• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Discussion: All Things Union

I like how I, as a school janitor in Ohio, make less than $30,000 a year, have taken enough pay cuts that I make less now than I did when I was hired 3 years ago, have recently been made to pay a higher percentage on my insurance, and am now on a 3 year pay freeze... am holding the community hostage and must be put in my place. I'd like to see Kasich make what I may and then say with a straight face that he should be made to give a little more.

Kasich is a joke.
Indeed.

I relished how defeated he looked at his news conference! Maybe now he'll actually negotiate like a real Governor and stop demonizing hardworking firefighters, police and other union folk like my Dad and sister.

Screw that greedy Wall Street/Fox News stooge for calling people who don't make nearly as much as he and his buddies do greedy.

Time to grow up Kasich and negotiate with you constituents who are in unions. Demonizing them didn't and won't ever work.

I agree, what I found so stupid, was during sb5 creation, the unions offered to sit down and talk, Kasich said no, that there would be no negotiations, but a month ago when it was obvious that issue 2 would fail he suddenly wanted to talk with the unions and acted surprised when they did not show, idiot, used to like him back when he was a congressman,idk, ever sense he spent time on fox news he became a major jerk, we will see if he really learned anything and listens to the people, something tells me he's not done.

Indeed.

I relished how defeated he looked at his news conference! Maybe now he'll actually negotiate like a real Governor and stop demonizing hardworking firefighters, police and other union folk like my Dad and sister.

Screw that greedy Wall Street/Fox News stooge for calling people who don't make nearly as much as he and his buddies do greedy.

Time to grow up Kasich and negotiate with you constituents who are in unions. Demonizing them didn't and won't ever work.

Kasich deserved to be rebuked for the way he handled the situation.

Kasich deserved to be rebuked for the way he handled the situation.
That has always been my point. It's not a left or right thing it's a respect thing and I don't see how anybody can disagree.

I watched my local news and saw that the unions did want to negotiate but he refused to and was thus rebuked on a stunning level by the majority of my fellow citizens. He can only blame himself for this embarrassing failure.

Great clip I saw today from the film MATEWAN, featuring a young Chris Cooper as a union organizer:

[YT]R2cuF3WNMHk&feature=related[/YT]

"You ain't men to that coal company - you're equipment, like a shovel or a gondola car or a hunk of wood brace. They'll use you till you wear out or you break down or you're buried under a slate fall and then they'll get a new one, and they don't care what colour it is or where it comes from...if you stand alone, you're just so much **** to those people!"

This is exactly why the unions need to dump the bosses' parties (which in this case means the Democrats) and form a mass party of labor.

Just popped in to say I love you for posting this clip. Matewan is one of my favorite films.

That has always been my point. It's not a left or right thing it's a respect thing and I don't see how anybody can disagree.

I watched my local news and saw that the unions did want to negotiate but he refused to and was thus rebuked on a stunning level by the majority of my fellow citizens. He can only blame himself for this embarrassing failure.

Pretty much. Ohio isn't an anti-union state to begin with and the fact that Kasich even went against Republican leaning unions shows how much of a boneheaded move his tactics were.

I still wish we could recall Kasich...

I still wish we could recall Kasich...

I like to think of voting a politician out of office as a psuedo-recall. I think that the recall system is starting to get abused by both the Republicans and Democrats in today's highly politically polarized world.

The guy's a dick, but he hasn't even been in office for a year.

I like to think of voting a politician out of office as a psuedo-recall. I think that the recall system is starting to get abused by both the Republicans and Democrats in today's highly politically polarized world.

The guy's a dick, but he hasn't even been in office for a year.

Don't remind me man... :csad:

here in CT, the teachers unions are losing some ground and rightly so....theyve been strongarming cities and towns for years and some of the teachers themselves are fighting with them now

Damn, dude, it's hard to disagree with most of those points, but as Mark Twain might have said, rumours of the labour movement's death have been greatly exaggerated. And the reason is pretty simple. As long as capitalism exists, you're going to have workers and you're going to have bosses. The only way for workers to fight for their own interests in our current system is to unionize. Period.
There are other ways for workers to fight for their interests. There are reasonable laws out there that protect the interests of workers, even without unionization.

So even if unions are weak right now, the pressure of objective events will force workers to work together and fight back. No matter how lousy and corrupt and clueless the current union leadership is, when workers feel the economic pressure they will demand that the union bureaucrats get on the right side of history - their side.
The current union leadership is far too thick headed and far too concerned with their own interests (like keeping their golf courses) to change their ways. The only way to get organized labor in the right track is by completely changing the leadership.

