Disney Purchases LucasFilm, Confirms Star Wars: Episode VII

This all sounds like a dream come true.

Thank you evil mega corporation. :up:

Whedon would be great. I'm not crazy on Spielberg. Give him a realistic movie and he is a screen god. Give him a sci fi movie (judging by the Jurassic Park films) and he turns them into mindless entertainment.

Yes, I know he directed E.T. and Close Encounters, but look at how much he has changed in that time.

I cant say I know the other directors.
Um, Jurassic Park is hardly sci-fi. At least compared to something like SW.

A much better, much more recent example would be Minority Report, which I think was by far his best directorial effort since SPR.

I've been intrigued by the prospect of a Spielberg directed star wars film since I found out that he, Francis Ford Coppola and Ron Howard were each in line to direct one of the prequels. but yeah if any one of the directors on that list got the gig I'd be excited about it, especially Aronofsky or Whedon.

I'm pretty sure I might actually cry if Whedon got the job.

Out of horror, not happiness. The man is talentless. :o

::squints dramatically at sarcasm smiley:: I'm watchin' you, smiley face.

No, I'm being entirely serious. I don't respect him as a filmmaker in the slightest.

then don't put a sarcasm emoticon at the end of your post. also, couldn't disagree more.

Are you seriously giving me an attitude over my use of the BJ smiley? :confused:

didn't mean for it to come off with any type of attitude, just curious as to what exactly you meant to convey with it in that instance lol.

I generally use it whenever I say something that anyone might disagree with. :o

All of the other directorial choices are strong though. I like Cuaron best myself.

Plus, I dunno, it seems like it'd be pretty unlikely that they coud have Whedon direct two billion dollar+ movies in the same year. Especially with them being just 2 and a half years away.

I love the idea of Alfonso Curon, granted the only film of his I've seen is Prisoner of Azkaban, which happens to be my favorite film of the HP series. I'm trying to picture how his style would work with the star wars universe, I doubt Disney would want to deviate too far off the original aesthetic, didn't one of those articles say that they wanted to bring it back to the OT in terms or tone?

Man, you need to see Children of Men. It's light in story, but goddamn does it have some of the best direction and cinematography I've ever seen.

Whedon would be great. I'm not crazy on Spielberg. Give him a realistic movie and he is a screen god. Give him a sci fi movie (judging by the Jurassic Park films) and he turns them into mindless entertainment.

Yes, I know he directed E.T. and Close Encounters, but look at how much he has changed in that time.

I cant say I know the other directors.

Neil Blomkamp was the director of District 9.

Alfonso Cuarón directorial credits include Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and Children of Men.

Matthew Vaughn was the director of Kick-Ass and X-Men: First Class.

And Darren Arnofsky's directorial credits include Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, and The Wrestler.

Last edited:
Man, you need to see Children of Men. It's light in story, but goddamn does it have some of the best direction and cinematography I've ever seen.

I certainly want to see it, it's just a matter of getting a hold of it, I think I saw bits and pieces of one of his Spanish language films, I think it was Rudo Y Cursi. Didn't see enough of it to really zero in on the directing though.

There's one scene in Chilren of Men that features like a 16 minute continuous shot. During a Saving Private Ryan-esque exterior and interior firefight. It's CGI'd, of course, but still unlike anything anyone else is doing in Hollywood.

Neil Blomkamp was the director of District 9.

Alfonso Cuarón directorial credits include Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and Children of Men.

Matthew Vaughn was the director of Kick-Ass and X-Men: First Class.

And Darren Arnofsky's directorial credits include Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, and The Wrestler.

Don't forget Cuaron's upcoming movie, Gravity.

I'm pretty sure I might actually cry if Whedon got the job.

Out of horror, not happiness. The man is talentless. :o

otacon-and-snake-handshake.gif

Whedon is not a good choice, imo. His style is simply not a good fit. I'd be down for another sci-fi film from him, because I loved Serenity, but not a Star wars film.

Cuaron could pull off a pretty amazing Star Wars film.

I was just thinking (yes, yes!), wouldn't it be more fun if the reverse had happened? Lucas purchases Disney?
YOU ARE MY SON, MICKEY...
Goofy could play Chewie...
Later on McScrooge gets split in half by a light saber and...all the six years old in the theater start to cry as blood gushes all over...

Well, there could be a problem with Disney releasing restored prints of the original trilogy. According to the Hollywood Reporter:

Disney will own and release future films in the Star Wars series (as for potential Indiana Jones films, Paramount retains some distribution rights and future movies will only be made if both Paramount and Disney agree on terms). Lucas apparently has sketched out plans for three more Star Wars films -- he always envisioned making nine -- with Episode Seven set for release in 2015. But Fox owns distribution rights to the original Star Wars, No. 4 in the series, in perpetuity in all media worldwide. And as for the five subsequent movies, Fox has theatrical, nontheatrical and home video rights worldwide through May 2020.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541

Last edited:
Maybe Disney could work out a deal. They successfully made one with Paramount with Marvel.

Whedon is not a good choice, imo. His style is simply not a good fit. I'd be down for another sci-fi film from him, because I loved Serenity, but not a Star wars film.

Cuaron could pull off a pretty amazing Star Wars film.

Actually Whedon would be great but he's tied up with Avengers 2. Cauron might be passable.

It's amazing that whenever some geek movie franchise pops up everyone is NOLAN! WHEDON! Jesus, is there no imagination amongst us?

It's the short term memory that some..or most fans have. They immediately think of whoever is recent and big. Remember when District 9 came out and everybody wanted Neil to direct EVERYTHING? Same with Del Toro and Matt Reeves.

I still want Del Toro to direct everything, unfortunately, so does Del Toro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"