Superman Returns Superman Returns made more money than Batman Begins.

^I wouldnt agree with that either, plenty of people on here still like the movie, otherwise threads like this wouldnt be quite active for a 6 year old movie.

I personally find my enthusiasm for discussing movies drops once you know there is no sequel coming out as well.

im curious to what makes jacks joker better than ledgers joker in your eyes.. see for me ledgers joker was magnificent. the sadistic twist to the humor was incredible

Which Jack had too.

For me the difference - and I say difference, not what makes any one better than the other - is that Jack's Joker is the classic from the 1940's and 1950's.

And I guess I don't have to list all goods Ledger's Joker was.

I absolutely loved SR, it got me into Superman as a character and got me into reading the comics also. I would have loved to see it turn into a franchise and I think Singer would have made an amazing sequel.

Apparently Darkseid was going to be the villain so I think it would have been amazing as he is my favourite Supes villain, a real shame we never got to see it. I am looking forward to MOS at the same time though.

Darkseid is my favorite Superman villain as well, I really hope he's the main villain in the 3rd film in the Man of Steel franchise with an brief appearance in the 1st or 2nd film.

I absolutely loved SR, it got me into Superman as a character and got me into reading the comics also. I would have loved to see it turn into a franchise and I think Singer would have made an amazing sequel.

Apparently Darkseid was going to be the villain so I think it would have been amazing as he is my favourite Supes villain, a real shame we never got to see it. I am looking forward to MOS at the same time though.

I liked SR too, there are certain things that needed some change though, but still I like it but I haven't heard anything about Darkseid before, I thought that Zod storyline that is now being used in MOS was going to be part of sequel.

If true, Darkseid would have been awsome.

Darkseid is my favorite Superman villain as well, I really hope he's the main villain in the 3rd film in the Man of Steel franchise with an brief appearance in the 1st or 2nd film.

Yeah I think he is great, really hope he makes an appearance in the new franchise at some point, they will need to up the threat level for each movie and you cant get much more of a threat than Darkseid. Only really Imperiex or, and this is debatable, Doomsday could put up more of a fight really.

I liked SR too, there are certain things that needed some change though, but still I like it but I haven't heard anything about Darkseid before, I thought that Zod storyline that is now being used in MOS was going to be part of sequel.

If true, Darkseid would have been awsome.

One of the writers of SR, think it was Dougherty, confirmed Darkseid was going to be the villain in an interview, and Jamie and Showtime from here said it was as well and they know their stuff.

Agreed about SR, even though I love it a few changes should have been made to the overall story.

^I wouldnt agree with that either, plenty of people on here still like the movie, otherwise threads like this wouldnt be quite active for a 6 year old movie.

I personally find my enthusiasm for discussing movies drops once you know there is no sequel coming out as well.
I agree on that. When people keep talking about it, even after six years, it must have done something right. :D

But yeah, the lack of sequel... bummer.

Well we all know what Singer's idea was for a sequel the treatments been released and it would have been awful which is probably why the studio rejected it. I think Darkseid was pitched by the writers to WB's.

Well we all know what Singer's idea was for a sequel the treatments been released and it would have been awful which is probably why the studio rejected it.

Thought it was because they wanted more money from SR?

How cool it would have been for Darkseid to be the villain instead of Luthor again.

Well we all know what Singer's idea was for a sequel the treatments been released and it would have been awful which is probably why the studio rejected it. I think Darkseid was pitched by the writers to WB's.

I was actually quite fond of the idea they presented for the sequel. I hate the cynicism that comes from people deeming something as "awful" just because it doesn't suit their taste.

I actually like how Singer wanted to use Braniac, but that was about it.

Apparently Warner Bros shot down Darkseid immediately after Bryan proposed it to them.

They thought the concept of that character sucked.

I don't think they'll ever approve of Darkseid in live action unless Nolan puts his seal of approval on it.

Personally, I would have loved to have seen Darkseid in live action for the first time, but it would have been a weird mix with Brandon Routh's pre-crisis Superman.

I personally thought the ideas for the sequel sounded great, I would have loved to have seen it get made. WB rejecting it makes me think it would have been awesome as well, their track record has been awful lately.

Apparently Warner Bros shot down Darkseid immediately after Bryan proposed it to them.

They thought the concept of that character sucked.

I don't think they'll ever approve of Darkseid in live action unless Nolan puts his seal of approval on it.

Personally, I would have loved to have seen Darkseid in live action for the first time, but it would have been a weird mix with Brandon Routh's pre-crisis Superman.

Same here, he has been my favourite Supes villain since I start reading Superman since I saw SR in 2006.

Like I've said in another Superman thread, I'd love for Darkseid to be the main villain in MOS's third film.

Well, if they didn't want Darkseid in a Superman Returns movie, why would they want him in a Man of Steel movie?

Because he's a great villain, but i wouldn't make him being defeated in a superman movie as i would have him in a JL movie

But they said 'no' before, what would make them say 'yes' now?

^Maybe it was the treatment of him by Dougherty and Harris or their vision for him they didnt agree with, a different vision and treatment may be to their liking.

Notice that people don't care about budgets, they just go and see the movie.

Production companies care VERY much about the gross to budget ratio. Superman Returns required a significantly greater sum of money to get the product they released. Even if you concur with the rumors about it only costing 207M as opposed to 270M, it still doesn't break even with the budget.

Add to the fact that it has not aged well in the public's eye with the mediocre home video sales, and it's not hard to see why it didn't get a sequel, as opposed to BB which was far more profitable and popular on the home video market.

Production companies care VERY much about the gross to budget ratio. Superman Returns required a significantly greater sum of money to get the product they released. Even if you concur with the rumors about it only costing 207M as opposed to 270M, it still doesn't break even with the budget.
Also note that $207 million is still a lot more than BB's $150 mil. It's more expensive than the original from '78, adjusted for inflation ($241 for SR vs $198 for Donner.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"