This is basic dialectics: things are constantly changing, and when the internal contradictions in a situation become too much to handle anymore, something can suddenly change into its opposite.

I will say that this...
The system has become far too powerful against organized labor for major change to occur.

...kind of reminds me of Sean Connery in the 1970s saying he would never play James Bond again. Saying union membership will never recover is a bit premature. The only way workers can fight for their rights is to get organized, and that goes for whether you work in a factory or a fast food restaurant.
You can thank the globalized economy and international corporations that will forever prevent the revitalization of organized labor. If a group of new factory workers want to unionize, the owners will just threaten to ship their jobs off to China.

As for lower end jobs like retail and fast food restaurants, they already have that covered by simply closing the place down. Take Wal-Mart for example, when the workers in Jonquiere, Quebec organized, were certified by the Quebec government, and were on the verge of victory, Wal-Mart responded by shutting that location down. After that fiasco, do you think that a government will recognize another union like that again? Hell no! They don't want to be responsible for a mass load of people suddenly losing their jobs. Do you think that McDonalds won't react in the same way?

That and I think that lower end jobs like retail and fast food should not organize to begin with. Unions are really meant to prevent the unethical exploitation of skilled laborers and to provide them with a safe working environment when there are plenty of hazardous conditions. Groups like the AFL-CIO only want employees in Wal-Mart to organize just so they can get their union dues. They don't give a damn about those people and organized labor will just exploit them for their personal and political gain as opposed to genuinely representing them.

But in any case, the notion that Barack Obama is trying to revive union membership in America is so completely removed from reality as to be laughable.
No it's not there's a reason why he wants union membership to be revitalized. An increase in union membership means that there will be a bigger pool of money for him to receive from union leadership.

Did Obama ever fight for labor's #1 priority, the Employee Free Choice Act (which would have made it much easier for workers to unionize)? Of course not!
Yes he did. The problem is that it was killed in Congress by the Republicans and conservative Democrats.

He was happy to take union money during the 2008 election and then stop caring completely as soon as he became president. In this behaviour, he mirrors the Democratic Party as a whole,
Not to sound like a jackass, but well......duh. The Democrats take unions for granted because they know that even though they don't give a damn about blue collar white working class voters anymore, they know that union leadership will still donate heavily to them regardless of how union members feel.

and this is why the unions breaking from the Dems and forming a mass party of labor is such an urgent necessity.
You know, breaking from the Democratic Party would be a great move politically for labor. However,a major hurdle for a labor party is that most blue collar workers in the United States now are turning more and more Republican. Republicans now dominate the governments in blue collar union states like Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin. The West Virginia Democratic Party, is more along the lines of the national Republican Party than the national Democratic Party. And if it weren't for Chicago and New York City, Republicans would probably have control of Illinois and New York as well.

I originally was going to get upset by your description of Obama's "union crony buddies", as some kind of Fox News BS designed to portray Obama as in the hands of those oh-so-powerful labour unions, as opposed to what he really is: in the hands of Wall Street, the big banks and corporate America in general.

Then I realized that there is a degree of truth in what you said; the only problem is that it's more one-way than you describe. Obama is pleased to take money from the unions, and that's it. But the corrupt union leaders are so tied to the Democrats, every election they respond to the Dems' slapping their members in the face with "thank you sir, may I have another?" They're intoxicated by feelings of inflated self-importance, of being "players" in Washington politics, of getting occasional meetings with a president who couldn't give less of a damn about them or labour, and they're happy to be used as campaign tools by the Dems. In short, they're basically like the leaders of every co-opted social democratic party in history. **** the Democrats.

P.S. If you want to continue this discussion, might I suggest moving it to the union thread?
By union crony buddies, I mean more along the lines of union leadership like James P. Hoffa, Bob King, and Richard Trumka, not the actual union laborers. Obama rewards those guys with ownership of GM, trying to get the Employee Free Choice Act, etc. but he doesn't do anything for the actual laborers. It's exactly what you say, he just wants the money involved.

There are other ways for workers to fight for their interests. There are reasonable laws out there that protect the interests of workers, even without unionization.

And how do you think those laws came about in the first place? The political representatives of the bosses didn't give workers pensions, safety laws, collective bargaining rights, child labor laws, the 8-hour work day or the minimum wage out of the goodness of their hearts. All those things were historically fought for by the workers through unions.

Now under the pressure of the economic crisis the ruling class is trying to take back those wages and benefits. Weak unions won't be able to do much to stop it. That's why even if unions are weak now, they will have to either get stronger or perish.

The current union leadership is far too thick headed and far too concerned with their own interests (like keeping their golf courses) to change their ways. The only way to get organized labor in the right track is by completely changing the leadership.

