EA to develop Star Wars games

An update on the game Visceral was working on, now that EA has shut the studio down.

Our industry is evolving faster and more dramatically than ever before. The games we want to play and spend time with, the experiences we want to have in those games, and the way we play…all those things are continually changing. So is the way games are made. In this fast-moving space, we are always focused on creating experiences that our players want to play…and today, that means we’re making a significant change with one of our upcoming titles.

Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe. In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.

This move leads to a few other changes:

A development team from across EA Worldwide Studios will take over development of this game, led by a team from EA Vancouver that has already been working on the project. Our Visceral studio will be ramping down and closing, and we’re in the midst of shifting as many of the team as possible to other projects and teams at EA.

Lastly, while we had originally expected this game to launch late in our fiscal year 2019, we’re now looking at a new timeframe that we will announce in the future.

Bringing new Star Wars games to life for every passionate fan out there is what drives us as creators. It’s what has inspired us to deliver the massive new Star Wars Battlefront II experience launching in just a few weeks. It fuels our live service in Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes. Making games in the extraordinary Star Wars universe is truly a dream for so many of us at EA, and we have so many more experiences to come for players on every platform. We want to take the time to get each game right, to make it unique, to make it amazing.

We look forward to answering more of your questions, and sharing more on our plans and timeline for this new Star Wars experience, in the months to come.

EA.com

Last edited:
Eh...not really a big loss imo.

Not that I'm all that interested in Star Wars games in general, but still. If you asked me what I wanted out of a Star Wars game, Uncharted: Star Wars Edition would be pretty far down the list.

When EA says,

"we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.”

All I hear is "MMORPG" and "microtransactions." I'm willing to bet cash that the original concept didn't have a place for microtransactions and the money men didn't like that.

EA ****ing stuff up one game/franchise/studio at a time.

When EA says,

"we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.”

All I hear is "MMORPG" and "microtransactions." I'm willing to bet cash that the original concept didn't have a place for microtransactions and the money men didn't like that.
hmm, I'm just gonna wait and see what they do ,But the game's still alive and has just been moved to Vancouver.

Industry
[FONT=&quot]EA shuts down Visceral Games, Star Wars title moved to EA Vancouver[/FONT]
Published 7 hours ago. 99 comments.

so at least the game it's self isn't dead as the studio. Not happy with this and I'm unsure about the direction but I'm the cautious wait and see approched

I still can't believe Disney is partnered with EA. Of all the game companies they could have picked they go with the Sony Studios of the gaming world.

I really miss Lucasarts before Disney/EA got involved :csad:

Eh, at the time of the buyout, it was more of a mercy killing than anything. Lucasarts was no longer the studio that everyone remembers.

I still can't believe Disney is partnered with EA. Of all the game companies they could have picked they go with the Sony Studios of the gaming world.

EA had the most money to give. That's all it really boils down to.

the writer of the game tod stashwick spoke on his twitter on what the game would have been story wise . Details in EPN.tv's the
Rundown

hqdefault.jpg

[FONT=Roboto !important][YT]DYVOegPBckI[/YT]
[/FONT]

Lego Dimensions Dead? - The Rundown - Electric Playground[FONT=Roboto !important]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]288 views1 hour ago Published on 10/20/2017[FONT=Roboto !important]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]Today in the Rundown, we have some very disappointing rumours about the future of Lego Dimensions. We also get glitchy with Destiny 2, find out what might have happened [/FONT][FONT=Roboto !important]with EA's troubled Star Wars game, get slimy with the Venom movie, and finally, have some good news about the RTS game Dawn of War 3! [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Also saying in a segment similar to the rundown is the fixfrom IGN
[/FONT]

[YT]R4cakddwl5Y[/YT]
Visceral Star Wars Writer Speaks Out About Project - IGN Daily Fix

44K views1 day agoPublished on 19 Oct 2017
More details about Visceral's Star Wars game emerge, Nintendo Switch surpasses 2 million units sold, and more.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]source: [FONT=&quot]EPN.tv&[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]IGN
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

And it's ironic as the actual Sony studio of the gaming world are a good partner to work with.

They're only interested in microtransaction games going forward.

I just want a new Knights of the Old Republic game on consoles.

Or at least remaster the first two. :csad:

Tho it's not a remaster the first game is backwards compatible with the Xbox one now, and...

the game will look remarkably better on the Xbox One consoles than it did on the OG Xbox and will boast four times the pixel count when played on the Xbox One and Xbox One S and 16 times the pixel count on the Xbox One X.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/buy-og-...ts-of-the-old-republic-for-xbox-one-right-now

I thought it was only backwards compatible on the XBox One S. I'll be able to play it on my original XBox One?

I also want a new KOTOR game. Then I remember the fiasco with KOTOR II being rushed and EA could one-up that...

I'll only take a remaster of KOTOR II if it's to include all the original missing content and a fixed ending. Until then, the Restoration mod on PC will always keep me tidy.

Well, they will at EA.
yeah well this is what the head of ms over seeing all things Xbox said

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]NEWSXbox Head of Publishing Says Devs Are Questioning the Cost of Single-Player Games[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]Oct 25, 2017[/FONT]​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]|[/FONT][FONT=&quot]4 Comments[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Xbox's head of publishing, Shannon Loftis, thinks that the cost to make single-player games will...Read more

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Also more recently with
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Visceral’s Star Wars game was to be a gritty heist story with multiple protagonists

14 hours ago
EA shut down Visceral less than two weeks ago, leading to tons of speculation around the publisher’s mandates and whether there would be a...Read more

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]NEWSDetails for Visceral's Star Wars game leak; Why it was cancelled, story, and more Yesterday at 4:18 pm

Earlier this month, EA announced that Visceral, one of the best single player game developers out there, would...Read more

[/FONT]

source: [FONT=&quot]Gamezone&[/FONT] PCGN

Last edited:
Got more news from EPN.tv and a confirmation of their rundown video from game zone & PCGN

hqdefault.jpg

[YT]UORAbDWireM[/YT]

Battlegrounds Xbox One Date Announced - The Rundown - Electric Playground[FONT=Roboto !important]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]971 views9 hours ago Published on 11/01/2017[/FONT]
[FONT=Roboto !important]
[FONT=Roboto !important]Today in the Rundown, we find out when PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will finally land on the Xbox One! We also have some good news for fans of the Nintendo Switch, beat [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]up on the DC movie universe, get squirrely with Marvel's New Warriors, and finally, loot a double dose of Star Wars gaming news! [/FONT]

also confirmingthe above video with

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]NEWSEA: Cancelled Visceral Star Wars Assets Will Live on Through Another New Project Yesterday at 11:27 am

Electronic Arts just held an earnings call last night to discuss the second fiscal quarter. We learned that...Read more

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Lastly[/FONT]

EA's CEO says Visceral Games' closure "wasn't about" a move to multiplayer

16 hours ago
Comments 2

EA say that the decision to close Visceral Games had nothing to do with the publisher’s move away from single player games.
Visceral's Star...
Read more

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

sourceEPN.tv,[FONT=&quot]Gamezone[/FONT]& PCGN

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members