Forget Samuel L. Jackson—The Hoff says HE'S the ultimate Nick Fury

Nick Fury is the kind of guy who does something like this...

steranko.png

... everyday for breakfast and as great as Sam Jackson is, we're not going to (or would want to) see him crash through a wall shirtless while riding on a motorcycle any day soon. 1998 Jackson would have been fantastic, but 2012 Sam is never going to work in the kind of Nick Fury movie I want. More Mission Impossible than Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

I'm gonna go with Gilkison's take here. MCU Fury did pull out a rocket launcher and fire it at a jet containing a Nuke, a generally talk down to the people that run the world. He was about as badass as you can be while running SHIELD. 616's SHIELD kinda runs itself, for better or worse, so Fury can be free to be his own best field agent.

Stephen Lang (Avatar) would have made the perfect Fury.

I agree, but he'd be an even better Cable. I'm still hoping that happens, though I doubt it ever will because it involves time travel, and Fox has stripped out a lot of the more comic book-esque elements of the X-Men franchise, for better or worse.

I didn't like Sam Jackson's Fury in Iron Man 2, but he totally sold me on him in Avengers.

Samuel L. Jackson make Nick Fury even more interesting than the original comic book Nick Fury.

Hoff should show up as Sam Jackson's LMD.

[rono];23398505 said:
Samuel L. Jackson make Nick Fury even more interesting than the original comic book Nick Fury.

:doh:

Samuel L. Jackson feels nothing like the one from the comics. He is just Samuel L. Jackson in the Avengers lol.

Stephen Lang (Avatar) would have made the perfect Fury.

I think you might be right if Stephen was allowed a chunk of time to perform but Sam Jackson in a bit role, as Fury was in the AV movie, was better. You can get alot more from 10 mins of Sam then you can from Stephen because Sam is Sam, I mean you know what he is going to say and how it will come out before he says it and your already waiting for it. Stephen is a great character actor like Tommy lee Jones but without the great one liners.

steranko.png

... everyday for breakfast and as great as Sam Jackson is, we're not going to (or would want to) see him crash through a wall shirtless while riding on a motorcycle any day soon. 1998 Jackson would have been fantastic, but 2012 Sam is never going to work in the kind of Nick Fury movie I want. More Mission Impossible than Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

I doubt anyone want's to see a shirtless guy ripping through a wall on a motorcycle firing 2 guns at once through a brick wall. Arnold's movies are no longer viable realities :oldrazz:

I think a "007" meets "24" type of Nick Fury might work but not enough name recognition from good ol' nick to put butts in the seats.

That movie sucked big time, but it was low budget for TV. However I did like his over the top performance in that movie, and it's about the only thing redeeming about the movie.

But sorry Dave I'll take Jackson any M**** F***** Day of the M***** F****** Week!

I always thought Fred Ward would make an ass-kicking Fury if they were to do something with the MAX version.

The one thing I don't like about the Sam Jackson Nick Fury, is I hate the trench coat costume. I wish they would have came up with some thing that was more traditional to the 616 costume.

Jackson's standing next to Earth's Mightiest Heroes and all he does is talk. I thought Nick Fury was supposed to be like Snake Plissken in charge. I don't understand how you cast Jackson and tell him to keep it down.

Exactly! I'm biased to old-school Marvel and am happy to say so. The Hasslehoff depiction of Fury was EXACTLY the way Fury was originally written by Lee - rough around the edges, ex-combat vet who had seen blood and guts, beer-drinking/cigar smoking lead-the-troops into battle kinda guy who just happens to get handed the keys to the head office of SHIELD. He was NOT some ex-CIA spy, all high-tech and such. Yeah the movie was cheesy but SO WAS THE COMIC! ALL of Lee's 60s stuff was cheesy cornball stuff and I love it!

For what was written for the Avengers film, Jackeson was more suited for the part, but for the REAL Nick Fury portrayal, Hoff kicks his ass all week and twice on Sunday!

I always thought Fred Ward would make an ass-kicking Fury if they were to do something with the MAX version.

Man. I always thought this as well! Hoff did a good job with what he has but at the end of the day he's...well, Hasselhoff. Ward seems a little tougher, more dangerous while still being able to maintain that common man beer-and-a -burger kinda personna.

Stephen Lang played Nick Fury better than both those overhyped bozos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7G-hAHMGoo
He didn't even need the name, or to be in the movie to embody the character.

I was watching Avatar last week and thought this exact thing! The way he did stuff in that movie, acting before thinking, just jumping into the fray...slap an eyepatch on him and he IS Fury. Only problem is he might've actually shown up one or two of the Avengers with that kind of intensity! IDK if u want a Fury who is more muscular than Cap!

Last edited:
I was watching Avatar last week and thought this exact thing! The way he did stuff in that movie, acting before thinking, just jumping into the fray...slap an eyepatch on him and he IS Fury. Only problem is he might've actually shown up one or two of the Avengers with that kind of intensity! IDK if u want a Fury who is more muscular than Cap!
He should be able to hold his own against Cap. At least for a bit...
559633-captainamerica153047ou3qh_super.jpg

Round two...

559660-nickfurylmdvscap0zf_super.jpg

Young Fury digs a knife into Wolverine's brain....
534201-wolverine34221az_super.jpg

Jackson and Hasselhoff are bloated caricatures of Fury. Stephen Lang embodies him, as you say ...slap an eyepatch on him and he IS Fury.

Last edited:
I always thought Billy Bob Thorton would make a good tough has nails Fury if they were going with him being older grizzled badass type.

Well I mean of course Stan Lee and Avi Arad are going to say that David Hasselhoff is Nick Fury up to his face, I mean isn't David like 6'4" that he would throw around Stan and Avi like rag dolls?

And besides what's the big deal if Marvel 616 has the caucasian Fury and Ultimate Fury?

I'd like him to be a man of action. I'm starting to think that Jackson's Fury lost that eye in an accident playing ping pong in Ding Dang.

Well I personally think they should make a SHIELD movie that starred just ScarJo, Jackson and Renner. That way they could all be better explored and have more to do. However, The Avengers was--surprise, surprise--about The Avengers. Fury is one of them, even if he is their unofficial leader. They squeezed a few action beats into the movie for him, but ultimately it wasn't his movie so he gets fewer scenes.

steranko.png

To me Jackson's Fury comes across as a guy who did this stuff 20 years ago, and is always doing his damndest to keep himself in check while heading SHIELD. You can see bits of that part of himself come out when he's kicking ass on the helicarrier or shooting down his own jets to save New York.

Hasselhoff's movie was terrible. But I do feel ike in The Avengers we got to see the real Fury.

LOL Hoff.

Samuel Jackson is obviously better since he's the better actor.

Samuel L. Jackson feels nothing like the one from the comics. He is just Samuel L. Jackson in the Avengers lol.

Did you read the Ultimates? That's exactly how they made him. This is Ultimate Nick Fury not 616 Fury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"