Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21749

23440.jpg
point.gif

point.gif

The Directors Guild of America has announced its list of nominees for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion Pictures for 2007. The DGA awards are quite closely scrutinised as their selection very often end up in the running for Best Picture at the Oscars (since only getting three right in 2001, they've chosen at least four the same as the Academy each year). Their choices are:

Paul Thomas Anderson – There Will Be Blood
Joel and Ethan Coen – No Country For Old Men
Tony Gilroy – Michael Clayton
Sean Penn – Into The Wild
Julian Schnabel – The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Those are some fine movies, but our first reaction was pa-HAH?! Michael Clayton? That movie was just fine and featured some terrific performances, but one of the best of the year and, indeed, one of the best directed of the year? Not in our book. Tim Burton, Brad Bird, Joe Wright or Paul Greengrass easily deserve a place on that list over Gilroy.

This list of nominees isn't good news for Wright's Atonement or Ridley Scott's American Gangster, both of which have slipped from the front of the pack to dark horses. Atonement would have been our early pick to sweep the Oscar board, but that's looking highly unlikely now. That said, we'd be surprised to see either Gilroy or Schnabel make the Oscar shortlist. It wouldn't be a crime if they did, but there do seem to be other more worthy contenders.

I'm surprised Wright and Burton were not nominated. I'd put them up there before Gilroy. I am one of those who actually loved American Gangster, but I do not think it was Scott's best and understand it not getting nominated.

Michael Clayton, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, American Gangster. I didn't see any of these. :csad:
The rest are very well deserved nominations.
Yay, for Sean Penn. :yay: :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"