The Amazing Spider-Man 2 does aunt may know who peter is

At the end of the movie when Peter and May are watching the news of the "disappearance" of spiderman, May clearly says that it's too bad that he is gone when the rest of the city needs him. Why would she say that if she knew that spiderman himself was right next to her in the kitchen? I don't think she has a slight clue that Peter is spiderman.

It could be seen as a sly way of her motivating him to take action. It was left ambigious.

By saying "pretty clear" I meant to some people---but she didn't say it out loud so ah......maybe not.
But I think Field sure played it that way and Webb didn't change it.

Sally is an awesome actress I think I love her. But assuming that none of her lines or actions were improvised, ask yourself this: Would her performance have been any different if she intended her character to NOT know who Peter is?

I always assumed she knew ever since that last scene with her in the first movie.
Honestly if she doesn't know I'll be kind of shocked.
Also that deathbed scene where she tells Peter she knew all along in the comics wasn't Aunt May, that was an actress hired by Norman Osborn to make Peter think his aunt died. She had no idea until she walked in and saw Peter lying on the ground beaten up after Morlun pummeled him after JMS' first story arc.

I assume she knew in ASM1..but in ASM2 it doesn't seem like she does…….

Aunt May was an awesome character in this movie. I loved her acting. Sally did a great job

I always assumed she knew ever since that last scene with her in the first movie.
Honestly if she doesn't know I'll be kind of shocked.
Also that deathbed scene where she tells Peter she knew all along in the comics wasn't Aunt May, that was an actress hired by Norman Osborn to make Peter think his aunt died. She had no idea until she walked in and saw Peter lying on the ground beaten up after Morlun pummeled him after JMS' first story arc.
do you have a source for that story?
Aunt May was an awesome character in this movie. I loved her acting. Sally did a great job

agreed. I looked at your avy before your username and I was trying to figure out what I was looking at and I thought... quasimodo? I didn't think I'd be right then I looked at your name and :hubba

I think it's more touching if she knows, but says nothing. If he wanted to tell her, he would.

May respects his privacy. She passes on general advice that relates to the current problems she picks up on.

I think it's more touching if she knows, but says nothing. If he wanted to tell her, he would.

May respects his privacy. She passes on general advice that relates to the current problems she picks up on.

it's her son tho. you'd think she'd show a little more concern if she was fully aware that peter was fighting crime, risking his life on a daily basis

it's her son tho. you'd think she'd show a little more concern if she was fully aware that peter was fighting crime, risking his life on a daily basis
She expressed concern about his bruises in TASM:

May: [sees a bruised Peter] Peter. Where do you go? Who does this to you?
Peter: Please, go to sleep, Aunt May.
May: Please tell me.
Peter: Aunt May, please, please, please, go to sleep.
May: I can't sleep!

I think it's something she came to terms with. Yes, he's risking his life and getting bruised. But he's giving out more than he gets, and the results speak for themselves.

do you have a source for that story?
The issue where she first "died" but it turned out to be an actress was ASM issue #400. Not sure the exact issue it was retconned and she came back off the top of my head. Then when she found out Peter's identity it was in ASM vol 2 #35

I think they are leaving it open so they can take it any direction they like.

Also with regards to Aunt May, now that Gwen is out of the picture I think they should solidify the relationship between Peter and May, maybe have her take sick and Peter coming to terms with everyone he loves dropping like flies. The Master Planner storyline was fantastic this would give even more moments to Peter and May. I thought the 'My boy' was so moving and I want to see more of that. Sally Fields is a wonderful actress and the more screen time she gets the better.

I think she absolutely knows. Her reaction in the first film after Peter sees the news trashing spider-man. Her reaction to seeing peter after the fight battle with lizard. Laundry turned blue and red. Peter hiding under the blankets with a dirty face. Her speech about keeping secrets, even from people you love. Her speech at the end about people missing the "spider-guy", and moving on and doing what she's supposed to do. That last one sealed the deal for me. I think it's a very fun dynamic and one I hope continues. It allows you to have the peter hiding his identity moments, and the more intimate moments when she lets on a little that she knows.

Yes, one day she typed "Andre Garfield close up" and the rest is history...

She expressed concern about his bruises in TASM:

May: [sees a bruised Peter] Peter. Where do you go? Who does this to you?
Peter: Please, go to sleep, Aunt May.
May: Please tell me.
Peter: Aunt May, please, please, please, go to sleep.
May: I can't sleep!

I think it's something she came to terms with. Yes, he's risking his life and getting bruised. But he's giving out more than he gets, and the results speak for themselves.
This is a good point. However, like someone in the thread about all the villains knowing peter's identity be annoying said, it'd be nice to see their (peter's & may's) relationship develop and I agree with that. In my opinion she is once of the most important spiderman characters, supporting characters that is, ever
I think they are leaving it open so they can take it any direction they like.

Also with regards to Aunt May, now that Gwen is out of the picture I think they should solidify the relationship between Peter and May, maybe have her take sick and Peter coming to terms with everyone he loves dropping like flies. The Master Planner storyline was fantastic this would give even more moments to Peter and May. I thought the 'My boy' was so moving and I want to see more of that. Sally Fields is a wonderful actress and the more screen time she gets the better.
Yeah, I loved the 'my boy' moment in the movie. That might be my favorite part actually it was so touching. What exactly do you mean by 'take sick'?

I just feel like it would ruin the movie if May knew all along about Peter being Spiderman. Sure, we do have the comics, and Webb has been pretty true to the comics, but I think the movie has a nice little anticipation about it just because she doesn't know.

She's definitely thinking about it. It's been in both films so far.

Having just seen the movie (late to the party, I know), I would say she probably does.

Between the line about keeping secrets, and the pep talk at the end, it's all but outright stated.

I don't really see it changing much, since she seems to have accepted that he leads some kind of double life, and doesn't really go into it.

I definitely want to see their relationship develop next time. Sally Field deserves more screen time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"