I agree.

The system has become far too powerful against organized labor for major change to occur.

I think that's a pessimistic view. I prefer to take the optimistic viewpoint that things will get better. It's a glass half empty/half full kind of thing.

Seemingly invulnerable, monolithic systems can often crumble suddenly. Look at the Eastern Bloc in 1989, or Tunisia and Egypt in 2011. We can't predict the future.

You can thank the globalized economy and international corporations that will forever prevent the revitalization of organized labor. If a group of new factory workers want to unionize, the owners will just threaten to ship their jobs off to China.

As for lower end jobs like retail and fast food restaurants, they already have that covered by simply closing the place down. Take Wal-Mart for example, when the workers in Jonquiere, Quebec organized, were certified by the Quebec government, and were on the verge of victory, Wal-Mart responded by shutting that location down. After that fiasco, do you think that a government will recognize another union like that again? Hell no! They don't want to be responsible for a mass load of people suddenly losing their jobs. Do you think that McDonalds won't react in the same way?

This is a serious problem. But I think the way to fight this process is not to play the bosses' game and accept this global race to the bottom for cheap labor. Rather, it's for workers to fight back on a world scale. In a sense that's already happening as we speak - in the Arab world, in Greece and Europe, through populist movements in Latin America and the Occupy movement in North America.

We have to remember that the system of economic exploitation in the workplace is directly tied to political exploitation through the government under capitalism. To take a weak version of an alternative, government could regulate against businesses closing because of unionization drives. But that's just trying to compensate for the inherent drive of capitalists to keep wages low (especially in a low-skill industry like fast food). A far better, and in reality the only long-term solution, is for the working class to take companies like Wal-Mart or McDonald's into public ownership and run them democratically.

That and I think that lower end jobs like retail and fast food should not organize to begin with. Unions are really meant to prevent the unethical exploitation of skilled laborers and to provide them with a safe working environment when there are plenty of hazardous conditions.

I don't think we should limit collective bargaining rights only to skilled workers. Somebody's got to do these kinds of jobs and the workers there shouldn't be exploited the way they are now. I would support a unionization drive among fast food workers 100%, in context of the more large-scale, radical political demands I outlined above.

Groups like the AFL-CIO only want employees in Wal-Mart to organize just so they can get their union dues. They don't give a damn about those people and organized labor will just exploit them for their personal and political gain as opposed to genuinely representing them.

That's a cynical view. It is correct at some level. Of course groups like the AFL-CIO would like having more union dues. But I find it hard to believe that's all the union leaders are thinking. People believe their own inner narratives and they usually construct ones sympathetic to themselves. In reality, the union leaders likely want more dues AND want workers to be organized to improve their own lives. Why not? Everybody wins in that thinking (except the bosses).

Whether they would actually represent the workers is a different question altogether. The thing is, at some point even the corrupt union leadership is faced with a demand from management it can't accept without losing all legitimacy. If it does, you get mutiny from within the ranks, from which new leadership eventually emerges. You're thinking of these organizations in calcified, unchanging forms, when in fact the contradictions that exist beneath the surface during periods of calm can suddenly emerge and lead to drastic changes in periods of acute class struggle.

No it's not there's a reason why he wants union membership to be revitalized. An increase in union membership means that there will be a bigger pool of money for him to receive from union leadership.

You need to look at the amount of money Obama received. Check out this table of his top 20 donors in the 2008 election; nowhere on the list do you see a union. The truth is that, while of course the Democrats will gladly accept the unions' money, the value of those contributions pales compared to the far larger amount garnered from wealthy donors, the big banks and other corporations.

Yes he did. The problem is that it was killed in Congress by the Republicans and conservative Democrats.

That's the Obama party line. I think we have different definitions of the word "fight". Obama may have nominally supported the Employee Free Choice Act, but he never spoke about it at great length, never made an issue out of it, never pushed for the legislation. In short, he totally failed to use the power of the "bully pulpit" that a president commands, and that was a conscious decision on his own part. Passing that law simply wasn't a priority for him - or, more to the point, to his biggest campaign donors.

Not to sound like a jackass, but well......duh. The Democrats take unions for granted because they know that even though they don't give a damn about blue collar white working class voters anymore, they know that union leadership will still donate heavily to them regardless of how union members feel.

Exactly, and that's the whole problem. The Democrats take the unions for granted, but the union leadership is too cozy and corrupt to question this arrangement. They'll only start to move when the anger from their rank-and-file members gets so loud that it becomes impossible to ignore and they desperately change tack at the last minute trying to save their own positions.

