Dick Grayson Casting Thread

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by DeGenerate10, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Brotherhood Registered

It's definitely possible, but I don't think you should take the similarities too far, Reeves is also his own man and is doing very different things to Nolan and is certainly more comic book accurate which is exciting. And again, its just as possible that they'll have an idea for more stories and do more. Or Robin could get his own HBO Max spin-off. Literally anything can happen going forward. Anything. Don't let the past worry you too much. It's an exciting time to be a Batman fan.

The Lazarus Pit likes this.
  2. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

Nolan’s “Robin” was a slap in the face. Nolan didn’t need to create a new character, it should’ve just been Grayson.

Airwings likes this.
  3. Airwings Waves of air

Perhaps, but the danger lights are going on here. I mean, why should an actor like Pattinson continuing doing Batman films forever. There will be a lot of other interesting projects that he will feel drawn to.

I also what to go back to my previous long post and re-use something here.

This current take on Batman fascinates the audience, making Bruce Wayne very interesting and getting us to think that it's best to focus only on him and his Dark Knight. That could be the whole purpose.
    We need to believe that Robin wouldn't fit Reeves world,
    Heck, some people even claim that the sidekick would be taking important screen-time off Bats, we can't allow that right? Because this Bruce is so amazingly interesting and mesmerizing.
    The thing is that Warner Bros might WANT us to think like that. It justifies the lack of Dick Grayson in Reeves trilogy as much as it did back during Nolanverse.
    The question is if this is now a thing that the studio is planning to do with their new cinematic Batmen. When they do their different reboots of Batman, there won't be any room for Robin. It's not logical to having him there. We have to thank Joel Schumacher for that. After the 1997 disaster, the sidekick might be banished from ever appearing in a Batman reboot again. That's why Bruce should start his journey as a young crime-fighter. Or as a seasoned one, but with a dead Robin (Affleck).

And then it's the age thing too, which I've already gone through.

The studio have put a spell on us to not be wanting a Robin for a Batman before a trilogy is completed. Your opinion is just that, right?
    But when will that be?
    Let us have a sequel in 2025. But when will the third film be out? Somewhere in 2028-29?
    If Reeves is doing more after that, we'll be at 2031-32 BEFORE his Batman is going to get his sidekick.
    That could mean the actor who's going to be Dick Grayson is currently a toddler. Because Pattinson wants the character to be 13.

EDIT: Keaton doesn't count here because he's not a new Batman. Apparently WB will allow him to have a Robin. Because he's already done his solo journey.

Interesting!
    Do you mean you think he'll be a good choice for Robin exactly by now, when the two of us are discussing the matter?

There's NO WAY he will be cast in the decade that comes after the current 2020s.
    It's not going to be a 30+ actor as Boy Wonder in 2031. Forget it!

I can go as far as suggesting the youngest actor of them all in the industry today, Asher Miles Fallica. He's only 8 years old but even HE would be too old when it's time to introduce Grayson, according to your wish "a trilogy before the sidekick".
    Because Pattinson wants the character to be 13, you know

Hm, maybe it's not a bad after all, idea to get Robin in the sequel in 2025 instead? How about that?

#978 Airwings, Feb 19, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  4. Airwings Waves of air

It was!!!

Affleck's Robin already being killed off was also a little slap in the face.

5. Lautox Johnny Slick

Sunny Suljic?

Airwings likes this.
  6. Airwings Waves of air

@Brotherhood
    I'm not against someone as close to as old as Fionn Whitehead. Not if it there's an actor who's youthful enough. Because everyone ages differently.
    But then the actor in question has to play the role as soon as possible, before his actual age catches up on him.

You said you want Dick Grayson to be put on hold and not appear in the trilogy but rather in a possible fourth film. That will happen 10 years from today, or so.
    I have trouble understanding how you can suggest someone born 1997 if you think Robin shouldn't be introduced in the Reeves films during our current decade.. Are you aware of how old Fionn is going to be after the trilogy is finished?
    I wonder why he's your choice for the character, and if you think he's the most suitable actor.
    Don't you know of any younger guys than him? If you do, are they all bad candidates for Grayson?

I want to get some insight in your way of thinking here because this is confusing. :)

7. Brotherhood Registered

Honestly @Airwings, first name that came into my head.

8. Airwings Waves of air

Ok, not that bad of a choice, to be honest.

But he can't be the Boy Wonder if you get want you want (meaning Batman not getting his sidekick before the 2030s)? You know that, right?

9. Brotherhood Registered

Oh for sure, I'd have to look into it more to consider a Robin who appears later, as obviously I'm not as aware of actors of that younger age. Its why you see a lot of fan casting for Robin being the most well known young actors.

Airwings likes this.
  10. Airwings Waves of air

Great that you suggested him. You've gone beyond the usual few actors that people here are suggesting all the time. We need someone like you, Lautox!
    I 've mentioned Sunny in this thread before but no response, neither positive or negative.

