Did Aunt May ever figure out that Peter was Spiderman?

Viper81

Agent of Mac Sauce
Reaction score
This is one of my few unanswered questions of the series. There is a scene in the second movie where it seemed like she was starting to suspect Peter was Spiderman (the "everybody loves a hero" scene).

What do you think? Did Aunt May know Peter was Spiderman?

I think this is something left up for each viewer to decide.I personally think she didn't know.Since Raimi is also a big fan of Spidey's golden age,I'll bet that was his intention.

I think this is something left up for each viewer to decide.I personally think she didn't know.Since Raimi is also a big fan of Spidey's golden age,I'll bet that was his intention.

Agreed. I like that it is left a bit ambiguous.

There is her monologue in Spidey 2 which really does hint that she might know (by the way this is really one of the all-time highlights of the Raimi films for me).

I think Sally Field's Aunt May is hinted at knowing a bit more than Rosemary Harris' was.

It was like Robbie's little look that he gives Peter after he says "I heard Spider-Man was there" when they're talking about the accident at Octavius' lab.

This is one of my few unanswered questions of the series. There is a scene in the second movie where it seemed like she was starting to suspect Peter was Spiderman (the "everybody loves a hero" scene).

What do you think? Did Aunt May know Peter was Spiderman?

I think May is a pretty clevel gal and although maybe she didn't have proof, I suspect she had her suspicions.

Aunt May is intelligent, just like Viper81's post says, here "Hero" speech when she's unpacking (or was it packing?) boxes was kind of telling for me. Also she and Uncle Ben (RIP) were closer to him than anyone and the very sudden change of lifestyle, discipline, etc. would make her suspicious.
Granted it's not as obvious like in TASM when Garfield comes home looking like he just..did superhero things for the evening.

I think Raimi's Aunt May knows, Sally Field Aunt May strongly suspects and Robbie knows...

The reason I'm sticking with the theory that May doesn't know is based on her reaction to the news that "Spider-Man killed Sandman".I'd expect her to go ":wow: Peter you murdered someone!?!" if she knew,and not ":dry:....but Spider-man doesn't kill people?"

I totally thought that Aunt May knew the truth in Spider-Man 2, after the hero speech. And it was great, like a unspoken agreement with Peter about his duties. But then came Spider-Man 3 making clear that she really doesn't know.

I always thought Aunt May knew no matter what but I love the fact that it's left ambiguous. That scene gave Pete so much hope it's just brilliantly shot: he keeps thinking he's all alone in the world and down on his luck with nothing to do; and here's his Aunt who's just lost her house but still has the strength and determination to go on. My grandma was like that and to this day I think she knew that one of the reasons why I enrolled into that lit class that started it all was because i had a crush on a girl there lol.

It's like the "secret" of Pete's feelings for MJ - she knows and thinks "everyone else knows."

As for Sally Field's Aunt May, I feel sorry about her. She should know that Pete's Spidey, otherwise Pete comes off as this really, really selfish dude.

The reason I'm sticking with the theory that May doesn't know is based on her reaction to the news that "Spider-Man killed Sandman".I'd expect her to go ":wow: Peter you murdered someone!?!" if she knew,and not ":dry:....but Spider-man doesn't kill people?"

She's really old, maybe she continued to "talk in Peter's terms" instead? Though I dunno, why doesn't anyone ask how Pete got his powers instead of accepting that he's Spidey? I remember how that was a problem in the comics between Pete and MJ.

I totally thought that Aunt May knew the truth in Spider-Man 2, after the hero speech. And it was great, like a unspoken agreement with Peter about his duties. But then came Spider-Man 3 making clear that she really doesn't know.
Yet another way SM3 was such a letdown. I think the 'hero' speech in SM2 is pretty conclusive that May knew, she was proud of Peter, and she would let him tell her in his own time. I find it hard to believe that May couldn't put the pieces together from the events at the bank and especially hearing Spider-Man's voice. I like the look May gives Spidey after "We sure showed him!" - you can interpret it as her 'indignation' that Spidey's taking 'unearned credit', and also that hearing her nephew's muffled voice throws her for a moment.

In SM3, it felt Raimi & the writers didn't know how to deal with the Peter/May relationship if she knew, so they just 'reset' it.

I think they should continue the Raimi universe in either a one-shot comic book, or in a mini-series just to wrap up some loose ends.

-Peter and MJ getting married
-Peter telling Aunt May he is Spider-Man, only to find out she knew the whole time.
-Maybe Oscorp can be taken over by the Hardy Foundation?
-Dylan Baker's version of Dr. Connors finally turning into the Lizard.
-Finding out what Sandman has been up to, since he's the only villain to have ever survived the Raimi films.

