller, Milo Parker, Lewis MacDougall, Graham Verchere,
    Michael Barbieri, Finn Wolfhard, Kyle Catlett, Asher Angel,
    Jonah Beres, Luke Colombero, Robert Daniel Sloan, Cameron Le Roy, Isaac Kragten

All experienced ones with years in the business. These have one last chance to be Dick Grayson because they're all about to grow out of the role.
    Warner Brothers have to move fast and cast one of them for the Batman sequel NOW.
    I think that more than half of them would work very well. Levi isn't the only suitable from the list despite being the only one (among them) who seems to be wanted by people here.

Another way is to go younger and get a 15 year old who can play the sidekick atleast once before he (the actor) leaves his teen years behind.
    Here are a bunch of choices who are born 2007.

Charlie Shotwell
    Justin Korovkin
    Jack Veal
    Mason Thames
    Will Tilston
    Andrew Diaz
    August Maturo
    Rueby Wood
    Billy Barratt
    Braxton Alexander
    Lyon Daniels
    Malachi Barton

Can't really pick one favorite. Maybe there are only 2-3 among them who don't fit the character?
    You may only think of them as typical child/teen actors, no difference at all, but I can promise you that they aren't cast in the same mold.
    Look them up and the stuff they've done. Maybe you'll be surprised.

7. Airwings Waves of air

Do you think Matt Reeves is going to look for a Kodi Smit-McPhee type of actor?
    They've worked together twice. Maybe he's going to cast someone similar?

Here's a list of actors. They're around 18-19 and have been in the business for some time but could still be able to play Boy Wonder in an upcoming sequel.

Jaeden Martell
    Louis Partridge
    Theo Taplitz
    Aidan Gallagher
    Emjay Anthony
    Neel Sethi
    Jackson A Dunn
    Max Charles
    Jack Dylan Grazer
    Cole Springer
    Griffin Kane
    Dominic Boyle
    Flynn Allen
    Ivan Mallon
    Marcel Ruiz

Some choice may stink, but let's focus on a good one.
    Ruiz did a good job in the film Breakthrough. He's obviously a bit older now, but not 20 yet though. Maybe he's suitable for Grayson?

upload_2022-4-24_13-28-54.jpeg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1007 Airwings, Apr 24, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    CaptainWagner and Lautox like this.
  8. Airwings Waves of air

Pattinson said Robin should be 13 years old. What could that really mean in terms of casting?
    Let's look at the actors born 2008-09. Those are, age-wise, the ones Pattinson would want to play Batman's sidekick.
    Some of them are suitable for the part, others not so much.
    There are some distinctly different personalities listed. All of them playing their own type of character in films, or on television.

Jackson Robert Scott
    Walter Scobell
    Christopher Convery & Christian Convery
    Ambrosio De Luca
    Kaan Guldur
    Woody Norman
    Luke David Blumm
    Mystic Inscho
    Iain Armitage
    Adam Greaves-Neal
    Bradley Bundlie
    Miles Emmons
    Jett Klyne

Several good ones here. I'll point out some of them
    In terms of look, the older Convery cousin may be one of the better fits (on the list) if the character is cast this young.

There's also a few more that stick out:
    *J.R Scott who can switch between playing a disturbed horror kid and a more normal one. This will make him be in tune with the dark Reeves-verse.

*Norman, which was suggested by @codesveburn (I hope to see the C'Mon film soon)

*Klyne, because actors can do both DC and Marvel at the same time! Look at Keaton!

*Scobell, who went directly from Adam Project to being cast as the new Percy Jackson. He's starting to get high-profile roles. Yes, we've seen this before, an actor comes "from nowhere" and suddenly gets cast in 3-4 other big projects. Will this lead to him being Dick Grayson in The Batman 2?

#1008 Airwings, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  9. shauner111 Registered

Bruh :funny:

Somebody answer this poor lad. He’s posted the last 7 posts by his lonesome haha.

