Did You Like The Amalgam Heroes??

Memphis Slim

Superhero
Reaction score
I wish those were on-going? That was some of the most creative story telling in recent history.

Would you like to see some of it again? What were your favorites?

BWAoS.JPG

Bruce was was a young man whose spy parents were assassinated by members of HYDRA. Wanting revenge, Bruce Wayne enlisted in S.H.I.E.L.D. where he was trained by World War II veterans Nick Fury and Sgt. Rock. After promotion through the ranks, Bruce eventually used S.H.I.E.L.D. as a tool for his vengeance against Green Skull, who had killed his parents, though there were rumours that Bruce had used his fathers' money to buy S.H.I.E.L.D., rather than wait for promotion. Nick Fury commented that the number of times Bruce had killed to get to Green Skull had caused his soul to virtually disappear.

Bruce was last seen in HYDRA Base Omega fighting Selina Luthor and Baron Zero, though he wasn't seen leaving the building, and so it is unclear if he survived the inferno that followed, but likely he did, since Bruce appears in JLX Unleashed # 1.

Outside of S.H.I.E.L.D., Bruce enjoys a relationship with Barbara Hardy, who is a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent operating under the name of Black Bat.

Supersoldier.jpg

Origin
During World War II, government scientists were working on a "Super-Soldier formula" to transform a man into a fighting machine experiment with cellular samples from an alien corpse. They administer the formula, as well as solar radiation, to a young man named Clark Kent, a volunteer for the Super-Soldier program.
The mixture of the formula and the radiation gave Kent incredible powers and abilities, including super-strength, heat vision, and flight. Reporter Jimmy Olsen, who sneaks into the Super-Soldier program laboratory, makes a deal with the government: He will not tell the world about the project if the government makes him the "official press flak" for the Super-Soldier.
Super-Soldier gains a sidekick for a short time named American Girl and becomes a member of the All-Star Winners Squadron, also known as the All-Star Winners Society. Clark Kent is romantically interested in Lois Lane and dismayed when she marries Lex Luthor, a cold-hearted billionaire. In Super-Soldier:Man of War #1, Super-Soldier, aided by Sgt. Rock and his Howling Commandos, Jimmy Olsen, and Agent Peggy, fight Major Zemo, a member of HYDRA, a Nazi organization, who was secretly working for Lex Luthor, the behind-the-scenes leader of HYDRA and friend of Adolf Hitler himself.
In March 1942, Super-Soldier 'had the war all but won nearly single-handedly until the rise of Ultra-Metallo', in the words of Jimmy Olsen. Ultra-Metallo was a massive robot later revealed to be sent by Lex Luthor. The fight between Super-Soldier and Ultra-Metallo started in Washington, D.C. and made its way to above the northern Atlantic Ocean. Super-Soldier sacrificed himself to take down Ultra-Metallo, the two of them sinking beneath the icy waters, with Jimmy Olsen as one of the few witnesses. Instead of reporting to the world that Super-Soldier was dead, Jimmy Olsen instead reported that Super-Soldier had retired, after declaring the war won by America.

bio_alternate-thorion.jpg

THORION

1st appearance: Thorion of the New Asgods #1
Origin: Thorion of the New Asgods #1

History: Thorion is an amalgam of Thor and Orion, created when the Two Brothers decided that instead of destroying each other, they would combine universes. Not much is known about his powers and abilities, but a majority of them seem very similar to Thor's. Other Characters: L'ok D'saad (Loki + Desaad)
Thanoseid (Thanos + Darkseid)
Bald'r (Balder + Lightray)
Highfather (Odin +Highfather)
Ymir
Surtur
Kalibak
Mangog
Ego-Mass (Ego + Source Wall) Mother Cube (Cosmic Cube + Mother Box)
The Celestial (Thor + Orion + Celestials + Promethean Giants)

No. The ideas were cool, but most of them sucked ass.

Wow. It's the "Quad Eye Roll". The forum will never be the same. Cause once, you go there man, it's hard to come back.

cool ideas.I didnt read enough of them to comment but I liked spider boy.

