Disney shuts down Lucasarts

None of the developers who made LucasArts what it was haven't been around in ten years.

It doesnt matter. Its still on upper management. They are the ones that decided to shelve Battlefront.

They're just a hot developer at the moment because they are recently riding high off two stellar developed titles. Im sure a lot of ppl wanna see what they can do outside of the Batman universe.
I'm one, just don't see the purpose of one studio shutting down and pushing the job their way immediately
They seem to like to choose and plan their work carefully, this is a major player in how popular they became. If they do eventually choose Star Wars then I'll be interested in testing what they offer

Yea and i blame the upper management. Not allowing your teams to develop a sure winner in Battlefront 3? C'mon. Im still wary of the licensing out model, as everyone else should be too.

You do know Battlefront was not in house? It was Pandemic. But I agree why did not they not let those devs make the other ones? Bad management for sure. Most of their great games for the past 15 years have been outsourcing. EDIT: I Saw that you did know that. But ya upper management was not good.

Star Wars property>>>>>>>>all other movie properties. This is one property that most would jump up and down to be a part of, even big devs out there. I think it's different then any movie licenses then what EA and Activision hold. LOTR may come a little close, but still Star Wars was known throughout the 90's and (outsourcing) in the early 2000's and like you said made some superb masterpieces. I just hope some day for a KOTOR 1&2 HD remake.

I don't think EA or Activision will hold Star Wars anyways. Mainly because Disney will want as much of the cut as possible, and EA and Acivision may not allow that. I think Disney will still "publish" these games, but allow other devs to work on them.

LUCASARTS may have been awesome last gen, but they've been horrible this gen. I feel no sadness towered their demise, they brought it onto themselves.

Maybe we can start getting quality SW & Indy games again

I thought Disney had a game studio that develops or publishes their games!?,Wouldn't Star Wars games be handled by them now?

I thought Disney had a game studio that develops or publishes their games!?,Wouldn't Star Wars games be handled by them now?

Maybe for small mobile games ect, but from the report it seems they know they are not the best, and will outsource to better equipped teams.

The best possible situation would be for LucasArts to commission studios to create Star Wars games. That approach worked out very well for them in the past (SEE: Battlefront, KOTOR, Jedi Knight, and Rogue Squadron).

The best possible situation would be for LucasArts to commission studios to create Star Wars games. That approach worked out very well for them in the past (SEE: Battlefront, KOTOR, Jedi Knight, and Rogue Squadron).

That is what Disney said they are going to do.

we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games,"

Pretty much, what they're doing is nothing different, really. It's just that Disney is now handling out full control of the games to companies instead of an incompetent company like Lucasarts handling it and mangling their series as Publishers.

All we have to do is hope that a publisher wants the rights to Battlefront, Republic Commando, or Jedi Knight, and then make the game. Battlefront 3 is the only definite I see getting purchased.

That and I hope since Bioware is so involved with EA now. I think going with Obsidian and creating a new Star Wars RPG in the vein of KOTOR would be something that will probably happen.

Let's put it this way. The only game Lucasarts developed themselves this gen are the Force Unleashed games, and the less said about those games the better.

I also wish they made a sequel to Gladius. :csad:

Let's put it this way. The only game Lucasarts developed themselves this gen are the Force Unleashed games, and the less said about those games the better.

Agreed.

I guess Star Wars will eventually show up in Disney Infinity

So, LucasArts has been shut down. Can't say I'm heartbroken about it. Sure, 1313 looked promising, but the best thing about that could have been just the graphics, while the game itself is mediocre. It's been years since they've done anything worthwhile.They had the freaking license to print money and did nothing.

Two licenses. Indiana Jones had a new movie a couple years ago (inb4 LOL IT SUKDD) & Lucasarts basically ignored the franchise.

I loved Gladius! :(

Lucasarts was a great company, emphasis on the was.

Two licenses. Indiana Jones had a new movie a couple years ago (inb4 LOL IT SUKDD) & Lucasarts basically ignored the franchise.

Also a ridiculously popular and successful tv show for 5 years

Also a ridiculously popular and successful tv show for 5 years

Are you speaking about The Clone Wars or Young Indiana Jones Chronicles? There was a Young Indiana Jones game on the Genesis/Mega Drive and NES. And there was Clone Wars games released on the Wii/DS and 360/PS3/PS2.

The Clone Wars games were kinda very low quality though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"