Discussion: Labor, Unions, and Workers' Rights

This is interesting to me. I have been in on bargaining strategy; from holding local workplace meetings to establish bargaining priorities, to setting up elections for bargaining team members, to heading up contract negotiations for a bargaining unit of over 8,000 members and I can tell you that there are always things you keep in your back pocket.

Contract negotiations aren't about what is right or what is wrong. It's about exerting pressure. I would, and have, done just about everything to get my members the best contract possible. When it came to getting my members the best deal, being a nice, honorable guy wasn't part of my program.

I'm a tech guy and I was the fly on the wall. I knew what you wanted when you said you wanted it. I was in your offices and going through your info. Other than the broad strokes, you didn't know S*** about what I really wanted or needed. I got my members who were getting S*** on the best deal at the expense of our better paid members because I convinced them it was the right thing to do and that it would benefit all of us long term.

You didn't understand that we worked for each other because you worked for yourself and didn't know there was something bigger than you. It took more time than we wanted, but we had you from the start and we eventually got what we wanted and needed. We beat you at your own, stupid game because we had each other's backs.

xoxoxo
The Union

giphy.gif

Under Pressure

Unionize Twitter. :funny:

Musk would have a stroke, but he's doing everything he can to lay the groundwork.

Are there even enough Twitter employees left to unionize?

CNBC - Biden releasing nearly $36 billion to aid pensions of union workers
  • President Joe Biden on Thursday is announcing the infusion of nearly $36 billion to prevent severe cuts to the retirement incomes of more than 350,000 Teamster workers and retirees across the United States.
  • The money for the Central States Pension Fund is the largest amount of federal aid provided for a pension plan.
  • The funds come from the American Rescue Plan, a $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package signed into law in 2021.
The Guardian (U.K.) - New York Times journalists in mass strike for first time in 40 years

I wonder if Rand Paul was one of the yeses who backed out.

The airlines aren't making enough billions in profit.

We usually, on many issues, are stuck between a third favoring one priority, a third another, and another third torn between the two so much they won't pick one, at least publicly, interesting that here there is some significant though relatively small edge to the more progressive third increased to 39% and the conservative stuck at 33% (though who knows what the other 28% really feels closer to).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"