You know, breaking from the Democratic Party would be a great move politically for labor. However,a major hurdle for a labor party is that most blue collar workers in the United States now are turning more and more Republican. Republicans now dominate the governments in blue collar union states like Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin. The West Virginia Democratic Party, is more along the lines of the national Republican Party than the national Democratic Party. And if it weren't for Chicago and New York City, Republicans would probably have control of Illinois and New York as well.

I'm glad someone here is starting to see the potential benefits of a labor party. But certainly the situation you described is real. This is the fallout of the "Reagan Democrat" phenomenon. Many union members started voting against their own interests during the Reagan era, voting Republican because they were sick of the Democrats' inability to fix the economy, because Reagan offered a more appealing image, but also critically because the long postwar boom had dulled labor's militancy. People forgot how they had to struggle for the benefits they enjoyed: "Yeah, what do we need unions for? We've got good wages, don't we?"

30 years of right-wing propaganda, echoed by the mainstream media, has strengthened Reaganist ideology in the masses. But the Republicans' nakedly anti-worker policies will reveal themselves in people's day-to-day lives, just as the Democrats' will. Eventually, people will have to draw their own conclusions. Unions will become more militant, they might break from the Dems, or else voters will move frantically from one party to the other trying to find someone to solve their problems and anger will erupt in the streets when this fails to happen. In any case, there will be some kind of fight against austerity.

By union crony buddies, I mean more along the lines of union leadership like James P. Hoffa, Bob King, and Richard Trumka, not the actual union laborers. Obama rewards those guys with ownership of GM, trying to get the Employee Free Choice Act, etc. but he doesn't do anything for the actual laborers. It's exactly what you say, he just wants the money involved.

You know, I think we pretty much agree on the problem of the corrupt union leadership. We just disagree over how to get past this problem and obtain better conditions for workers overall.

And how do you think those laws came about in the first place? The political representatives of the bosses didn't give workers pensions, safety laws, collective bargaining rights, child labor laws, the 8-hour work day or the minimum wage out of the goodness of their hearts. All those things were historically fought for by the workers through unions.
They set the wheels in motion, but you can still get reform through other means in today's day and age.

Now under the pressure of the economic crisis the ruling class is trying to take back those wages and benefits. Weak unions won't be able to do much to stop it. That's why even if unions are weak now, they will have to either get stronger or perish.
A lot of corporations have no choice. A lot of manufacturers just can't afford them. A lot of state governments are just flat out broke and don't have the money, the state of Wisconsin can't just print money you know.

I think that's a pessimistic view. I prefer to take the optimistic viewpoint that things will get better. It's a glass half empty/half full kind of thing.
That I think is one of our major differences. I kind of have a more pessimistic, misanthropic view towards things while you tend to take the more optimistic and idealistic view. I honestly admire it.

Seemingly invulnerable, monolithic systems can often crumble suddenly. Look at the Eastern Bloc in 1989, or Tunisia and Egypt in 2011. We can't predict the future.
Changing a political system is vastly different than changing an economic system.

This is a serious problem. But I think the way to fight this process is not to play the bosses' game and accept this global race to the bottom for cheap labor. Rather, it's for workers to fight back on a world scale. In a sense that's already happening as we speak - in the Arab world, in Greece and Europe, through populist movements in Latin America and the Occupy movement in North America.
Except those protests are not protesting against capitalism. Occupy Wall Street is protesting against the excess of the top 1%, they're advocating for a fairer playing field, but they're not calling for a radical change to the economic system. The European and Arab protests are against their governments, not the economy.

We have to remember that the system of economic exploitation in the workplace is directly tied to political exploitation through the government under capitalism. To take a weak version of an alternative, government could regulate against businesses closing because of unionization drives. But that's just trying to compensate for the inherent drive of capitalists to keep wages low (especially in a low-skill industry like fast food). A far better, and in reality the only long-term solution, is for the working class to take companies like Wal-Mart or McDonald's into public ownership and run them democratically.
Wal-Mart and McDonald's are publicly owned. Except those businesses need low wages, they would crumble if their employees got a decent wage. They thrive because their offerings are incredibly cheap to consumers.

I don't think we should limit collective bargaining rights only to skilled workers. Somebody's got to do these kinds of jobs and the workers there shouldn't be exploited the way they are now. I would support a unionization drive among fast food workers 100%, in context of the more large-scale, radical political demands I outlined above.
Low wage, no skill jobs are vastly different than skilled workers. If a low wage worker is unsatisfied with their wages or working conditions, they can just up and leave and find another job with comparable pay and better conditions.

A skilled worker on the other hand, especially in this environment, cannot find another job with comparable pay or better working conditions. They're kinda stuck where they're at unless they're willing to uproot their lives.

