World Did anyone else say Spiderman - The New Animated Series?

^Maybe for teenagers but not really mature, it had more violence and innuendo but intentionally avoided having old characters, Aunt May just a photo.

It has the guy voiced by Stan Lee, and J. Jonah Jameson.

This show might have some of the best Spider-Man dialogue in animation, and it doesn't feel like anything Tobey Spidey would say on film at all, but I do believe I could hear his game counterpart speak dialogue like this.

Shayeen: "A nice girl like you?"
Spider-Man: "No, clearly you're not."

Electro: "Stay away from Sally"
Spider-Man: "Yeah, nice try. That's what I came here to tell you."

Peter: "I would like to make an anonymous call"
Police call center:" Give us your name and address"
Peter: "If I did it wouldn't be anonymous"

Yeah, this show is pretty overlooked and underrated. People often give it a bad rap because they can't get past how it looks but I love the early 2000s cel-shaded CGI. I love Mainframe Entertainment, love ReBoot and all kinds of stuff like that in general. Plus the soundtrack by British DJs Digweed/Muir is so unique for a superhero thing and it all comes together for such good vibes.

It really sings in the night scenes and the whole neon-noir aesthetic really shines through especially in those parts, Spidey's world feels slickly cool and simultaneously laced with danger. Having the leniency to portray less sugar-coated consequence to the actions and the weight of Peter's responsibilities being front and center is still refreshing to me. The character dynamics are also on point, I think it's the friendship with Peter/MJ/Harry with them just feeling pretty down to earth hanging out with each other feels pretty natural and easy to watch. This show feels very Ultimate to me, like maybe if we saw those characters a few years older in the comics. Mixed with the SM1 movie bits here and there and it's such a unique blend.

Also love NPH's Spidey, he probably does the best distinction between Peter and Spidey I've heard anyone do. Those two sides are very distinct here with Peter being a bit more timid and quiet, with Spidey being deeper and confident- it's one of the rare times where I can really buy the people close to him not recognizing the voice. Also was a bit bummed they had him do something different with his approach for the Shattered Dimensions game.

Shame the show isn't that well-remembered. I feel like if it got 1 more season it at least wouldn't be a blip on the radar. I think with the finale it was just hitting its stride and opening itself up to even better stories. We just wouldn't see a Spidey thing like this today again and I'm really glad we at least have the episodes we do have. I see there's a group of fans out there working on their own season 2, and it's nice to see that kind of passion for this show given its more on the niche side.

I rewatch this show a lot, most days it's hard for me to choose a favorite Spidey show but I pretty much love this one, Spectacular, the 90s show, and Unlimited all pretty equally these days. Not really a fan of the last 2 cartoons and I've sat through all of their episodes. By no means is this perfect but it's got a unique charm to it trying to do things edgier and is a unique product of its time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"