Disney Talking ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’ Reboot With ‘Deadpool’ Scribes Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick

I agree. Looking back at the movies Disney was releasing in the 2000s compared to the 2010's It really feels like they were a different company. I'm not saying they gave full creative freedom back then or anything, but I think the fact that Disney didn't have all there ducks in a row in that decade compared to now, really allowed for weird curve balls like the POTC trilogy, Bridge of Terabithia, Holes, or Tron: Legacy to come out and surprise you. ESPECIALLY Bridge of Terabithia.

Well look, maybe I'm being too harsh. That first movie was made during the Eisner years for God's sake and it turned out great. So who's to say you can't make something work now. Outside my skepticism of them pulling it off and instead of shutting it down like I did before, there's a discussion to be had of just how you were to do it. Your mileage may vary on that. Mine is limited for now.

Plus, these movies are made kind of separately with Bruckheimer. If they have the right story and director with a vision then it's possible. The last movies problems weren't because they were safe or the typical Disney problems of now they just had story and character issues.

I'd be interested in Gillian just as long as that's a strongly written character. Not another Rey who was just vapid and put on a pedestal and unchallenged.

Last edited:
Karen Gillan could probably pull off Anne Bonny or Mary Reade. The real Mary Reade sailed with Calico Jack for a small amount of time which could easily be changed to Jack Sparrow.

The only problem I foresee is neither of these women tolerated BS from men. So either character handled by Disney is liable to come across as "feminist" or woke.

I watched „Dead men tell no tales tonight“ and I really enjoyed it.
To me it was more like the first part of the series, because it was an independant story compared to DMC and AWE and it has far more interesting characters than OST
Carina brought something new to the feanchise and wasn‘t just a copy of Elisabeth, whereas Henry was boring like Will Turner.
Of course I like DMC and AWE better, because it was an epic trilogy with the first part.
For me:
1. Curse of the black pearl
2. Dead mens chest
3. At worlds end
4. Dead men tell no tales (the title sucks though)
5. On stranger tides

I’m sure they’ll give Karen a male costar for all the triggered blokes to feel safe with. Probably like a Geralt type father figure or cocky annoying love interest

Related to that, what's really weird is Disney having all these boy related properties like Star Wars and Pirates, and purchasing the likes of Star Wars specifically to sell toys to boys, only to then try and frame said franchises around female leads in an attempt to get more girls. I mean, they literally had the girls market covered already, lol.

Reboot or reimaginings are terms Hollywood came up with because "remake" became a dirty word. No one wanted their "remake" to be called a remake.

"It's not a remake! We are reimagining the story!"
There are legitimate reboots though. You can't really call something like Batman Begins a remake because it's not adapting a previous film it's rebooting the on-screen canon only. A remake is an adaptation of a previous film in my opinion. A remake needs elements lifted from previous films or TV.

A remake would be doing black Black Pearl again with new actors in my opinion.

There are legitimate reboots though. You can't really call something like Batman Begins a remake because it's not adapting a previous film it's rebooting the on-screen canon only. A remake is an adaptation of a previous film in my opinion. A remake needs elements lifted from previous films or TV.

A remake would be doing black Black Pearl again with new actors in my opinion.

Well Planet of the Apes is when I remember this becoming prevalent. It's a very different film, but it's still a remake at the end of the day.

Related to that, what's really weird is Disney having all these boy related properties like Star Wars and Pirates, and purchasing the likes of Star Wars specifically to sell toys to boys, only to then try and frame said franchises around female leads in an attempt to get more girls. I mean, they literally had the girls market covered already, lol.
Boys will keep buying action figures and investing in traditionally male-oriented franchises, and will even buy female action figures if the product is interesting and cool enough, and girls will invest in the product in greater numbers... provided you create interesting female lead characters and don’t succumb to bad writing, or worse, contradictory and self-defeating writing.

...which is what Star Wars had in the Sequel Trilogy, especially once The Last Jedi undid all the goodwill and investment people had in the “woke”-style protagonists of Rey (the female lead) and Finn (the black male lead), by sticking Rey in a blandly sexist and insultingly stupid story obsessed with Adam Driver’s looks over the character he was playing, and shuffling Finn off into a dumb sideplot of a sideplot, while trying to replace him with both Kylo and Sad!Luke. TROS just kept to those premises in terms of prioritization, even as it tried t9 adjust everything else, which defeated the whole point and purpose of not just casting Ridley and Boyega as the leads, but in the characters themselves.

Pirates can easily afford a female lead... but they do need a good plot, a good story, and focus in characterization. Elizabeth Swan is still arguably a great character who overshadows both her son and all the villains, because they wrote her well and even when the sequels got shaky, kept a clear focus in what her character was. Pirate King Elizabeth didn’t get any complaints; people could see the girl power messaging, but she had the badass credentials and gravitas to keep people from whining.

Give the audience a good female pirate lead, and people won’t whine anywhere near as much. Just don’t do anything stupid, like, say... trying to have her crush on the murderous Neo-Nazi who tortured and violated her mind, murdered her paternal figure, and named her friend, and all because he says “It’s my teacher’s fault!”

It shouldn’t be that hard... but for some people, it is.

Jerry Bruckheimer Unsure of Johnny Depp's Involvement in New 'Pirates' Sequel

“We’re working on a draft right now and hopefully we’ll get it shortly and give it to Disney and hopefully they’ll like it,” Bruckheimer said. “We don’t know. We’ve been working on it for a little bit.”

When asked about Depp’s role, Bruckheimer was cagey. “The one we’re developing right now, we’re not sure quite what Johnny’s role is going to be,” Bruckheimer said. “So, we’re going to have to see.”

So basically it's early stages and they aren't sure if they're rebooting with new characters or not. They probably have two ideas I'd imagine: I'd bet money there are two camps at Disney regarding Depp.

I bet they’ll use him as a mentor like Han Solo in the force awakens and then he’ll sail off and we’ll have a new star

really prefer a series on Disney+.
Imagine 6 weeks of pirate adventure stories...
I‘d enjoy that every weekend with bottle of rum

Movies are played out at this point and if Depp is gone there really isn't any need.

a disney plus show however in the vein of mandalorian meets black sails could be interesting for a couple seasons Of 10 episodes each. If the interest is there after 2-3 seasons then maybe a new movie is possible. Have it be about a new pirate or english kid learning the pirate world and exploring the Caribbean and myths weekly.

Pretty sure Depp is done at this point, unless he wants to do one more story that finishes up the character for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"