Forget Samuel L. Jackson—The Hoff says HE'S the ultimate Nick Fury

Morg

Grumpy mod
Staff member
Reaction score
Samuel L. Jackson may have taken on the mantle of S.H.I.E.L.D. commander Nick Fury in the recent slate of big-screen Marvel adventures, but David Hasselhoff thinks the world needs reminding: Jackson may be the man now, but the Hoff is still the "ultimate" Nick Fury.

Hasselhoff played the badass, eye-patched government agent in the 1998 made-for-TV movie Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., and he told MovieHole that he respects the fact that Jackson has the character now—but said he believes his original, Stan Lee-approved portrayal stands the test of time.

"I didn't see The Avengers yet," Hasselhoff said. "I love Sam Jackson, but you know ... my Nick Fury was the organic Nick Fury that was written and discussed with Stan Lee before anyone got in there to change it. Nick Fury was written to be tongue-in-cheek, and he had a cigar in his mouth, he was a tough guy—he was cool."

Hasselhoff said he was told that if Nick Fury ever popped up again, he'd be the go-to guy. But the folks at Marvel apparently decided to go a different direction when the Avengers films were ramping up.

"Stan Lee said, 'You're the ultimate Nick Fury,'" he said. "Avi Arad, when they bought it, said, 'Don't worry, you're going to be the Nick Fury forever,' and they lied. But that happens to me all the time. That's when you realize life isn't fair."

But Hasselhoff said he has no hard feelings. And if Marvel ever wanted him to cameo in any future hero flicks, he'd be happy to oblige.

"I had a blast playing Nick Fury," he said. "And if it ever came back and Nick Fury has a brother—Dick Fury?—I'd be there."

What do you think? Do you prefer Hasselhoff's over-the-top take on Fury, or Samuel L. Jackson's effort?

so which you prefer?

hahahahaha. The Hoff is funny. I will take Samuel L. Jackson over the Hoff every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Shouldn't he be eating a cheeseburger off the floor or something?

I honestly don't remember ANYTHING about the "Nick Fury" tv movie, and I did watch it when it first aired. I'm very amused by how upset he is.

OH GOD. Dick Fury. Please, please let this become a reality.

I don't see how Jackson's Fury was boring. He was perfectly written, being duplicitous and shady but deep down a true optimist and idealist. And Jackson did well not to turn into a caricature of himself like most of his performances these days.

Anyway, it's all about Dirk Anger, Director of H.A.T.E.

Jackson's standing next to Earth's Mightiest Heroes and all he does is talk. I thought Nick Fury was supposed to be like Snake Plissken in charge. I don't understand how you cast Jackson and tell him to keep it down.

Eh, the 1998 movie was pretty bad, but Hasslehoff made a pretty good Nick Fury. I'd say he did a better job and more to work with than Jackson did. He's kind of right.

The Hoff all the way. Love that. Dick Fury...that's great. Eh, Samuel L Jackson's Fury is, in my opinion a pretty weak character, even in Millar's Ultimates.

Well he still has time to be that man of action, they will have alot more films with him in it.

UMAD?
hasselhoff_in_the_surf.gif

Dick Fury the drunken white cheeseburger eating lifeguard brother of the Shield commander. :woot:

Neither of these guys does the character justice. The closest I've seen to the comic Nick Fury onscreen was Charlton Heston's character from True Lies.

Dick Fury the drunken white cheeseburger eating lifeguard brother of the Shield commander. :woot:

Neither of these guys does the character justice. The closest I've seen to the comic Nick Fury onscreen was Charlton Heston's character from True Lies.

Actually Sam Jackson does Ultimate Nick Fury justices. Since the character was based off of him. :oldrazz:

Funny... I love the main universe Nick Fury more than Ultimate Nick Fury but I love Sam Jackson more than I love main universe Nick Fury.

The Avengers is about The Avengers. It's not a Nick Fury movie, so it doesn't make sense to have him kicking ass all over the place because that is what the Avengers are supposed to be doing. It's their movie, not Fury's.

That said, Fury got to kick some ass in The Avengers. But it makes sense that he takes a backseat to the main characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"