That's a cynical view. It is correct at some level. Of course groups like the AFL-CIO would like having more union dues. But I find it hard to believe that's all the union leaders are thinking. People believe their own inner narratives and they usually construct ones sympathetic to themselves. In reality, the union leaders likely want more dues AND want workers to be organized to improve their own lives. Why not? Everybody wins in that thinking (except the bosses).
I really don't see the heads of the AFL-CIO wanting to improve the lives of low wage, no skilled workers. They really don't offer anything to benefit to them because they're already protected by various laws and regulations already in place.

Whether they would actually represent the workers is a different question altogether. The thing is, at some point even the corrupt union leadership is faced with a demand from management it can't accept without losing all legitimacy. If it does, you get mutiny from within the ranks, from which new leadership eventually emerges. You're thinking of these organizations in calcified, unchanging forms, when in fact the contradictions that exist beneath the surface during periods of calm can suddenly emerge and lead to drastic changes in periods of acute class struggle.
Well frankly, if there was going to be any change, it would have already happened. After piss poor leadership led to the UAW bringing GM and Chrysler to their knees (resulting in layoffs), and complete failures of strikes in Hollywood and Verizion, you'd think they would change leadership. But they don't.

You need to look at the amount of money Obama received. Check out this table of his top 20 donors in the 2008 election; nowhere on the list do you see a union. The truth is that, while of course the Democrats will gladly accept the unions' money, the value of those contributions pales compared to the far larger amount garnered from wealthy donors, the big banks and other corporations.
Of course they want the money of the corporate world. But they would really love it if they got even more money from the unions. The reason why you don't see a union on the list is because they just don't have the money to do so anymore due to dwindling union membership.

That's the Obama party line. I think we have different definitions of the word "fight". Obama may have nominally supported the Employee Free Choice Act, but he never spoke about it at great length, never made an issue out of it, never pushed for the legislation. In short, he totally failed to use the power of the "bully pulpit" that a president commands, and that was a conscious decision on his own part. Passing that law simply wasn't a priority for him - or, more to the point, to his biggest campaign donors.
Obama flat out sucks at the bully pulpit. When he uses it, he just comes off as a bitter crybaby who takes no responsibility.

I'm glad someone here is starting to see the potential benefits of a labor party.
I think core Democratic groups like African-Americans and union labor would benefit far more than sticking with the Democratic Party. Same reason why I think it would be better for libertarians to get their act together, break away from the Republican Party, and actually develop a legitimate political movement. Of course libertarians such as myself won't do that :csad:

But certainly the situation you described is real. This is the fallout of the "Reagan Democrat" phenomenon. Many union members started voting against their own interests during the Reagan era, voting Republican because they were sick of the Democrats' inability to fix the economy, because Reagan offered a more appealing image, but also critically because the long postwar boom had dulled labor's militancy. People forgot how they had to struggle for the benefits they enjoyed: "Yeah, what do we need unions for? We've got good wages, don't we?"
I think it's more along the lines of the Democratic Party flat out abandoning the working class white voter in favor of minorities, progressive elitists, environmentalists, and other leftist groups.

30 years of right-wing propaganda, echoed by the mainstream media, has strengthened Reaganist ideology in the masses. But the Republicans' nakedly anti-worker policies will reveal themselves in people's day-to-day lives, just as the Democrats' will. Eventually, people will have to draw their own conclusions. Unions will become more militant, they might break from the Dems, or else voters will move frantically from one party to the other trying to find someone to solve their problems and anger will erupt in the streets when this fails to happen.
Unions are too weak and ineffective to ever become militant. It would have worked if they did it before the collapse of union labor, but it's far too late now.

In any case, there will be some kind of fight against austerity.
Most Americans support austerity.

You know, I think we pretty much agree on the problem of the corrupt union leadership. We just disagree over how to get past this problem and obtain better conditions for workers overall.
Well, this is another one of our core differences. You're pretty much on the far left side of the political spectrum with Communism while I'm on on the far right side with libertarianism. But we do share the same core values such as equality, justice, and whatnot.

They set the wheels in motion, but you can still get reform through other means in today's day and age.

Such as...?

That I think is one of our major differences. I kind of have a more pessimistic, misanthropic view towards things while you tend to take the more optimistic and idealistic view. I honestly admire it.

Thanks man. I really enjoy debating politics with you, even though we have vastly different views. It's always good to hear from an intelligent debater who will keep me on my toes intellectually speaking. :yay:

Changing a political system is vastly different than changing an economic system.

True. But as we saw in Egypt, if you change a political system and it doesn't fix the underlying economic grievances, you're still going to have problems.