Airwings likes this.
  10. Lautox Johnny Slick

my man is killing it with the robin casting

Airwings likes this.
  11. WayneMB Registered

imagine all these posts and somehow robin won't even appear in this trilogy/tetralogy :funny:

12. shauner111 Registered

He probably won’t lol

WayneMB likes this.
  13. Airwings Waves of air

The topic doesn't interest people. Who cares about a possible actor for the sidekick, and who cares at all about Grayson/Robin?
    Batman (and Bruce) is always the one that different directors put their BIG focus on and build their stories around: Nolan, Snyder, and seemingly Reeves too.
    Until proven otherwise, Robin only belongs in the comic books and in animation. Not on the big screen.
    The only semi-sucessful live action adaption so far, has been on television. That was 56 years ago.
    (Titans doesn't count because it's a mess in terms of the writing, but atleast it made Robin work visually in a more gritty world).

Schumacher once proved how awful it can be having the character present, if he's not done right. It made everybody else scared of even going there.
    Can Robin ever be introduced again?
    All it takes is a director that dares to go for a different approach than the standard one for Batman. But the stakes are high. They must get Grayson right this time, which includes the choice of actor, or else it will leave a very sour taste.
    I can't affect the script or the characterization, unfortunately. The only thing I can do is to sum up all the possible actors that have (somewhat) the right age for Grayson. Has it ever been as many as there are now?

#1013 Airwings, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  14. shauner111 Registered

I do believe there’s hope for you here because Reeves said he’s willing to try with Robin. Doesn’t mean it’ll happen. Maybe he tries and it just doesn’t work while he’s writing. But there is more of a chance with this guy than any other director.

BMW 224 likes this.
  15. antsman41 Unseen Arkham Prisoner

Dick bringing in even more heart to Pattinson's Batman would be cute and amazing.

Airwings likes this.
  16. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

My buddies in college went to school with the kid who inspired 'Breakthrough.' Apparently he was an *** in real life. That's the only reference I have for the movie. :funny:
    Schumacher's Robin worked for the movie Schumacher was making. It was exactly the portrayal he wanted. It's not more cheesy or out of line than anyone else in those movies. People coming away from them declaring "Robin can't work in a serious live-action movie" are making the same mistake that has ruined so many great adaptations. There are plenty of grounded Robin stories already in the comics. I don't get why people act like he's so hard to adapt.

17. Airwings Waves of air

:funny: :funny: :funny:

(as a side note, I prefer the word quadrilogy)
    Perhaps he won't. But what makes you think so?
    Is the Reeves-verse too dark for him?

18. Airwings Waves of air

It would widen that universe in a sense, I'll guess. Bruce won't be as quite as one-dimensional and brooding all the time.

Oh, for about a second I thought you meant the actor who played him, not the real person :oldrazz:

It was a lot going on back then, studio pressure and everything.
    Many people know that Schumacher was capable of doing more serious stuff ouside of Batman. That makes it even sadder so see all the camp that was put in those films.
    The Schumacher version of Robin was off-putting to other directors. Nobody did really want to use the character again. That's why he's abscent from every new version, and that's why people say it can't be a serious Bat film if the sidekick is there. So in a way, Schumacher did something bad for the Boy Wonder.
    Didn't he appologize for his Batman films later on?
    Atleast Clooney did that, for playing Bruce (I think he said he was sorry).
    What I do know is that Tommy Lee Jones hated working with Jim Carrey.
    When looking back, those two films shouldn't have happened at all. However, they did and we'll have to accept that they were made.

Now if we try to go against the common view regarding the Boy Wonder character, could he actually have worked in a serious world like Nolanverse?
    If the answer is no, then he naysayers are right. It will make it true that there's no way for Robin to be written into the plot next to Bale and still keep a (somewhat) similar tone.

I look forward to the day when it's proven that Robin can work as a more serious character than before, and that on the big screen.

#1018 Airwings, Apr 27, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  19. blaberskite Registered

Robin can totally work in live action, is the concept silly, of course, but it could be worked into the story if they really wanted to.

Also it's already been proven that it can work and look good on screen, kick ass, big daddy and hit girl are basically batman 66 but played straight with ultra violence. Take out the killing aspect and it could totally work.

The problem comes with how insane the idea is that batman puts a teenager in harms way. My view would be that you introduce Robin, but he starts as a an oracle type figure, surveillance and tech, and as he becomes old enough and starts to actually face the bad guys he goes straight to being nightwing after he's been trained by Bruce and is an adult.

Airwings likes this.
  20. shauner111 Registered

If we don’t see it, I don’t think the reasoning behind that decision will be the classic “it’s too dark for him”. It’ll likely be because Reeves doesn’t want to lose the Bruce/Batman focus. Yes you can still do that while Grayson comes into his life. But you would be taking focus off of Bruce Wayne no matter how you look at it. Focus off of the Gordon/Batman relationship too. You have to sacrifice a bit. Maybe more than a bit. A bit too much for Matt Reeves maybe? Time will tell.

