Federal minimum wage to rise on Tuesday

SoulManX

The Inspector!
Reaction score
By Jesse J. Holland, AP Labor Writer | July 21, 2007
WASHINGTON --Fast-food waitress Fawn Townsend of Raleigh, N.C., knows exactly what she is going to do if her salary goes up with Tuesday's increase in the federal minimum wage: start saving for a car so she can find a second job to make ends meet.

"My goal personally is to get a vehicle so I can independently go back and forth to work and maybe pick up extra work so I can have that extra income, because minimum wage is not cutting it," said Townsend, who is 24 and single.
"Being a single person, you can't pay all your bills with one minimum wage job."
Many lawmakers, along with advocates for low-wage workers, are celebrating the first increase in the federal minimum wage in a decade. Yet many acknowledge that raising it from $5.15 an hour to $5.85 will provide only meager help for some of the lowest paid workers.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/w.../07/21/federal_minimum_wage_rising_this_week/

Wow, I'm sure that all the working poor will be able to afford to get out of their pathetic conditions because of the extra forty-three cents that the government has so kindly made the companies give them. Way to step up there government.

Wow, I'm sure that all the working poor will be able to afford to get out of their pathetic conditions because of the extra forty-three cents that the government has so kindly made the companies give them. Way to step up there government.
well said.

Better than zip nothing:ninja:

you are ******ed if you work for minimum wage. go get a new job. if thats what you are earning, ever think thats all you deserve?

you are ******ed if you work for minimum wage. go get a new job. if thats what you are earning, ever think thats all you deserve?

1. You're an idiot
  2. ******ed people deserve a good job too

For some americans that is the best they can do.

haha, yay.

I get to go from $5.20. And seeing that I work so many hours, I'll get like 5 extra bucks.... woot! :D

:whatever:

Congrats to the working poor, don't spend it all in one spot. :o

In less than a year, this raise in minimum wage will be washed away by increased cost of living. Which will be further sped up by the increase in minimum wage; just how to you think companies are going to cover the increased cost in labor.

God forbide the Government think outside the box and find a solution, instead of slapping a band-aid on it.

No one deserves to be exploited.

Not even *****ebags who think everyone has the same opportunities and choices readily available to them.

No one deserves to be exploited.

Not even *****ebags who think everyone has the same opportunities and choices readily available to them.

While I agree with you, don't you think people should be expected to better the station and not use their starting point as a crutch.

In Connecticut I think we're at $7.50 minimum wage or so no effect here.

I work at a movie theater and this will be my second raise. My first raise came from the company after my evaluation, this will be my second one now as I'll be making 6.10 an hour.

All the hours I've been working will look nice on the paycheck. :up: :up:

I work at a movie theater and this will be my second raise. My first raise came from the company after my evaluation, this will be my second one now as I'll be making 6.10 an hour.

All the hours I've been working will look nice on the paycheck. :up: :up:

Congrads:yay:

Agreed, IMO the minimum wage should be $7.50

While I agree with you, don't you think people should be expected to better the station and not use their starting point as a crutch.

It's not always about where you begin. Some people do the best they can with their mind and body and still can't find a better job. If you work hard, you should get a decent wage to support yourself. Especially if you live in the richest country in the world. :o

I'm sure they're are people who would lower the minimum wage to 1 dollar if it meant increasing their own personal wealth. Who cares if it hurts the least fortunate among us?

But if someone is in their 40's and still flipping burgers, whose fault is that

So they don't have enough for rent, but they have enough for the cable, internet access, and a couple video game systems thrown in, plus a good sized collection of DVDs, CDs, comic books, and a subscription to a few magazines.

And a fridge stocked with nothing but beer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"