Discussion: Labor, Unions, and Workers' Rights

NY Times - Justice Department Said to Investigate Ticketmaster’s Parent Company
The inquiry predates the botched presale of Taylor Swift tickets this week and is said to focus on whether Live Nation has abused its power in the live music industry.

I think a lot of artists are afraid of speaking disparagingly of them because they hold all the cards and money where they make you or break you. Their power and hold has gotten worse since the large shift of money in the industry from album sales like pre-Napster to touring and live events.

Swift has only passive-agressively referred to them (not by name) and the current situation (she's being paid by them just like the rest.)

Good Morning America - Taylor Swift breaks silence on Ticketmaster drama for Eras Tour

Last edited:

I worked with those grad students on a lot of joint union activities while I was at the University of California and they have a LOT of clout. Their work literally makes the University go. Their biggest downside is that, as grad students, they have a very high turnover. That being said, they are, almost to a person, very, very. bright, committed with a lot of leadership qualities and haven't had much problems recruiting new leadership.

One of the best groups of people I've ever had the pleasure of working with.

Fortune - CEOs who miss the old ways of work are watching Elon Musk’s ‘hardcore’ tactics with glee
“I think every successful CEO, including myself, is tired of all the whining."

It’s all part of the “do-gooder fatigue” that some bosses are experiencing, an executive headhunter told The Financial Times: These days, ”the feeling is, we need to get back to business.”

'Back in my day we could exploit workers and they'd shut up about it. We could sexually harass all the women into sleeping with us and nobody had to find out about it. Wah.'

Bloomberg News - US Corporate Profits Soar With Margins at Widest Since 1950 (August 2022)

CEOs make A LOT more than their workers and to them it is still not enough.

Fast Company - CEOs now make 399 times more than the average worker (October 2022)
CEO pay continues to spike, according to a new report from the Economic Policy Institute. In 2021, the average CEO earned $27.8 million.

Last edited:
Starbucks is promoting how amazing it is to work there... Something tells me they're trying to replace their union workers.

Starbucks is promoting how amazing it is to work there... Something tells me they're trying to replace their union workers.
I can't see a situation where being a coffee batista is "amazing". Pay can make it tolerable maybe, but not amazing.

I can't see a situation where being a coffee batista is "amazing". Pay can make it tolerable maybe, but not amazing.
With their crazy good benefits and great healthcare plans, Starbucks is there to help you and your family.

Should we guarantee large businesses to ensure part time workers get paid sick leave?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"