Did anyone see 1989's movie in theaters?

Yeah, I loved that and the Diet Coke commercial. :word:

When the prologue for TDKR was coming out, I asked if people were going to wear anything to the movie. I said I was going to wear a Warner Bros ball cap, cause you can't watch a Warner Bros movie, without wearing a Warner Bros ball cap. I got replies like, "nah, I'm gonna wear a TDK-Joker shirt, though".

Hehe:woot:

When the prologue for TDKR was coming out, I asked if people were going to wear anything to the movie. I said I was going to wear a Warner Bros ball cap, cause you can't watch a Warner Bros movie, without wearing a Warner Bros ball cap.

Quite honestly the best post I've read on this forum. Well done :)

Saw it on a Saturday and I remember me and my family splitting up to find seats since it was so packed but i loved every minute of it after months of hype and magazine articles to watching the TV special The Making Of A Hero it was incredible.

At the time I was confused to the Joker falling to his death, at first I really did believe that DC comics would kill off Joker in the comics.

I remember it just like it was yesterday. Dad barely made it halfway through before he started falling asleep. He snored loudly, so I had to keep poking him and kicking his foot to keep him from completely passing out. He was working lots of overtime back in those days. I was slightly embarrassed until I realized that there were several other people around us who were either sleeping, or looked very bored and/or tired.

As for me, I was a little kid who had been following the hype and rumors for months. This was a major event for me. In the end, I didn't want to admit that I was not completely happy with the film. After all, I'd already told all my friends that it was going to be The Best Thing Ever. Looking back now, the hype surrounding the movie was all much more exciting and fun than the actual movie.

As for me, I was a little kid who had been following the hype and rumors for months. This was a major event for me. In the end, I didn't want to admit that I was not completely happy with the film. After all, I'd already told all my friends that it was going to be The Best Thing Ever. Looking back now, the hype surrounding the movie was all much more exciting and fun than the actual movie.
I was thinking that way too, mostly too much of Joker screentime and not enough of Batman made it hard for me to fully like but didn't care to admit to other people.

I know that many others felt the same way especially for those unfamiliar with Michael Keaton such was the case when living in Ecuador at the time I don't think he made a lasting impression like Superman with Chirstopher Reeve.

I think I'm gonna do some Joker screen time for B89, and see just how much more he had compared to Batman.

I dont agree that Keaton didnt make a lasting impression. If he didnt, he wouldnt be still so popular as Batman today, he still wouldnt be so praised today and expensive and popular companies like Sideshow and Hottoys wouldnt be making his figures over 20 years later

No little roles, just little actors. Keaton didn't need more screentime.

I was thinking that way too, mostly too much of Joker screentime and not enough of Batman made it hard for me to fully like but didn't care to admit to other people.

I know that many others felt the same way especially for those unfamiliar with Michael Keaton such was the case when living in Ecuador at the time I don't think he made a lasting impression like Superman with Chirstopher Reeve.
The thing that makes Keaton different than Reeve, is that Keaton left after two movies (wisely so, but still).

In the states at least, Reeve is considered THE Superman, whereas Batman is known for having a revolving door of actors and directors. Not to mention, Adam West's fame is much more overshadowing than George Reeves'.

At the time B89/BR were new, however, Keaton very much WAS Batman in the public consciousness. You can tell from the bevy of references and appearances in the media at the time. Even Tiny Toons was referencing Keaton as Batman.

No little roles, just little actors. Keaton didn't need more screentime.
Y'know, I was watching B89 the other day, and I couldn't help but notice just how good Keaton's performance was in the film. Its very evident in the scene where Alfred tries to convince Bruce to continue his relationship with Vickie ("maybe you should marry her").

His acting was simply pitch perfect. It was extremely subtle, but the way in which he tries to brush Alfred off, and even distract his own mind by dwelling on the Joker and trying to convince himself he "doesn't have time for that now" is extremely accurate to how real people with emotional repression and trauam would react.

I still have a beat up officiak movie magazine sans covers in a box somewhere. That magazine was also my first exposure to panels from Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns.

Alright, I just timed The Joker in B89, and it's pretty interesting. I'm not going to get as in depth the same way I did in the Bat-screen time, but The Joker has 29:48 of screen time, compared to Batman's 26:51. Yes, he had more screen time, but not nearly as much as people exaggerate. About 3 min, not 10-15 min like people act.....

I actually think that The Joker in TDK has much more screen time than Batman. I'll actually time that later, but I think it's true, due to the fact that he's The Joker from square one, whereas in B89, there was a transformation taking place.

Last edited:
ah.. the era before the internet spoiled everything.. you could go into a new movie 'cold'.. lol..

Y'know, I was watching B89 the other day, and I couldn't help but notice just how good Keaton's performance was in the film. Its very evident in the scene where Alfred tries to convince Bruce to continue his relationship with Vickie ("maybe you should marry her").

His acting was simply pitch perfect. It was extremely subtle, but the way in which he tries to brush Alfred off, and even distract his own mind by dwelling on the Joker and trying to convince himself he "doesn't have time for that now" is extremely accurate to how real people with emotional repression and trauam would react.

It's great how in that scene Alfred is always connected with the present Bruce and Bruce is never connected with the present Alfred.

Alright, I just timed The Joker in B89, and it's pretty interesting. I'm not going to get as indepth with how I did with the Bat-screen time, but The Joker has 29:48 of screen time, compared to Batman's 26:51. Yes, he had more screen time, but not nearly as much as people exaggerate. About 3 min, not 10-15 min like people act like.....

I actually think that The Joker in TDK has much more screen time than Batman. I'll actually time that later, but I think it's true, due to the fact that he's The Joker from square one, whereas in B89, there was a transformation taking place.

We gotta love you man. I'd add this info to your fabulous thread about screentimes.

Now in TDK's case, poroblem is the impression Joker leaves vs the impression Batman leaves.

I was a child at the time and saw this in theaters a couple of times with my family. I had the toys, merchandise, etc. B89 was my first real introduction to the batman world and it's the standard by which I measure all other onscreen Batmen. :up:

I do not believe that anyone will ever top Michael Keaton as Batman in my eyes.

I was a child at the time and saw this in theaters a couple of times with my family. I had the toys, merchandise, etc. B89 was my first real introduction to the batman world and it's the standard by which I measure all other onscreen Batmen. :up:
Oh wow, B89 was your first introduction? You never watched the 60s show or the cartoons?

I do not believe that anyone will ever top Michael Keaton as Batman in my eyes.
His Batman is just perfect.

Oh wow, B89 was your first introduction? You never watched the 60s show or the cartoons?

I grew up with Adam West and liked it as a kid. At some point I started to hate that people would look aty the show as a mere laughing material, not even a comedy but something ridiculous. And of course I has noticed that the comics had a different otone. By 1989 I was more than ready to see a motion poicture of Batman with a new approach.

Ah yes.

I somewhat take that back.
icon11.gif

I did watch the Adam West Batman tv series and cartoons. B89 cemented me as a fan. I remember being blown away by it as a child.

I was 18 and loved every minute of it. I remember the bat logo posters everywhere like it was yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"