Except those protests are not protesting against capitalism. Occupy Wall Street is protesting against the excess of the top 1%, they're advocating for a fairer playing field, but they're not calling for a radical change to the economic system. The European and Arab protests are against their governments, not the economy.

Depends which protesters you talk to. Some hate capitalism and think we need an entirely new system. Others believe the system can be reformed. As many media commentators have noted, you can't really pigeonhole these protests under one set of demands.

The European and Arab protests may be against the governments, but no one can seriously argue economic factors had nothing to do with it. In Greece in particular, the political crisis and the economic crisis are one and the same.

Wal-Mart and McDonald's are publicly owned. Except those businesses need low wages, they would crumble if their employees got a decent wage. They thrive because their offerings are incredibly cheap to consumers.

Right, they would crumble as capitalist enterprises, but not necessarily as public enterprises. But realize that companies like Wal-Mart and McDonald's would become completely unrecognizable from their current incarnations if they were nationalized.

Low wage, no skill jobs are vastly different than skilled workers. If a low wage worker is unsatisfied with their wages or working conditions, they can just up and leave and find another job with comparable pay and better conditions.

Not in this economy.

A skilled worker on the other hand, especially in this environment, cannot find another job with comparable pay or better working conditions. They're kinda stuck where they're at unless they're willing to uproot their lives.

This is a big problem, and you are right that this is probably harder for skilled workers.

I really don't see the heads of the AFL-CIO wanting to improve the lives of low wage, no skilled workers. They really don't offer anything to benefit to them because they're already protected by various laws and regulations already in place.

Those laws aren't necessarily going to stay there forever, especially as businesses in the recession come under more pressure to increase productivity.

Well frankly, if there was going to be any change, it would have already happened. After piss poor leadership led to the UAW bringing GM and Chrysler to their knees (resulting in layoffs), and complete failures of strikes in Hollywood and Verizion, you'd think they would change leadership. But they don't.

You can't blame the failures of the auto companies on the UAW. Otherwise, yeah, this is pretty depressing. My only basis for optimism is the belief that this can't go on forever - that sooner or later, the crummy union leadership will have to be replaced.

Obama flat out sucks at the bully pulpit. When he uses it, he just comes off as a bitter crybaby who takes no responsibility.

Hahaha...no disagreement there. :pal:

I think core Democratic groups like African-Americans and union labor would benefit far more than sticking with the Democratic Party. Same reason why I think it would be better for libertarians to get their act together, break away from the Republican Party, and actually develop a legitimate political movement. Of course libertarians such as myself won't do that :csad:

Debating American politics lately, I get somewhat depressed whenever I see people who are unable to think beyond the two party system. The structure of the U.S. government is really brilliant in the way it gives people the illusion of choice while ensuring that the same vested interests retain ultimate control.

I think it's more along the lines of the Democratic Party flat out abandoning the working class white voter in favor of minorities, progressive elitists, environmentalists, and other leftist groups.

This was one of the biggest failures of the New Left in the 1960s, and the Democratic Party in the decades after. Identity politics is a total dead end, and I'm hoping that the American left will return to its working class roots. There were some hopeful signs during the Occupy movement: instead of youth and workers at odds like in the 60s, these groups have lately been able to make common cause.

Unions are too weak and ineffective to ever become militant. It would have worked if they did it before the collapse of union labor, but it's far too late now.

I turn for solace in the idea that, having hit rock bottom, there's nowhere else to go but up.

Most Americans support austerity.

Nah, that's crazy. Nobody wants their own standard of living to decline. If you're looking at polls that say that, it's because people accept the abstract idea of austerity because they've been told over and over by politicians and the media that this is the only way to deal with the country's economic problems.

Well, this is another one of our core differences. You're pretty much on the far left side of the political spectrum with Communism while I'm on on the far right side with libertarianism. But we do share the same core values such as equality, justice, and whatnot.

:highfive:

I find myself making common cause with conservatives a lot these days. It's often less frustrating than talking to liberals, who see every problem in terms of them being smart and everybody else being stupid.

If Ron Paul does well in the primaries, we might have some very interesting future discussions, my friend.

Such as...?
People have voted for ballot initiatives on raising minimum wage and government departments have constantly updated safety standards without union pressure.

True. But as we saw in Egypt, if you change a political system and it doesn't fix the underlying economic grievances, you're still going to have problems.
Very true. It's one of Obama's biggest problems. He inherited a bad economy but because he failed to fix it in the voters eyes, he has a lot of trouble ahead.

