Disney Buys Marvel!

Keyser Soze

AW YEEEAH!
Reaction score
This came as a surprise! :wow:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22747

Disney Acquires Marvel Entertainment

Official Press Release

Worldwide leader in family entertainment agrees to acquire Marvel and its portfolio of over 5,000 characters

BURBANK, Calif. & NEW YORK, Aug 31, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- --Acquisition highlights Disney's strategic focus on quality branded content, technological innovation and international expansion to build long-term shareholder value

Building on its strategy of delivering quality branded content to people around the world, The Walt Disney Company (DIS) has agreed to acquire Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (MVL) in a stock and cash transaction, the companies announced today.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney on August 28, 2009, Marvel shareholders would receive a total of $30 per share in cash plus approximately 0.745 Disney shares for each Marvel share they own. At closing, the amount of cash and stock will be adjusted if necessary so that the total value of the Disney stock issued as merger consideration based on its trading value at that time is not less than 40% of the total merger consideration.

Based on the closing price of Disney stock on Friday, August 28, the transaction value is $50 per Marvel share or approximately $4 billion.

"This transaction combines Marvel's strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four and Thor with Disney's creative skills, unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties, and a business structure that maximizes the value of creative properties across multiple platforms and territories," said Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "Ike Perlmutter and his team have done an impressive job of nurturing these properties and have created significant value. We are pleased to bring this talent and these great assets to Disney."

"We believe that adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation," Iger said.

"Disney is the perfect home for Marvel's fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses," said Ike Perlmutter, Marvel's Chief Executive Officer. "This is an unparalleled opportunity for Marvel to build upon its vibrant brand and character properties by accessing Disney's tremendous global organization and infrastructure around the world."

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Marvel including its more than 5,000 Marvel characters. Mr. Perlmutter will oversee the Marvel properties, and will work directly with Disney's global lines of business to build and further integrate Marvel's properties.

The Boards of Directors of Disney and Marvel have each approved the transaction, which is subject to clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, certain non-United States merger control regulations, effectiveness of a registration statement with respect to Disney shares issued in the transaction and other customary closing conditions. The agreement will require the approval of Marvel shareholders. Marvel was advised on the transaction by BofA Merrill Lynch.

*thinks to last great thing by Disney*

We're doomed.

Didn't see that coming.

Be interested to see how this affects Marvel's operations, if at all (they already have an independent film studio, for example; of course, given the types of movies Marvel Studios makes, they'll probably be fine with continuing a separate brand).

At the very least, this has the potential to lead to better animated productions with Marvel characters.

HAHA
well i guess we wont see the punisher blowing away people instead he will break into singing "Hakuna-ma-tata!"
:cwink:

I reeeeeally don't know how to take this. Part of me wants to say "hey, Marvel's getting far away from the threat of bankruptcy it was once at." The other half looks at Disney acquiring characters like the Punisher and Deadpool and wonders if or how this is gonna effect Marvel's storytelling in the long rung.

...Also, I'm not looking forward to Kingdom Hearts 3 with Spider-Man zipping around.

I'm starting to wonder if a future storyline will see Doctor Doom kill Bambi's mother.

Well, at least Quesada's opining about a future in animation in recent interviews makes more sense.

If Disney leaves Marvel alone to operate as it has and simply provides funding for lower selling books in order to keep characters in the public eye and then to use for cartoons/toys/lunchboxes, then I'm all for it...

We might finally get to see that Donald Duck/Howard the Duck team-up... :up:

However, if Disney interferes with Marvel's storytelling business (I know it can be bad at times), then I'm afraid it might be over...

:csad:

I think this is gonna be bad. My greatest fear is Disney coming in and getting rid of any adult themes and making everything Marvel Adventures style, guest starring Mickey Mouse!

Hopefully, Marvel can still run things as they want to and Disney leaves them alone, like Time Warner does with DC.

*fingers crossed* Please don't let this be the end of Marvel.

Okay... confused... What part of Marvel did they buy? The movie part? The Comic part? The cartoon part?

I think they accidentally the whole thing.

Not sure I like this, Disney has screw up other projects

I'm apprehensive about it. When I think of Disney and superheroes, I think, "Disney's the company that moved Power Rangers to New Zealand and pared its budget down to almost nothing because they knew kids would watch it whether they did a good job or not." But it's entirely possible that Disney will simply leave Marvel to its own devices in the publishing arena. Maybe we'll get a new Disney comics line at the most. (Although, wasn't Boom doing a lot of Disney/Pixar comics? I wonder how this will affect them.)

Disney? Does this mean no more R-rated Punisher films in the near future?

I'm having a depressing time thinking which Marvel super hero will be the first to be played by a Jonas Brother.

You know it's going to happen :csad:

Maybe the new Incredibles comic will move to Marvel...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Actually, just because Disney owns Marvel doesn't necessarily mean that they have to publish their own characters through Marvel... though it wouldn't make sense if they didn't...

The only good I can see coming from this is maybe they'll now force them to undo the deal Spider-Man made with the devil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"