DOCTOR STRANGEFATE

strngfte3
strngfte1

Doctor Strangefate is an Amalgam Comics superhero who debuted in Doctor Strangefate #1, but his metafictional debut in Amalgam Comics continuity was More Strange Tales #110.
Doctor Strangefate is the most powerful being in the Amalgam Comics universe, and has built up the universe using his powers. However, the two keys controlled by Access (Axel Asher) that would restore the DC Comics and Marvel Comics universes will mean that everything he has created in the Amalgam universe will be destroyed.
To keep his universe intact, Dr. Strangefate recruits Jade Nova, Skulk and White Witch to capture Access and bring him to Strangefate so the Amalgam universe can remain active. However, Dr. Strangefate realizes that Access has hidden the keys elsewhere, and cannot prevent the destruction of his universe.
It is later revealed in the "All Access" miniseries that Strangefate survived the end of Amalgam by infusing himself deep within Dr. Strange's psyche. Manipulating the Sorcerer Supreme, he created several cross-dimensional incursions before he was discovered by Batman and Access.
Dr. Strangefate, in a last ditch effort to restore the Amalgam universe, forcibly merged the JLA and the X-Men, and set them upon Access. However, with some help from the suppressed Dr. Strange, Access was able to defeat Strangefate and restore the universes to normal once again.

Dr. Strangefate then preserved the entire Amalgam universe in a pocket dimension, thus insuring that Strangefate would not menace the Marvel and DC universes again.
According to the storyline of Lobo the Duck, Doctor Strangefate is dead, but this is debatable as the Lobo the Duck storyline was out of continuity with the mainstream Amalgam universe.
Doctor Strangefate is an infusion of Doctor Fate of DC Comics and Doctor Strange of Marvel Comics with elements of Charles Xavier.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Strangefate"

They were entertaining and a fun read. But I'd still stick with the originals.

They were cool, original ideas, but Darth is right - the premise was great, but it didn't carry through. One turn-off for me was the stupid names - Thorion? Thanoseid? Strangefate? Ugh.

Iron_lantern_cover.jpg

IRON LANTERN

Origin
Hal Stark was a millionaire, the founder of Stark Aircraft. He was working on a stationary flight simulator when the device suddenly took off with him in it. Stark discovered that the flight simulator was being drawn to a crashed alien spacecraft, and the flight simulator crashed yards away from it. Stark was badly injured with shards of metal stuck in his chest. Curious to the end, Stark made his way to the alien spacecraft, where he came upon the dying alien Rhomann Sur. The alien died before he could speak with Hal, and Hal realized he was dying as well. With his last efforts, Stark designed a suit of armor out of the alien technology, powered by a battery he found in the wreckage, one which reminded him of a lantern. The suit of armor not only allowed him to survive, but gave him incredible powers, allowing him to create any object he pleased out of a green energy, due to the battery he used being powered by Oa the Living Planet. He battled and defeated the aliens that had shot down Rhomann Sur's spacecraft.

Superhero career

Hal Stark, under the name of the Iron Lantern, became a superhero, fighting against numerous enemies such as Madame Sapphire, Great White, and his greatest foe Mandarinestro, who is behind a series of events that creates Madame Sapphire, who in turn resurrects the Great White android. Hal Stark has also been associated with the Green Guardsman, who once took over for Iron Lantern, and later came back to steal the Iron Lantern's alien battery so he could be a hero again. Other foes that Iron Lantern has faced include Dr. Whiplash and H.E.C.T.O.R..
In Showcase of Suspense #29, Hal traveled into the year 5700. Apparently in this far-off future, there is another Iron Lantern known as Arno Manning, who Hal Stark temporarily took the identity of in his travels. In addition to the Iron Lantern's connections to Arno Manning and the Green Guardsman, Hal Stark is also somehow connected to the Golden Age superhero the Human Lantern in ways that have not yet been revealed.

As a rule? No, not really. I'm really glad that I wasn't reading comics when this stuff came out. It screamed "Desperate for a gimmick. Any gimmick." and also "LAWL let's combine characters from the different companies so they'll be MORE EXTREME than ever before and be TWICE the RADICAL that they were!" Like combining Sailor Moon and Ranma or something. It was good and interesting for about an issue, but then made an entire megaseries out of this and oh my Buffy the desperation.

I can see how some of them could be cool in theory, but I don't think any of them really worked when put into practice, IMO.

And the Bruce Wayne one doesn't seem to resemble anything Batman-related, except for the name and the fact that his parents were killed. I like the way his face is drawn on the cover there, though, but that's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"