Depends which protesters you talk to. Some hate capitalism and think we need an entirely new system. Others believe the system can be reformed. As many media commentators have noted, you can't really pigeonhole these protests under one set of demands.
You can't but there is a core root that unites these protests. The primary root is the government sponsorship about the excesses of Wall Street all while the middle and lower classes continue to struggle. I think that no matter what side of the political spectrum we fall on, whether you're a part of the right or left wing, or believe in capitalism or Communism, most people are rightfully angry about Wall Street executives profiting off of the government bailouts due to their mistakes and bad investments.

However, the problem with Occupy Wall Street is that they just didn't focus on that one demand. The movement ended up getting plagued by social anarchists, hoodlums, people showing up just to protest for no reason (like my idiot sister), and being a nuisance to the people living in the area. It's a damn shame because Occupy Wall Street had a lot of potential to make some real changes.

The European and Arab protests may be against the governments, but no one can seriously argue economic factors had nothing to do with it. In Greece in particular, the political crisis and the economic crisis are one and the same.
While the Greek political and economic crises are one and the same, the problem lies with Greece's government being so inept and incompetent along with the European Union allowing members to break the rules with no consequences, not the economic system.

The whole cause of this crisis lies within bad politics.

Right, they would crumble as capitalist enterprises, but not necessarily as public enterprises. But realize that companies like Wal-Mart and McDonald's would become completely unrecognizable from their current incarnations if they were nationalized.
They shouldn't be nationalized to begin with. Government bureaucracy would just bog them down and thus raise prices thus driving people away from what makes the appealing to begin with.

Not in this economy.
Yes it is. I guarantee that if a minimum wage worker was dissatisfied with their job due to bad conditions or a bad boss or whatever, they can very easily find another minimum wage job. And chances are that it will have better conditions. Minimum wage jobs are actually quite plentiful in the United States.

This is a big problem, and you are right that this is probably harder for skilled workers.
Trying to find jobs for skilled workers is one of the biggest problems in the job market in the United States.

Those laws aren't necessarily going to stay there forever, especially as businesses in the recession come under more pressure to increase productivity.
Businesses aren't allowed to just break the law, even under the pressure to increase productivity. And it is very unlikely that most laws and regulations will end up going away.

You can't blame the failures of the auto companies on the UAW. Otherwise, yeah, this is pretty depressing. My only basis for optimism is the belief that this can't go on forever - that sooner or later, the crummy union leadership will have to be replaced.
The UAW's unwillingness to budge on anything was a huge problem for GM, Ford, and Chrysler. Take a look at how well non-unionized car corporations like Toyota are doing due to lower labor costs.

However, it certainly isn't the only problem. Another huge problem was that the American car companies were just dragging along putting out mediocre products all while Toyota and other foreign car companies were innovating and putting out quality products. This is how capitalism works. Companies like GM, Ford, and Chrysler were punished for mediocrity while Toyota was rewarded with the business (and dollars) of consumers.

Debating American politics lately, I get somewhat depressed whenever I see people who are unable to think beyond the two party system. The structure of the U.S. government is really brilliant in the way it gives people the illusion of choice while ensuring that the same vested interests retain ultimate control.
It really isn't a flaw in the structure of the U.S. government. The reason why we have a two party system is because both the Republican and Democratic Parties are constantly evolving and thus prevent other parties to grow. The two parties saw the appeal in the Progressive Party, the Populist Party, the States Right's Democratic Party, and whatnot and absorbed their platforms, thus making them pointless.

This was one of the biggest failures of the New Left in the 1960s, and the Democratic Party in the decades after. Identity politics is a total dead end, and I'm hoping that the American left will return to its working class roots. There were some hopeful signs during the Occupy movement: instead of youth and workers at odds like in the 60s, these groups have lately been able to make common cause.
Based on the way the Obama re-election campaign is running, I don't see that happening. The Democratic Party is reinforcing their efforts on becoming the party of youths, minorities, and elitist progressives, along with buying into the absurd notion that just because someone is college educated, they'll automatically vote Democrat.

It's a doomed goal.

I turn for solace in the idea that, having hit rock bottom, there's nowhere else to go but up.
I don't think the union movement has hit rock bottom just yet. And I don't think that they can recover at this rate.

Nah, that's crazy. Nobody wants their own standard of living to decline. If you're looking at polls that say that, it's because people accept the abstract idea of austerity because they've been told over and over by politicians and the media that this is the only way to deal with the country's economic problems.
Americans support cutting spending on wasteful programs, they support getting rid of the deficit and lowering the debt. The question pretty much lies on how? Because while Americans support cutting spending, they don't like the idea of cutting the military budget or whenever entitlement reform comes up it gets twisted by the Democrats as attempts to get rid of such programs.

