Direct sequel to Robocop 1987 may be in the works

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
So, a sequel to Robocop may be coming!!

Zeigeist: RoboCop is very much what you would call a cult classic.

EN: Thank you. I think so.

Z: What was this history behind RoboCop? What conceptualised it in the first place?

EN: I think it was my sense of humour. It was sort of how I look at things and way, way back in the 1980’s when I was writing this, you were supposed to write action movies that were exciting, but you weren’t really supposed to write action movies that were funny or satirical and I always thought you could do that. In the 80’s that was kind of a satire about corporate America and a little bit about what was going in law enforcement and policing and stuff like that. Those were topics that I thought I could write about in a fun way and luckily I hooked up with a bunch of talented people and the movie turned out really well.

I was very lucky to have a producer named John Davidson who produced the movie Airplane, which you might have heard of also, so he was a guy who encouraged you to do things that were funny. Then we got Paul Verhoeven – who is just a world class filmmaker – and he really bought into the whole idea lock, stock and barrel. So it worked out really well that way.

Z: At the time of filming RoboCop did you expect to have the cult following it has now?

EN: No. I don’t think you really. I had seen early screenings and people laughed at it so I thought: “Oh it might be successful” and it was more successful than anybody really knew it would be. I didn’t expect to be talking about it thirty years later. It was kind of the start of my career and later we did Starship Troopers – which was an enormous movie that took forever. I think all of that came out of that and it’s nice that people are still interested in RoboCop and they have me working on a new one at MGM right now so maybe we’ll get another one out of it.

Z: Could you give readers some sort of teaser as to what it’s going to be about?

EN: Well, here’s what I’ll say. We’re not supposed to say too much. There’s been a bunch of other RoboCop movies and there was recently a remake and I would say this would be kind of going back to the old RoboCop we all love and starting there and going forward. So it’s a continuation really of the first movie. In my mind. So it’s a little bit more of the old school thing.

Rest of the article is at:
http://www.zgemag.com/biff-2018-interview-ed-neumeier/

If this actually happens, it should be very interesting! Get Peter Weller and Paul Verhoeven
back, if the co-writer of the original is working on this!

Last edited:
Weller is 70 years old now. So I doubt he'd come back even if Verhoeven did.

I figured this would be the direction they'd take if they wanted to make a another Robo movie, which is the current Hollywood trend. Either that or they'd make the next RoboCop a female.

I don't hate the remake. But... Eh, seems like they should look into something else to do with the franchise other than theatrical films.

Imagine a well thought out and well budgeted RC streaming show? Or a new RC game series? Hell, I would be down for a truly gritty and violent animated show.

But another film? Eh... I would have to wait for a trailer to grab me.

A lot of what made Robocop work across it's many strengths, was the era we lived in at the time and the setting, and sadly, much of what was satirically identified is still much in vogue in contemporary society so it has that angle and the technology aspect of the film is very much in sync currently, so there is a platform for it but I just think because of the original, and to a lesser extent, the sequel, (liked but not held in the same love) are so hard to follow.

I just wouldn't go near this, but given how well BR 2049 did at taking concepts and building upon them, many years later, there clearly, are threads of story that can be built upon for beloved films of years gone by.

If it were a sequel that at least erased Robocop 3, then I am interested.

So is this gonna become a new trend now, just making sequels that ignore other sequels? They're doing it with Halloween, Terminator, and now Robocop

Abrams should do the same with Episode 9. Just completely ignore TLJ

I sorta suspect from what he said there he's probably meaning a sort of "spiritual successor" to the original, like tone and Verhoeven black humor, than actually in the same continuity and ignoring 2 and 3. Even though that's the way it's worded, just not sure they'd go that route, especially given how much has changed tech/looks wise since 1987.

But yeah, another reboot that isn't necessarily an origin story, and more in the look/feel/tone of Verhoeven's would be pretty "hell yeah!".

I'd almost say go with Fassbender for Murphy, too, if this were a few years back. He's probably a little too known, a "name" by now though. Always thought Michelle Trachentenberg kinda looks like Nancy Allen facially too, might even make a pretty cool Lewis.

But yeah, ack, that Kinnaman flick was just so goddamn bland. Not even bad, just..."shrug" worthy. Even Keaton & Oldman couldn't bring it out of "blahh" territory. So I'd be up for another shot at this, so long as Neumeier's involved and they're shooting for something Verhoeven-ian.

Oldman's and Cornish's characters brought that re(boot)make down.

If someone manages to Fury Road or 2049 the next installment,
I'll check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"