I think the actor could do well in the role. I have to ask... what made you think of him?

[​IMG]

Lautox and The Vafrous like this.
  11. Airwings Waves of air

I think you could come up with suggestions for Grayson :)

But, as you want the character to wait for a long time, the actor will have to be more than ten years younger than Fionn. It limits the choices very much. I'll give it a try.
    Have you seen the Belfast film? I'd plan to do that when comes to my country.
    Could the lead, Jude Hill, be suitable for Batman's sidekick? I've heard that he's praised for his performance. Is it possible to go from a European family drama, shot in black and white, to an American cbm with superheroes? Will he still be as good?

Another young Irish one is James Quinn Markey (The hole in the ground).
    Since I'm bringing up horror films, how about Antlers? There's several child actors in the cast.

#986 Airwings, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    Lautox likes this.
  12. Lautox Johnny Slick

Thanks! I thought of him because I saw Killing of a Sacred Deer a while ago and he had great chemistry with Colin and Barry. Also he is an actor who can play serious in dark tone films and be more light hearted in family friendly films like the christmas one he appeared on and that is basically Robin. Elliot Rose of the northman is a good choice also

#987 Lautox, Feb 26, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    Airwings likes this.
  13. Airwings Waves of air

He has range. I've seen in him Mid90s and a couple of young adult adventure films. Interesting that he first did serious roles and then moved to lighter, more adventurous stuff..

Elliot Rose is in Robert Eggers' Northman yes but it hasn't finished post-production stage.
    It's good to be ahead of things!!! :up:
    I add a photo of him below. It looks like he could fit Grayson.

Btw, how about Tobin Cleary for the role? He's another one of these child actors popping up everywhere.

upload_2022-2-27_12-3-4.jpeg

Lautox likes this.
  14. Airwings Waves of air

"The Big Robin Actor You Likely Missed Early In The Batman"
    https://www.looper.com/787554/the-big-robin-actor-you-likely-missed-early-in-the-batman/

Not someone I want to see. It would feel really cheap if they used him for Dick Grayson.
    I don't think Jay Lycurgo is someone Reeves would make his Robin either.
    But what actor do you think he will go for?
    Looking back at his previous work can reveal something. He's worked with Kodi Smit-McPhee two times.
    I think I'm on the right track here. If Reeves had made his Batman film back in 2014, the sidekick would definately have been played by Kodi.

Obvisously, it's too late for that. The same likely goes for Fionn Whitehead.
    We have to go younger.
    Jared Gilmore is a suggestion I've seen elsewhere. I doubt he'll be a good choice.
    If people his age are considered, then I suspect Lino Facioli is going to work better. It's a feeling I have.

There's also the left-field choice Charlie Plummer who's good at playing troubled youth. Unfortunately, time is running out for him when it comes to being a possible Boy Wonder.

#989 Airwings, Mar 6, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  15. Airwings Waves of air

With Robin candidates now popping up in another thread, I'll try again here.

There's a risk that Matt Reeves thinks of Dick Grayson as a silly character and wants to point that out in a sequel.
    Will he go as far to prove that point as to give the role to Ferdia Shaw from the live action Artemis Fowl adaption by Kenneth Branagh (a film that seems to be universally disliked)?

If not, maybe Arlo Hajdu (Antlers) or Will Angarola (Licorice Pizza) could be considered?

16. Airwings Waves of air

What about

Hayden Byerly (The Fosters)
    Logan Allen (Bernie The Dolphin 1 and 2)
    Cole Springer (The Good Wolf)
    Luke Doyle (The Song of Names)

17. VonRomberg Registered

I doubt Reeves would use a character who he thinks is silly and use their inclusion as nothing more than an opportunity to snicker at their silliness.

Dick Grayson’s story being a version of Bruce’s but that ends better is a fairly compelling narrative aspect, if Reeves were to do it I’m sure he’d do it well.

Airwings likes this.
  18. Airwings Waves of air

That would not be a good idea, making sort a parody of the character but in a grounded world.

The casting is important. It must be the right guy.
    But who's to say his previous work can't have been in a family film? Why does the actor need experience in playing edgy roles?

VonRomberg likes this.
  19. Airwings Waves of air

Here's a whole list of guys. I think you have seen some of their work.
    I don't support all of them. I just want to bring some awareness to these actors.
    Is there a Dick Grayson among them?

It starts with Griffin Kane who's born 2003.