:highfive:

I find myself making common cause with conservatives a lot these days. It's often less frustrating than talking to liberals, who see every problem in terms of them being smart and everybody else being stupid.
That is the biggest problem with the American Left these days IMO. It really isn't their ideology or icons, but more along the lines of the perception of them looking down upon everyone that doesn't agree with them.

If Ron Paul does well in the primaries, we might have some very interesting future discussions, my friend.
I don't think that Ron Paul is end up going to do that well anymore :csad:. The GOP is making Iowa voters afraid that if Ron Paul wins, he'll make their state irrelevant. I firmly believe that the GOP primaries are going to be over and done with very quickly. To take a page from Kent Brockman, I for one welcome our new Mormon overlord :dry:

Hippie, waiting for legislation for everything related to to your working conditions takes a long time and not everyone is astute on the law as you might think. This is why big corporations have teams of lawyers revising these laws. The regular working individual can't afford that.

Last edited:
You still can't break the damn law and states like New York and California pretty much always tell businesses to go **** themselves in regards to regulations.

You still can't break the damn law and states like New York and California pretty much always tell businesses to go **** themselves in regards to regulations.

Those laws did nothing to cover employee benefits such as pensions and health care. Those had to be negotiated (mostly through union effort).

I have a mixed opinion on unions...I think for education they're no good. If anything, I think teachers should be held to higher standards and be expected to compete. My parents are both teachers and they admit that many teachers just meet the minimum standards and don't deserve tenure because they're not doing a great job of educating. However, I think Unions are more important for the manufacturing sector and jobs that involve physical labor. Maybe they got out of hand in the 80's, but I don't think the right answer was to outsource a whole sector of the economy. It all comes down to insuring workers' rights, but I think the key should be that companies need to promise workers good pay and benefits, Union or not. For example, Shell Oil is creating tons of jobs here in TX and employers get all the benefits they need, plus a great salary as long as the employee can put up with physically exhausting work. Unfortunately, not all employers are like shell or Toyota(whose employees are treated well at various plants in the U.S.), but if they were we wouldn't need Unions to micromanage.

I like how I, as a school janitor in Ohio, make less than $30,000 a year, have taken enough pay cuts that I make less now than I did when I was hired 3 years ago, have recently been made to pay a higher percentage on my insurance, and am now on a 3 year pay freeze... am holding the community hostage and must be put in my place. I'd like to see Kasich make what I may and then say with a straight face that he should be made to give a little more.

And yet you are making about $15,000 more than our janitors here in Texas, THAT now pay more for their insurance, are on a 3 year pay freeze. Seems like you are doing pretty damn good.

How much did you pay into your insurance before Kasich?

I have a mixed opinion on unions...I think for education they're no good. If anything, I think teachers should be held to higher standards and be expected to compete. My parents are both teachers and they admit that many teachers just meet the minimum standards and don't deserve tenure because they're not doing a great job of educating. However, I think Unions are more important for the manufacturing sector and jobs that involve physical labor. Maybe they got out of hand in the 80's, but I don't think the right answer was to outsource a whole sector of the economy. It all comes down to insuring workers' rights, but I think the key should be that companies need to promise workers good pay and benefits, Union or not. For example, Shell Oil is creating tons of jobs here in TX and employers get all the benefits they need, plus a great salary as long as the employee can put up with physically exhausting work. Unfortunately, not all employers are like shell or Toyota(whose employees are treated well at various plants in the U.S.), but if they were we wouldn't need Unions to micromanage.

You know, if more children and their parents were held to a higher standard, schools would be that much better. I think that's the real problem here and not teachers and their salaries.

You know, if more children and their parents were held to a higher standard, schools would be that much better. I think that's the real problem here and not teachers and their salaries.

I actually have to agree with you here. While teachers unions are a problem in their defense of bad teachers, it's not like most teachers are bad or that teachers (at least in New York State where I live) are highly compensated.

The real core root of the problem is exactly what you say.

Yeah, and that's almost a problem with our culture itself. People don't realize it, but modern technologies, media, and a consumer culture(among other things) have really led to a massive disinterest/disservice for education in the current generation of many students and their parents. For example, teachers spend tons of time confiscating cell phones. Or developmentally, children aren't developing speech skills because their parents are constantly texting and they don't pick up on any actual phone conversations where they can learn new words and speech skills. Plus, many parents don't see the value in education because they may only have a high school diploma themselves. However, it's also a problem that education is over-emphasized to children through No Child Left Behind and now students, parents, and Americans in general have forgotten that some people are better suited to jobs that aren't information and technology based. Manufacturing jobs will probably come back to the US, and hopefully many people can realize that students don't all have to learn pre-calculus in High School to make a decent living.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"