They're already doing that with Smallville (interesting since Gough & Miller also wrote SM2) and it's just terrible. The writers behind the comics have zero clue as to what made the original live-action adaptations work so it's likely that a continuation will destroy that.

I always imagined that Baker's Lizard sort of happened somewhere inbetween films. That's why he's so close to Parker.

Oscorp's fate is just lost. They should just show that the company drowned or something after this.

I didn't like that we got a non-ending for Sandy. So what did he do with his daughter?

As for Aunt May knowing, I'll chalk it up to the brilliant performance by Harris and the script because while May knowing seemed genius to me in SM2, when they did the same with Sally Fields and Andrew Garfield I couldnt help but feel angry at this kid for putting Aunt May through this. And also it felt as though it sent parents the wrong message: even if your kid comes home beaten up, with the munchies, and probably having snuck out to do questionable things with that girlfriend you didn't know about, don't worry JUST TRUST HIM. -_-

Where's that belt boy? He needs a whuppin.

I always thought when watching the movies that Auny May didn't know.

The Joker said:
It was like Robbie's little look that he gives Peter after he says "I heard Spider-Man was there" when they're talking about the accident at Octavius' lab.

I think that look was just because Peter takes picture of him. I really didn't look at it as Robbie knew his identity.

Why would he look at him like that just because he takes Spidey's pics? Peter's been doing it for 2 years.

Last edited:
That's interesting, I also got the impression that Robbie at least suspected something about Peter.

Nah, Aunt May didn't know, not sure about Robbie

Why would he look at him like that just because he takes Spidey's pics? Peter's being doing it for 2 years.

Because I think Robbie was just curious as to what Spider-Man was doing there in the first place and looked at Peter because he's been taking his pictures for a few years. I can't sit here and say Robbie knows based off one little look and comment.

You have to remember,Raimi's films were based heavily of Stan's run.That's why May ultimatly didn't know and Robbie suspected.

When i saw the title i thought it was refering to the one of the reboot, which is rumored to know

Because I think Robbie was just curious as to what Spider-Man was doing there in the first place and looked at Peter because he's been taking his pictures for a few years. I can't sit here and say Robbie knows based off one little look and comment.

Robbie's look was not one of curiosity. He looked concerned, almost upset. It was definitely a look of knowing, or at least suspecting. The guilty look Peter gives Robbie back when Robbie says that also hints at it.

Robbie's look was not one of curiosity. He looked concerned, almost upset. It was definitely a look of knowing, or at least suspecting. The guilty look Peter gives Robbie back when Robbie says that also hints at it.

Did Robbie know in the comics? I've never really read them before.

They're already doing that with Smallville (interesting since Gough & Miller also wrote SM2) and it's just terrible. The writers behind the comics have zero clue as to what made the original live-action adaptations work so it's likely that a continuation will destroy that.

Just because they failed with Smallville doesn't mean they can't do a better job with the Sam Raimi Spider-Man franchise. And if it did fail, it wouldn't really do much damage considering the franchise is pretty much over now.

I always imagined that Baker's Lizard sort of happened somewhere inbetween films. That's why he's so close to Parker.

No, I don't think that works at all. If he had transformed into a Lizard, I doubt he would even be allowed to teach at a College anymore, at least not for a very long time. Spider-Man 2 took place 2 years after the first film, and the third was probably a few months after the second. Not enough time for so much to happen. He would most likely have transformed after the events of Spider-Man 3.

Oscorp's fate is just lost. They should just show that the company drowned or something after this.

Although it isn't necessary, I think they could do something cool in that series with Oscorp's downfall. The Hardy Foundation would be a pretty neat organization to take over Osborn's company, or perhaps Wilson Fisk buys out what's left of it.

I didn't like that we got a non-ending for Sandy. So what did he do with his daughter?
I guess we can agree on something. I figure he just moved on with his life, probably living on his own somewhere, or spending time with his daughter. She never gets cured, so we can assume that at some point her illness kills her.

As for Aunt May knowing, I'll chalk it up to the brilliant performance by Harris and the script because while May knowing seemed genius to me in SM2, when they did the same with Sally Fields and Andrew Garfield I couldnt help but feel angry at this kid for putting Aunt May through this. And also it felt as though it sent parents the wrong message: even if your kid comes home beaten up, with the munchies, and probably having snuck out to do questionable things with that girlfriend you didn't know about, don't worry JUST TRUST HIM. -_-

Where's that belt boy? He needs a whuppin.
I have no comment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"