Then the following...
    Lucas Bond (Summerland)
    Dominic Boyle (A Monster Calls)
    Harvey Weedon (The Alienist)
    Tommy Rodger (Goodbye Christopher Robin)
    Lincoln Jolly (Pen15)
    Jonah Beres (Strange Nature)
    Adam Michael Jordan (A Child’s Voice)
    Marc Puiggener (Black Hollow Cage)
    Luke Colombero (The Devide)
    Ty Perham (West of Sunshine)
    Jordan Poole (Birthmarked)
    Xavier Loyer (Allure)
    Avery Winters-Anthony (Wildhood)
    Jack Fulton (The Kindness of Strangers)
    Lucian-River Chauhan (Encounter)
    Ricardo Ortiz (Gabby Duran & The Unsittables)
    Mystic Inscho (The Mysterious Benedict Society)
    Flynn Allen (The Last Boy)
    Kaden Hinkle (A Feral World)

20. Airwings Waves of air

I think I will soon come up with one actor suggestion that you people would like. Not everyone can be a bad choice

Here are more candidates.
    (part 1/2)

Walker Scobell (The Adam Project)
    Jude Manley (The Adventure of A.R.I.: My Robot Friend)
    Evan Assante (Dinosaur World)
    Luca Luhan (Danger Force)
    Misha Handley (The Song of Names)
    Kyler Charles Beck (The Adventures of Jurassic Pet)
    Phoenix Wilson (Wild Indian)
    Bradley Bundlie (Deviant Love)
    Caleb Liban (A Feral World)
    Jackson Gann (The Alienist)
    Will Tilston (Bridgerton)
    Max Fincham (Invasion)
    Callum Booth-Ford (Peaky Blinders)
    Harry Gilby (The Last Kingdom)
    Spencer Jording (Firstness)
    Braxton Alexander (The Black Phone)
    Lyon Daniels (We Can Be Heroes)
    Brady Jenness (The Seventh Day)
    Sloane Morgan Siegel (Portal Runner)

#995 Airwings, Apr 3, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  21. DarkKnight88 Registered

As long as he keeps Robin a kid. Not a teenager. Not a man. A kid. Something never before seen seriously in a live-action comic book movie (Kick-Ass was more parody). That would definitely differentiate it from any Batman movie right there or, really any superhero movie.

22. Airwings Waves of air

It's going to be really difficult to grant your wish. Someone who's a kid now will have hit 13 before he gets the role.
    Also, there aren't many actual kids in Hollywood. If you saw any of those in a film last year, he's almost two years older by now.

I prefer a teen for Robin. It will be best, imo.
    By that I mean a teenage character. Someone in his early 20s can play the role if he's one of those who looks young enough. Like Ralph Macchio used to do.

Btw, here's 2/2 of my last new suggestions. There are actors of various ages. Do you think it is a Grayson there?

Pierson Salvador (Better Nate Than Ever)
    Andrew Diaz (We Can Be Heroes)
    Tristan Riggs (The Seventh Day)
    Miles Emmons (Mercy Black)
    Huck Whittle (Jessie and the Elf Boy)
    Oliver Cunliffe (Silverpoint)
    Nathanael Saleh (The Letter for the King)
    August Maturo (Slapface)
    Rueby Wood (Better Nate Than Ever)
    Iain Armitage (Young Sheldon)
    Nathan Blair (We Can Be Heroes)
    Ivan Mallon (Pen15)
    Jonathan Matthew Wilson (A Child’s Voice)
    Billy Barratt (The Other Me)
    Aidan Langford (Remnants of the Fallen)
    Jack Dullnig (The Good Wolf)
    Taj Cross (Young Rock)
    Bryce Lederer (Rapture in Blue)
    Wesley Kimmel (The Hater)
    Adrien Lyon (The Boy, the Dog and the Clown)
    Owen Bruemmer (Aquaslash)
    Jordan Isaiah White (The Black Phone)
    Conor Leach (Preacher)
    Sasha Knight (Cowboys)
    Landon Edwards (Lost Child)
    Jett Klyne & Julian Hilliard (both from Wandavision)

23. Airwings Waves of air

What about these? Do they look like possible Robins?

Adam Greaves-Neal (The Young Messiah)
    Finn Ireland (Measure For Measure)
    Maxwell Jenkins (Lost in Space)
    Teo Briones (Chucky TV series)
    Malachi Barton (Under Wraps)
    Dylan Kingwell (The 100)
    Robert Daniel Sloan (Sinister 2)
    Kenta Asars (Far Away Places)

24. BMW 224 Symbol of Vengeance becomes Symbol of Hope

How does everyone feel about a Black Actor being cast for Dick Grayson ?

25. Airwings Waves of air

Depends on who it will be. The same goes for white actors. Some are fit for a part, others not.
    But if they get a black actor for Robin, a character who's always been white, the pressure to get just the right guy will be higher. Warner Bros can't just cast a young actor of color who's popular at the moment and hope it will make the sidekick cool. No, it needs to be the right actor, even if it's an unknown or semi-known.

Have you any particular one in mind, BMW 224?