21. Airwings Waves of air

If he said he's willing to try, it'll likely happen.
    The way I see it is, if he tries and early on sees that he doesn't make it work, will be because he approached the idea in a wrong way. One solution would be to scrap his first ideas and start over.
    But then again, Warner Bros will require a deadline for the finished script. Reeves won't have unlimited time for the writing process.

That's a tiresome excuse for not introducing Robin in every new incarnation of Batman.
    Yes we know that one heroic character will benefit from not sharing his duties and screentime with another one. Even the Schumacher films could have fleshed out the Batman character more if he was alone.
    We've had a great relationship between Bruce and Gordon in Nolan's films. It was developped over the course of three films. The same with Bruce/Alfred. It wasn't just any kind of superhero films, it was a true highlight in the genre (despite people's mixed opinions about the third film).
    We really don't need to see the same. Doesn't matter if the characters are written in a different way, and other actors are playing them, It's still the same cop and the same butler as in the comic books.
    Why not Bruce/Grayson this time? Is really the dynamics of the Dynamic Duo (no pun) less interesting to explore?
    You talk about sacrificing something. Well, isn't the relationship between Batman and his well-known sidekick being sacrificed everytime there's a new Batman, and Robin isn't even a part of the story?

Bring in the young hero, I say. People have to deal with Robin being there.

#1021 Airwings, Apr 27, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  22. shauner111 Registered

Yeah but for me? Just personal preference here but I’d rather more Batman and Gordon than Batman and Robin.

23. Lautox Johnny Slick

It would be cool to see Robin but for my taste it would kind of feel like a drag. I mean, Batman once again teaching the boy that vengeance isn't the answer because his parents died blah blah. I think we are ready to see more Batman and Gordon pairing up to solve crimes and be that Holmes and Watson. Why abandon that concept when it worked so well in the first. But I could be wrong. If Reeves wants to include him I would be excited to see because I trust the man, but if it isn't happenning I wouldn't be losing any sleep.

24. shauner111 Registered

It’s basically going to be the same arc for Dick that Bruce had in The Batman. Only difference being?? Dick is even younger and Bruce makes some attempt at being a father. Maybe it’s because I don’t have kids and don’t really plan to but...I just don’t care to see that.

Me trusting Reeves goes without saying at this point. He’ll do cool **** with characters that I flat out dislike (Hush, Mad Hatter, Vicki Vale) or with characters that make me feel...lukewarm? Like Robin. But during the anticipation era, the only thing on me mind is Gordon/Batman working together like real partners. I’m willing to hold off on Jim becoming Commissioner if it means more of Gordon/Bats on the streets together every night. I like detective noir stories and Robin’s inclusion turns it into a superhero team up adventure more than the former.

All of my favourite stories are with Batman working alone. I’d love for these movies to reflect those stories, since the sidekick stuff doesn’t interest me.

Lautox likes this.
  25. Airwings Waves of air

Of course he can work if he gets the right script treatment.

I wouldn't say Robin is silly per se. The whole thing will be what the writers want him to be.
    Do they only see him as silly? Then he will be, and it will affect the casting as well. It won't be the best actor for the Robin character, but just one who's good at acting silly or annoying.
    Perhaps Robin should rather be left out then, or the studio could always hire new writers.

You suggestion about Grayson helping Batman in a new way could work.
    Personally I don't want him to move on to becoming Nightwing right away. He needs to don the Robin suit at one point, if only for 2-3 scenes. That's part of his character arch. It just can't be left out.

That's fine. :)
    You don't care about Robin enough to wanna see him in a film. Whenever they introduce him, it will change the dynamics, and side characters like Gordon and Alfred will either have slightly less to do, or having to deal with Batman having his young sidekick.
    And you wouldn't want that for Reeves-verse.
    Probably not in a future reboot either because it will be the same thing then. It starts out with Bruce's journey before the kid comes along in a sequel. Grayson is always going to take some focus away from Bats and the others, no matter what director who helms the films. The sidekick character is not interesting enough to justify him being there.
    It's ok to not want to have Robin in a Batman film, perhaps not any Batman film. Just be honest about your opinion :)