J. J. Abrams to write and direct Star Wars: Episode IX

MagnarTheGreat

Web Ninja
Reaction score
J.J. Abrams, who launched a new era of Star Wars with The Force Awakens in 2015, is returning to complete the sequel trilogy as writer and director of Star Wars: Episode IX. Abrams will co-write the film with Chris Terrio. Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Abrams, Bad Robot, and Lucasfilm.

“With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy,” said Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy.

http://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abrams-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-ix

Genuinely didn't see that coming. I love TFA, but this means the same problem exists with me when Johnson was a possibility-- One movie will stand out from the pack as being different from the others.

But hell, I'm a JJ fan. Bring it on.

Well, folks, place your bets on what year Star Wars will be rebooted. I'm going with 2024.

Originality and explanation just took a hit. Mystery boxing elements for Episode X, XI, and XII are possible.

The writer from and Argo and more importantly Batman vs. Superman is also onboard. That was awful as a piece of character and plot writing. I gave that movie a 3 out of 10.

Not very pleased.

At least Rey was ok with the most focus minus the whole not telling the audience enough about the character like should have been done in VII.

I love JJ so I'm not disappointed. I think LucasFilm needs to think about things though as it seems like only two directors have been able to work through how they do things.

This is fantastic news. JJ Abrams is an amazing storyteller and he will definitely take the Star Wars franchise into the future. Excited to hear this.

J. J. Abrams: “I’d be lying if I said there weren’t pangs of regret [about not directing Episode VIII]. Particularly when I realize I won’t get to say ‘Action!’ to Daisy Ridley, or get to work with Mark Hamill in a scene where he gets to speak.” (November 22, 2016)

Well, folks, place your bets on what year Star Wars will be rebooted. I'm going with 2024.

Hmm, I can't really judge when it will be rebooted, but I agree that it's guaranteed to happen at some point in the next decade or so.

Hmm, I can't really judge when it will be rebooted, but I agree that it's guaranteed to happen at some point in the next decade or so.

You and Kenneth must be the same person

Star Wars should never get rebooted. Just keep making new trilogies.

Why exactly would they reboot? I'm curious now.

Because according to Grootster and Kenneth (possibly the same person) since JJ is returning for 9 Star Wars is now dead. They both said #RIPStarWars when they heard the news today.

Haha well you can be sure you're deep in the fan bubble when people can't even comprehend multiple people recognizing the problems with the property.

You said it. I'm amazed how many people buy this stuff up without even questioning it. At this point they could hire Abrams to make a remake of the Holiday Special and half the fanbase would be bowing at his feet proclaiming him to be the king of filmmaking.

Star Wars should never get rebooted. Just keep making new trilogies.

Would Star Wars Episode 26 have the same dignity to it, or would it just become a joke by then? Even if they get their act together and make good sequels, I really don't want to see them pump these out indefinitely. Three trilogies is plenty, any more than that will become overkill and become a joke regardless of quality.

That much being said, I also don't want the series to be rebooted. Just stick to making spinoffs, but create some new characters and stop recycling people like Han Solo and Yoda (I doubt this will happen though.)

Because eventually they'll exhaust their ideas and a reboot will be the only option. They can't pump out sequels indefinitely without it becoming stale and comical ("I'm going to see Star Wars Episode 52"), and they don't have the guts to make spinoffs about characters outside of popular people from the OT (which they'll run out of eventually).

You said it. I'm amazed how many people buy this stuff up without even questioning it. At this point they could hire Abrams to make a remake of the Holiday Special and half the fanbase would be bowing at his feet proclaiming him to be the king of filmmaking.
This is the part that really makes me laugh.

Honestly, before TFA came out, if someone told them it was going to be a beat-for-beat remake of A New Hope except for ruining every character brought back from the original trilogy...they would have said you were trolling and that Disney would never do something so dumb. Since then, they've had...

extensive reshoots for Rogue One and it lands to a very lackluster reception anyway

directors fired seven months into filming, something unprecendented in the history of blockbuster film

cancelled long-running cartoon series and replaced it with show universally agreed to be of lower quality

the locked-in director for the final film replaced by director notorious for poorly finishing things

hired the co-writer of Batman v Superman, the biggest box office flop in years

...and MUCH more!

But somehow these guys are just as hyped as they were before TFA, the brand isn't suffering whatsoever and anyone who notices the problems is a troll. lol

Honestly, before TFA came out, if someone told them it was going to be a beat-for-beat remake of A New Hope except for ruining every character brought back from the original trilogy...they would have said you were trolling and that Disney would never do something so dumb. Since then, they've had...

extensive reshoots for Rogue One and it lands to a very lackluster reception anyway

directors fired seven months into filming, something unprecendented in the history of blockbuster film

cancelled long-running cartoon series and replaced it with show universally agreed to be of lower quality

the locked-in director for the final film replaced by director notorious for poorly finishing things

...and MUCH more!

But somehow these guys are just as hyped as they were before TFA, the brand isn't suffering whatsoever and anyone who notices the problems is a troll. lol

I find the whole thing mind boggling, if this were any other franchise people would be upset at most of the studio decisions, but it's like the Star Wars name combined with the Not-George Lucas status makes it immune to criticism.

I'm really curious how far will be too far for some of these fans. Another Starkiller Base? Michael Bay being hired to direct Ep. 10? Ep. 10 being another remake of ANH? Would any of the above raise a red flag in their minds, or would it still be "thank goodness Lucas is gone"?

You raise some good points about what the franchise has become. The brand in general has become cheapened and watered-down in the past few years. Safe films, mediocre tie-in media, behind the scenes drama, and cheap toys rotting on discount shelves. Star Wars has sort of gone from being the Olive Garden of movies to the McDonald's of movies.

...and MUCH more!

Rebels is superior to Clone Wars on every level, and how is it universally agreed as a lower quality show?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/clone_wars/

When Clone Wars got a wide release in theaters as a movie in 2008.

Rebels has finished their third season, so let's compare number of viewers...Clone Wars still had 1.5 to 2.5 million viewers per episode in their third season and finished the series still averaging nearly 2.0 million per episode. Rebels is around 0.4 million on average right now.

That means it's only pulling in around 15 to 25% of the audience that Clone Wars did (and thus only 15 to 25% of the ad revenue) but yeah...the brand isn't hurting at all and I am a troll.

Rebels has finished their third season, so let's compare number of viewers...Clone Wars still had 1.5 to 2.5 million viewers per episode in their third season and finished the series still averaging nearly 2.0 million per episode. Rebels is around 0.4 million on average right now.

That means it's only pulling in around 15 to 25% of the audience that Clone Wars did (and thus only 15 to 25% of the ad revenue) but yeah...the brand isn't hurting at all and I am a troll.

Oh wow, I knew Rebels wasn't as big as the Clone Wars, but didn't realize it was doing that poorly.

Someone doesn't know the difference between Cartoon Network and Disney XD. :doh:

Cartoon Network is in millions of more homes than Disney XD and is a more established network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"