Didn't Superman do Marvel's Civil War in about 3 pages?

Reaction score
I mean in 3 pages they did it when Kelly was on Superman this is your life and they went before congress because they felt like the heroes can't be trusted.

That was actually a Pre-Crisis JSA story.

Read the story before you dis....it is quite good.

Not really a Marvel guy at the moment, but i picked up CW and ended up bying it. It really is pretty good. Pitty the same can't be said for most of Marvel.

It may be good, but I think most of us just finished IC, and 52 starts next week. I dont know if I have the monetary means, and physical stamina to read up on the entire DCU, and read a mega event from Marvel as well. Plus, would I want to?

CW #1 didn't suck, which is all I asked from it. Everything besides that was just a bonus, like the Captain America scene.

With the Crisis having ended, I've got to say I was really impressed. The last issue wasn't a letdown, and had some great character moments mixed in with the brawling and what not. Perez and Jiminez really did well on Crisis, but Steve McNiven's art in Civil War isn't doing much for me. It feels... off, somehow.

I'm actually enjoying CW so far, but you'd have to admit that the basic story has been done several times before. This whole Big Bad Government versus Well-Meaning Superheroes bit is way old hat. That doesn't mean that it's bad, it just means that it's not particularly new.

Marvel's supervillians must be on hiatus...or in Bahrain with Michael Jackson

All I was asking is though didn't they do that story in less the time and pages and make it work well.

If you want to read some good marvel stories- Pick up Ares, Astonishing X-men and Young Avengers. I'm more of a DC guy myself also, but that doesn't mean I can't read a few Marvel titles.

Oh I read Marvel I only read Punisher Max, Cap. America, Supreme Power or what ever they are called now and thats it.

Tony_Montana said:
I mean in 3 pages they did it when Kelly was on Superman this is your life and they went before congress because they felt like the heroes can't be trusted.

Probably where Millar got the idea from.

Also James obinson wrote the Golden Age where heroes face other heroes as well.

Tony_Montana said:
All I was asking is though didn't they do that story in less the time and pages and make it work well.
Yeah, the Golden Age heroes were forced to come before the House Un-American Activities Committee ("HUAC" for short) after WWII, when Cold War paranoia was setting in all across the world. The HUAC demanded that they reveal their identities or cease their vigilante operations and, as a result, most of the JSA and other Golden Agers retired.

It's been referenced in some form in a lot of comics, including Kelly's "Superman, This Is Your Life" and Cooke's The New Frontier.

Yeah, but Golden Age did it better. Mainly because of one of the best damn all out battles ever put to page.

It would be great if Hitler is in Civil War.

Probably where Millar got the idea from.

Yes, because it was NEVER used anywhere before Superman. It's such a unique idea.

Kotagg said:
Yes, because it was NEVER used anywhere before Superman. It's such a unique idea.

How many times was it done, Millar is a big Supes fan, read all those JLA stories. He baely knew about the X-men when he came to Marvel.

And the Huac stuff for DC was a very unique idea, because heroes were viewed as almost cops back then not vigilantes.

Kotagg said:
Everything's been used somewhere else before. That doesn't mean that Millar couldn't have gotten the idea from Marvel. People treat ripping off ideas as some heinous violation of the creative code, but it's been done ad infinitum throughout the entire history of comics and most other creative media. :o

well we all know that superman is the first superhero and so he was the first hero in comics to do everything and everything that came after it just ripping off superman. you know like that south park where they keep saying "Simpsons did it".

CW is shaping up nicely. Admittedly, it's a far smaller scale from what we've been seeing from IC, but I think that's to the benefit of the story. IC was just too damn messy, and, in my personal opinion, didn't really stand on its own the way CoIE - despite all its tie-in issues - did.

I thought it stood on its own fine. The tie-ins this time around just enriched the things they couldn't really devote an entire issue to in the IC mini itself.

I read lot's of the Tie-ins, and I didn't really think they were all that necessary. You could read IC 1-7 and enjoy it without readin' all the tie-ins, as long as you had been readin' what was goin' on in DC for a little while prior to IC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"